Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What to do when approaching cows
  • timber

They are docile but scatty.
    Last week one ran through the Land Rover door because a twig fell out a tree or something.
    The day before the herd wouldn’t budge after surrounding me as I tried to shift 2 tonne lumps of wood with the timber crane, not bothered by the grab flying over their heads or lumps of wood the same size as them nudging past.

Blue alkythene pipe to make them move.

brooess
    Free Member

Get back in the car and get ready to disembark?

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant Cowes

Stoner
    Free Member

as a former dairyman, can I offer this advice.

A bull is very sensitive in it’s nose/septum. Hence why they have nose rings, and the phrase “to lead a bull by its nose”. SO next time a bull is being aggressive, with its head down, drawing the ground, snorting etc, just amble up to him, bold as yerlike, and shove your fingers in his nostrils, pinch his septum and he’ll be like putty in your hands.

How you let go of him safely however, I have no idea 😀

More sensibly….cows are luvverly. If theyre being a bit rowdy though, stand tall, take a step or two towards them and a few gibberish noises like thestabiliser says, will have you looking like a pro. And cows know not to mess about with pros.

Blue alkythene pipe to make them move

Worked on a dairy in taffland once where the herdsman took that approach. He was an arse. Herd was grumpy too. Tore my hands in the dairy with their kicking because he had them so badly tempered. Cows dont need their arse whipping.

beefheart
    Free Member

Worse than sharks they arrrrr!

alpin
    Free Member

“mooove!” is one of my favourites…. or “BaaaaaAAAAA-BaaaaaAAAA!”, but tends to confuse them. besides they are mostly German cows so i don’t know if they understand “moooove” as well as English cows do.

theotherjonv

Sorry, this is catastrophically dangerous advice.

If a herd of cows is running at you, let the dog off the lead straightaway. The cows are heeding their anti-predator instincts, and to them the dog is a wolf. If they have calves with them they will do all they can to trample and kill it.

You, on the other hand are a human, the same sort of thing that feeds and milks them, so not a threat. The dog can make its own way to safety faster than you can, and if you hang onto it they’ll trample you as collateral damage.

Any advice when your dog has a cowardice gene for anything bigger than her, and on encountering such a beast (horse, bigger dog, sheep, you name it….) her instinct is run behind me and hide behind my legs.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Picking up the dog also works (no longer recognisable as a dog).

paul4stones

If I’m on my bike I’ll chat to them in a soothing voice so they know I’m a human not a weird machine. Running through a field of bullocks at dusk is usually quite exciting for all concerned – sometimes I feel I have to stop and chat to calm things down a bit.

Rivett
    Free Member

I always talk to livestock, including the two rather large bulls I came across in the Southern Sierra. I think it helps them realise you are a human and not some 2 wheeled monster.
    The Lynx I saw however did make me jump. Didn’t have a clue what to say to it either.

sandwicheater

Let of fireworks and Chinese lanterns, they love it.

vickypea
    Free Member

One of my local trails (Cumberland Brook near Macclesfield Forest) often has had a herd of black cows that seem to hang around on the trail, just before the interesting rocky bit. The first time I encountered them, I stopped for a minute wondering what to do, then 4 blokes on MTBs appeared and one was a farmer, so I rode through the cows with them. Since then I’ve encountered the same herd twice while riding alone, and I just say hello and ride very slowly through them. They don’t back off though!

If I’m on a ride with friends I’m less brave and ask them not to leave me behind when there’s cows about!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What to do when approaching cows’ is closed to new replies.