Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What to do with 2 weeks in Morocco…
  • burgatedicky

Cashed in a chunk of holiday and have 14 days to spend. Have more or less settled on Morocco, flights from Gatwick to Marrakech seem reasonably priced.
    Am looking at a backpacking style tour of the country, but accept that I’m barely going to scratch the surface in 2 weeks.
    Has anyone been, and if so, have you any recommendations of things that I MUST do?
    Also how long would people recommends staying in any one place, ie will I need 4 days in Marrakech etc?
    I will be traveling with my girlfriend, but we are both prepared to rough it a bit if we need to!

Thanks in advance!

midnitedrive
    Free Member

You don’t need long in Marrakech, it gets old quickly! Recommend trekking through the Atlas mountains at some point during your stay.

marmaduke
    Free Member

+1 about Marrakech, Rif Mountains also worth a visit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

4 days in Marrakech is quite a lot ! I would say do that at the end and stay in a nice Rihad as a treat (we stayed in Rihad Hikaya, very nice, reviews on tripadvisor)

In January we where in a small village outside Essaouira which was mostly surfers in vans. Essaouira it’s self was quite interesting as its a working fishing port. For us the highlight where the Atlas mountains – we only did a day tour but I think a longer route taking in some of the old trading posts would be the way to go. It’s cooler in the mountains too, I would imagine the lowlands around Marrakech will be brutally hot.

poolman
    Free Member

Essaouira +1 loved it
    The hippy village adjacent is where jimi hendrix lived

burgatedicky

Thanks for the suggestions so far, what would the situation be with hiring a car? I’ve driven in most European countries without dying, but what are the roads like in Morocco?
    Also how easy is it to rock up to a hotel/hostel/b&b and get a room?

marcus
    Free Member

+ 1 for Marrakech at the end of your trip when you are a bit but ‘tuned into’ the way of life out there and can relax a bit more and soak up the atmosphere.

Driving in Morocco is a world away from anywhere in Europe. Think cows and horse & carts on the Motorway, vehicles coming the wrong way up the hard shoulder, etc. With regards city driving, I think the saying id ‘might has the right’. We rocked up at all of our hotels without pre-booking on the coast, Atlas and Sahara. – They will find room for you.

scud
    Free Member

I used to run 5 week tours in Morocco for a living so travelled round quite a bit.

Few ideas:
    Trekking/ MTBing in Atlas mountains, including Mount Toubkal (highest in North Africa), fairly easy 2 day trek.
    Cascades D’Ouzoud, stunning waterfalls on the way out of Marrakesh towards the Atlas.
    Dades and Todra gorges, great if you are into trekking or climbing.
    Chefchaouen in the north, in the Rif mountains is a lovely laid back town, unusual as they speak spanish instead of french and many of the buildings are painted a lovely shade of blue, not to far to travel if you also go to Fez. Fez is worth visiting for the maze that is the souk.

As above, Essaouira is great, very relaxed town, full of “rasta” moroccans and also known as “Windy City Africa” so the centre for watersports, especially kite surfing.

Finally if you want to experience the Sahara a little, a tour out to Erg Chebbi is good to climb the highest dune that is accesible easily to get an amazing view.

Few tips:
    – Haggling is part of the game, don’t get annoyed!
    – One of the first questions they often ask when haggling is “where are you from?” this helps them to set a price, tell them you are South African, they tend to come in with a lower price.
    – Do not go to Tangiers it is a sh*thole, the centre of drug trafficking, money exchanging etc and the crime rate is high.
    – If you are actually wanting to buy something in the main markets of Fez or Marrakesh, don’t go in the shops lining the main square or the tourist traps, if you keep walking out the back of the market, you will often get to the actual little workshops where they are making the objects, so you can buy direct at half the price.
    – Marrakesh, is a great city, but is very in your face and fine for a few days, you have to eat in the main square in the evening once (Djamaa El Fna) to see the snails, sheep heads etc and in the day time to see the various “acts” – top tip, go to Orange Juice seller number 5, you’ll see what i mean when you get there.

jekkyl

stay in a pool or in air conditioned buildings.

marcus
    Free Member

Worth calling in at Asilah, Taroudant and Tafraoute as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of 4×4 trips to Morocco, the last was in 2009..

I like the south, the area around Zagora etc is fabulous, and very rural/wild.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@freeagent that looks amazing, great photos

rocketman
    Free Member

I will be traveling with my girlfriend

The locals may try to buy her in exchange for a camel and a couple of rugs

slimjim78
    Free Member

top tip, go to Orange Juice seller number 5, you’ll see what I mean when you get there.

I’ve never wanted to visit Morocco, but like a moth to a flame this comment has me searching for flights..

What could it be?!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What to do with 2 weeks in Morocco…’ is closed to new replies.