Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What to do on a day out in Cambridge.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I have a day off the bike tomorrow with Mrs BB in Cambridge. Anyone have any recommendations for things to do, sights to see, places to eat?

In fact anything at all!

BB

donsimon
    Free Member

You could always kick the crap out of the foreign language students, if you want.

aracer
    Free Member

Go punting. See the sights from the Backs (Kings College Chapel, Mathematical Bridge, Bridge of Sighs etc.) whilst you go punting.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

DS ???????

Thanks aracer

Any other ideas?

BB

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t worry, apparently I’m a racist…

john_drummer
    Free Member

trip down the M11 to Duxford IWM, look round the museum, get buzzed by a couple of Spitfires if you’re lucky, that kind of thing

stugus
    Free Member

Go punting but go the granchester route, take a big ol’ picnic and make a day of it!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Marvel at all the bikes chained to fences/gates/posts/trees, go for lunch, loads of choice from the old cinema thats a cheap withers to nice Italian restaurants. Go punting, taj pricey to be fair! Walk round some of the beautiful old buildings! Go to one of the off licences buy prosseco, get the free glasses they all seem to offer, then sit out on one of the banks of the cam watch the world go by whilst enjoying perfect company!!!

Sandwich

If it’s wet the Fitzwilliam is worth a look.

rj
    Free Member

The Kingston used to do a nice lunch and a decent pint (it’s a few years since I lived there). Punting is a good call and the Fitzwilliam is mildly diverting.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

See if any of the colleges are offering a ‘degree in a day for a tenner’ scheme?

petrieboy

Pack a nice bottle of wine and some tasty treats and sit back on the grass at silver street and watch the beautiful people go by. Cambridge in the summer really is brilliant!

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

DS ……… do you have an axe to grind …………… with me ? Genuinely shocked if you do?

Liking the idea of punting.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

BB

ampthill

if its not raininng punting is the best option

Depends what you are into but loads of university museums

Fitzwilliam, Sedwick (natural history) and Archealogy and Anthropolgy spring to mind

walk round the market

huge open air swimming pool

http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/leisure-and-entertainment/sport-and-fitness/swimming-and-paddling-pools/jesus-green-outdoor-pool.en

100 yards long!

wonder around the town and old buildings, it is amazing.

walk/bus out to american war cemetry at Madingley

rkk01
    Free Member

Duxford

donsimon
    Free Member

DS ……… do you have an axe to grind …………… with me ?

No, not at all, and sorry if I offended. If I remember correctly Cambridge has a bit of a problem regarding the international student population and as ernie outed me… Apologies again, in hindsight, not so amusing. Report the posts and have them removed if you want.

Diane
    Free Member

Walk the centre and back streets – it’s so beautiful. Early lunch at Galleria on Bridge Street (So you can sit on the balcony outside and watch the punting)
    Then head to the Backs to do some self punting – much more fun and cheaper. Think there’s one next to Trinity.

Then head out to Grantchester for tea on the lawn (May be busy but needs to be done)
    Have a lovely day!

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

DS – No problem, hope you have a great day, I’m going to!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, looks like a bit of punting for me.

BB

jet26
    Free Member

Punting. Kings college chapel worth a look. Great court trinity college. St johns college worth a wander.

Fitz if raining as per others.

If may bumps on worth a trip to the plough at fen fitting to watch (pub)

jet26
    Free Member

Cancel, bumps are next week.

Clare college gardens v impressive as is university botanical garden.

konabunny
    Free Member

Cambridge has a bit of a problem regarding the international student population

What’s the problem?

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s the problem?

Don Simon disapproves of them.

Sad really.

I don’t know why we can’t just all get along.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

don simon – Member

and as ernie outed me..

Are you still smouldering with anger from last night and need to carry it onto another thread
    the next day ? 😯

How sad and pathetic.

ton

😆

aracer
    Free Member

Then head to the Backs to do some self punting – much more fun and cheaper. Think there’s one next to Trinity

Good point – if you head down Garrett Hostel Lane between Trinity and Trinity Hall you’ll find the little hire place at Trinity College. Cheaper than Scuddies.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What to do on a day out in Cambridge.’ is closed to new replies.