Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What to do with a stray cat?
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Drowning not optional, i've tried.

Joking aside, a stray tortoise shell pussy has made it's home in the next door neighbours wood shed, they have a dog that would rip it to shreds and we have a dog that would stupidly chase it onto the road and we'll end up with a massive vets bill and being sued(worse case) or a dead dog which i don't particulary want.

Nobody in the village has lost a cat, we've taken it to the vets and it's not microchipped. What do i do next? Who should i phone that would take it away?

HELP

MrNutt
    Free Member

cats protection league or your local shady restaurant, serve as duck.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Coat it in orange grease and stick it through a random catflap, hope for the best.

jond
    Free Member

Strut ?

househusband

RSPCA may come out and have a look to see if the cat is chipped – but it may well be feral and quite content with a hobo lifestyle.

grahamt1980

Fur gloves or hat?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

if its friendly make your dog like it and take it in. Feed it give it a home and you'll have a new family member. Feed it on dog food. I do and My four are fine. Get it from Aldi (the big cans) very cheap and comes in many flavours. Give half to 3/4 to the dog and the rest to the cat once a day. Simples

mmb
    Free Member

take it to your local chinese take away! there'll probably be a discount in it for you.

Cougar

Feed it on dog food. I do and My four are fine.

Let me know when they go blind or keel over from heart failure, won't you.

Feeding cats exclusively on dog food is a bad idea, it doesn't contain the right nutrients for cats. Being, y'know, for dogs and all.

(It's also pointless, why would you even consider it other than to sound special on the Internet? It's not like cat food is scarce.)

Cougar

From 30 seconds of Googling,

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_feed_a_cat_dog_food

… and many other sources.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Let me know when they go blind or keel over from heart failure, won't you.

Feeding cats exclusively on dog food is a bad idea, it doesn't contain the right nutrients for cats. Being, y'know, for dogs and all.

They also get the remnants of EVERYTHING I eat, many cute and not so cute furry and feathered friends and pineapple and pepper 🙄

My cats don't complain, They are bl**dy big as well. One slightly fat but the other ones are muscle on legs and often bring home fully grown hairs and rabbits. I keep expecting to come down one morning and find a deer's leg stuch through the cat flap because the rest if the body wouldn't fit

Cougar

Of course they don't complain.

If they're getting fish and chicken scraps from the dinner table, that'll help; like I said, it's an exclusive dog food diet that's a problem. I'm still utterly perplexed as to why you don't buy cat food though, at least then you'd know they're getting fed properly rather than assuming.

Cougar

Anyway, on the original question; Cats Protecton League, RSPCA, or a local shelter are probably your best options. Or, stick a few 'anyone want a cat?' posters up.

GW
    Free Member

a curry?

DaveGr
    Free Member

if you take it anywhere then check that they don't put healthy cats down if a home can't be found.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

an hour on gas mark 4

deluded
    Free Member

Taylor,

Holly Hedge Sanctuary just down the road might be able to help.

flatfish
    Free Member

Nope, they're full, won't take her.
    Waiting for a call back from cat protection league.

TheFlyingOx

Midnighthour
    Free Member

You might want to consider it could be put down if it gets to a rescue center but no one adopts it. There are way too many unwanted cats for them all to be homed.

A cat on our street was abandoned by its owner and attempted to move in with me and my flatmate. We did not want a cat. We did not want any pets. We however could not face the risk/guilt of causing it to be killed.

We love the thing to bits now and its been here about 5 years. Its moved a friend in as well in the last 6 months as you might see from a prev post. Its arrival has caused problems with a neighbor and we did not want another cat. Its charm itself and very amusing. It shows no sign of moving out, and strangely now we seem to be glad.

Give up, love the cat – less guilt and a lot of rewarding moments.

user-removed
    Free Member

big-chief-96 – Member
    if its friendly make your dog like it and take it in.

Some dogs are genetically programmed to chase cats / any small furry things and I genuinely believe this cannot be trained out of them.

I spent nearly three weeks trying to force my lurcher not to go completely mental at the sight of my Mum's Siamese cat – no joy. He's very well trained in almost every other aspect, but if he sees a cat / rabbit / fur glove he's off, irretrievably.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What to do with a stray cat?’ is closed to new replies.