Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What to do when approaching cows
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

Having been a roady for over 10 years I quite new to this off road lark and really enjoying it. I normally ride in the New Forest but did an epic (for me) ride in Purbeck a few weeks back. At one point in the ride I came across a herd of cows. Big buggers some where. I slowed down, but the meanest, baddest looking chaps didn’t want to back down. Luckily they didn’t have the big horns otherwise I would have been worried. What’s the best way to approach them? I’m under the impression that one shouldn’t back down and flee as this will make them chase. Any suggestions folks?

slowoldman

I always greet them with a cheery “hello ladies”. I don’t know why, force of habit I guess. Go slowly, don’t get between a cow and her calf.

They’re OK honest.

Goldigger
    Free Member

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Pretend to be a farmer. Say “hello” loudly and cheerily and continue on your way, assuming they’ll get out of the way. Don’t get yourself between a cow and its calf. And the ones with tits & horns tend to be the mellowest. Tits and no horns, or horns and no tits, requires a little more care

cooie

They usually move out of the way if you approach them. Maybe talk/make a noise as you pass.Not too loud though….. 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

Make sure you have hope pro 2 hubs.. My local cows are scared of the freewheel noise…
    As soon as they here it they run..

spacemonkey

I think cows are cool. Always have.

Like SOM says, just be calm, cheery and even chatty. I always look them in the eye, especially if any start getting a bit cocky – at which point I’ll politely bur firmly ask her/them to back off.

Be more wary if walking with a dog. Don’t let of the lead and where possible, steer out of their way.

atlaz
    Free Member

I usually shout “Bonjour la vache” and then a cheery “Au revoir” as I pass them.

slowoldman

I usually shout “Bonjour la vache” and then a cheery “Au revoir” as I pass them.

And I thought I was slightly mad!

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I have to speak French to them, they’d never understand me here if I spoke to them in English

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can shout “Horseraddish” just as you do “mint sauce” to sheep

Cows are big animals and their primary defense is to stay put ! Best to find a way around.

@altaz I still don’t understand the use of “la vache”, I’ve used it a few times and it always seems to be in an inappropriate circumstance

bitasuite
    Free Member

Haha good answers. Atlaz, I’ve just come back from France was living there for 3 years in Antibes. Never spoken to a cow in French though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I blow kisses unless there’s a Bull in there, then I find another route 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yep – they scare me. Most of them move but you always get one who thinks she’s Charles Bronson. I just shout and they move. And I keep on going and don’t stop ’til I’m over the stile.

Now bulls on the other hand…

…I wouldn’t ride through a field of bulls.

Speshpaul

Talk to them, they are used to that. if you need to be, be firm but not aggressive.
    try not to look like a predator, head down moving quietly etc.
    Horse, likewise, always talk to the horse 1st then the rider.
    Horse riders will know what you are doing. Lines like “you’re a beauty” have led to some healthy banter.

slowoldman

And I keep on going and don’t stop ’til I’m over the stile.

Clearly she is annoyed at you riding on her footpath.

ninfan
    Free Member

as said above, talk to them

slow down, stop, stand your ground and hold your hand out for them to have a sniff while chatting away at them, then ride on slowly – if they start getting frisky, stop and repeat.

smiffy

And the ones with tits & horns tend to be the mellowest. Tits and no horns, or horns and no tits, requires a little more care

What?

jonba
    Free Member

Shout at them to Moove?

The town moor in Newcastle is home to a very confident herd through most of summer. They do leave it to the last minute but if yu approach steadily and make some noise they eventually shift. Don’t do anything to scare them unless you fancy being flattened.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to learn cumbrian farmer speak. WHich is basically a series of vaguely word like noises uttered as though you are gipping, about to sick. I’ve given you the basics below.

Giyip
    Gayan
    Yupyup
    Geeeeearrrrr
    Yowp
    Nowan

….nearly forgot
    Ush ush ush ush

dudeofdoom

Good it’s not just me then who talks to the animals 🙂

I do it to dogs and squirrels as well as cats and a few weeks ago a few shire horses that I really didn’t want to sneak up behind…

But if your riding a recumbent under no circumstances approach a horse it really phazes them out … I sht you not..

gwaelod
    Free Member

Keep the green buoys on the right and pour yourself another snifter. Jenkins will tie up alongside when you get there.

Metasequoia

I always moo. When meeting sheep Baaa. When meeting cats Meow. When meeting dogs woof…etc.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I’ve always just shouted “ha” or “h’up” as I approach them. Works fine for me….rare occasion they don’t get out the way and I can’t pass I’ve found clapping works.

Whatever you do, if it’s horses, don’t rustle a crisp packet….

butcher

They’re generally pretty placid. They don’t pay a lot of attention to you just strolling along past. I’m still pretty nervous around the things sometimes though. Just the sheer size of them, and when they panic, they move! Quite a few occasions I’ve stood and waited an inconvenient amount of time, wondering whether I should just stroll on through, knowing there’s no escape routes if I do.

rogermoore

I always moo. When meeting sheep Baaa. When meeting cats Meow. When meeting dogs woof…etc.

Rabbits?
    RM.

Scapegoat

Be more wary if walking with a dog. Don’t let of the lead and where possible, steer out of their way.

Sorry, this is catastrophically dangerous advice.

If a herd of cows is running at you, let the dog off the lead straightaway. The cows are heeding their anti-predator instincts, and to them the dog is a wolf. If they have calves with them they will do all they can to trample and kill it.

You, on the other hand are a human, the same sort of thing that feeds and milks them, so not a threat. The dog can make its own way to safety faster than you can, and if you hang onto it they’ll trample you as collateral damage.

teethgrinder

rogermoore – Member
    Rabbits?
    RM.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

antares
    Free Member
    Rockhopper
    Free Member

I seem to recall reading about at leat two walkers killed by cows recently (in Derbyshire).

slowoldman

I know one was killed recently walking a dog. Cows definitely don’t like them and the normal advice is if one has a go, let the dog off the lead to fend for itself.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Do the cow dance…………

Metasequoia

Rabbits – a nibbling noise, with nose twitch.

mlke
    Free Member

I think it’s safest to assume they’re dangerous and to avoid routes with cows in if possible. On rare occasions they do kill or seriously injure people and it’s a sh1te way to go – if you want to impress your pals by being killed by an animal then make it a crocodile or a mountain lion and not bloody Ermintrude.
    Definitely be extra wary of cows with calves. Newcastle town moor is one of the few places I ‘ll regularly bike accross with cows in as I assume they’re people tolerant and the farmers will be wary of litigation so pick the right breed/whatever.
    Another issue is fields with cows in usually are rubbish to bike on as the trails are really chewed up by hoof prints.

slowoldman

That’s OTT. I’ve walked and biked through many fields containing cows. If you act calmly and don’t do anything sudden to spook them you’ll be fine. Well, that’s my experience so far!

garage-dweller

Often hard to totally avoid cows. I just try not to startle them and no cow boobs = new route time!

This could be really bad advice but I have so far not been slaughtered by vengeful cows despite my love of almost raw steak.

I do try to avoid the M or H words near them

ninfan
    Free Member

depends on the cows too – I’m more than happy to walk around my shooting permission on fields with a couple of British White bulls in, more wary with other breeds.

slowoldman

British Whites are OK eh?

ninfan
    Free Member

Just to be clear, I was referring to the breed of cattle, who are lovely and placid, rather than the EDL, who are not 😀

spacemonkey

Sorry, this is catastrophically dangerous advice.

I was referring to not letting the dog off the lead when walking through a cow field, not “do not let go of the lead if said bovine creatures start chasing you.” Therefore, not catastrophic advice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What to do when approaching cows’ is closed to new replies.