Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what to do with broken car
  • fenboy

I have a 95 golf gti 16v been running it for last 8 yrs, great car but now has come to the end of its life. it has MOT till march but the brakes are now shagged ie they bind on and make one hell of a noise when driven with calipers and discs hot specifically the front offside one. I can’t afford to fix it and want rid.

I’m not trying to sell it here but i don’t know what to do with it.

do i scrap it? sell it for parts? sell as a project?

starsh78
    Free Member

set it on fire at the weekend 🙂

fenboy

i hadn’t thought of that i’m tempted ….. 😀 where do you live?

WTF
    Free Member

Sell it on VW/golf related site or on ebay.
    The mk3 16v are wanted for engines and some other parts so worth something to someone.
    Other than that fix the fecker and sell it on.

fenboy

not worth fixing would cost £200+ to fix and thats all the cars worth fixed

bedmaker

Grt it on a Golf forum. The 16V ABF engine is fairly sought after for conversion into MK2’s so may be worth trying it somewhere like Edition 38

fenboy

will try that thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

Brakes are pretty cheap to do yourself. I’d do it for £200’s worth of sold on car.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pads and discs will be cheap from Euro Car Parts. Probably less than £50. Dead easy to change. Caliper about £50, no more tricky to bleed than on a bike. Fix it up. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

If you need a caliper, which you probably don’t. Couple of new pins, £10.

TheFlyingOx

just wind the pistons back. Block of wood across the piston faces and a big C-clamp (or G-clamp, whatever they’re called) to apply pressure. A big spanner if they’re the threaded type.

Macavity
    Free Member

If you are considering breaking the car to sell as parts; have a look on ebay to see how well the parts are selling, and how much they are going for to get an idea of the viability.
    You can get a scrap yard to take the bodyshell away if you do break the car at home.
    Front bumpers and headlight (sometimes bonnets)are usually in demand.
    Although it is still legit to break cars at home there will be problems in doing so in the future with the new V5 documents not having a “car scrapped” box to tick.
    But if you have had the car 8 years then you still have the old type V5 it will be OK.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ebay or http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum

It’ll be worth something, but it is an easy fix.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what to do with broken car’ is closed to new replies.