Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to do with an old PDA?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got an old HP Ipaq rz1710 that was bought just before Smart phones really took off. Its got a wired gps receiver and an SD card with Tomtom software on it.

Is it any use to anyone in the world? does it have any value at all, or is it too obsolete to even consider recycling?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Palm Vx from 2000 in my drawer at home – still works too 🙂

nwgiles

you could send it me, happily cover the postage

thanks

andytherocketeer

got something similar. might be a predecessor?
    vaguely recall it has some kind of card slot on it, and an expansion back thing for more cards or bigger battery or something.

Sold my old Psion 5 for something like 50 notes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had one of these from work ages ago.

God it was awful!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Check out eBay – you might be amazed! I had an old JVC mini-DVD camcorder that I was going to bin as a honestly though no one would want it. I got £55 for it!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ah-ha!
    might be worth £20…

sideshow
    Free Member

Frame it and hang above the mantelpiece as a reminder to you and your family not to buy shiny crap you don’t need.

(Hey maybe that’s a use for my old minidisk players. Yes that’s plural.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hay I’ve got one of those too..

Hacks off toeBay to list it..

kcal

Yep, sold my old newton on eBay, not for that much but at least it got some cash. Bizarrely, sold an old (but unused) typewriter ribbon from my dad’s old Word Processor for more – I guess consumables like that just aren’t made any more..

ohnohesback
    Free Member

One day your latest gadget will be that quaint and obsolete.

Cougar

Gods, I threw one of those out only last week.

eskay

I write industrial software for these things. About the only one you can still buy is an ATEX version costing about £2K!

spockrider
    Free Member

I still have an old compq (can’t even remember how to spell it, it’s that old). Clumsy horrid thing’s sat in my charity box.

CountZero

(Hey maybe that’s a use for my old minidisk players. Yes that’s plural.)

I’ve got two as well, a Panasonic portable, like a recording Walkman, and a really whizzy Sony stereo separates sized one, with lots of fancy features, like being able to plug a full-sized PC keyboard into it for adding track data, adjustable length fade-in/out, and other studio-type stuff.
    I’ve re-installed it in my audio system, via optical cable, because I’ve got loads of discs recorded from things like Later…
    that I can still play.
    Sounds good, too.

CaptainSlow

I’ve got a palm pilot somewhere – none of your fancy colour screens there you know 😉

Edit – and a minidisc 😀

I am so down with those there kids

Greybeard
    Free Member

Install memory map and use it as GPS when riding? I do that with my Axim (although that needs a separate bluetooth GPS, which you wouldn’t need). Not waterproof, so goes in an aquapac in a pocket or backpack, but works to track rides and check location if lost.

andytherocketeer

Actually, somewhere I have a bluetooth GPS mouse that used to connect with the ipaq.
    Connection was always a bit shonky, and would drop out and need to resync just when you got to an important junction or somewhere where you actually needed satnav instruction.

footflaps

Should still be good as a remote detonator for a bomb, have you thought about offering it to your local freedom fighting group?

Kahurangi

GPS+Memory+Screen = ghetto Garmin, Shirley?

dude
    Free Member

I’ve an old dell axim that’s used for memory map when out on the bike or walking. I don’t have a GPS thing for it though. Really need to get one.

poonprice
    Free Member

I took mine to Cash Converters expecting maybe £5-10 and they gave me £55 🙂 Not sure they did their maths properly.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Give me one.
    I have yet to succumb to the fad for fancy phones. Mine cost 10 quid new and it makes calls and sms messages.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

GPS+Memory+Screen = ghetto Garmin, Shirley?

Ha!
    Too big, and the GPS receiver needs a separate power source. I’ll stick to my phone-based system.

Might try cash converters in the toon…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What to do with an old PDA?’ is closed to new replies.