Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What to do next?
  • Kryton57

You no doubt been asked the question, what do you want to do in the next X years?

I’ve been able to dismiss is previously, but now after some recent Councilling I appear to have the ability to pause for thought on this subject. The thing is, I’ve no idea or emotion about it.

What process have you been through thats led to a successful conclusion, any tips are appreciated!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I shall be watching this thread.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For me it’s all about making sure the kids are doing fine. Once they’re a bit older and more independent I’ll pick up the pieces of my own life. So for now it’s all about getting out on the bike as much as I can, keeping fit and trying to get some weight off and snatching the odd night out with friends here and there.

I’d love to be in a position to commit myself to do something challenging and impressive, like an ironman or something and i’d like to find some way that I can give something back in life rather than just being a taker – work for a charity or volunteer for something. But for now my life is busy and basically committed to the family. I’m not complaining though, i’m a lucky lucky man.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy an Audi RS4. Obviously.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My goals: next year, a post grad. The following year, a month’s salary on an eternity ring for my wife.

On the whole, I love my life and feel happy with where I am. If you’d asked me 7 years ago, the answer would have been very different.

I had counselling and took medication around 8 years ago. I wrote a list of goals. It was then broken into steps. As with anything, they needed to be measurable, realistic and positive. I wanted to be a teacher, have a stable financial situation, be happily married, have a family, have an enjoyable life-work balance and be proud of my achievements. With these goals I had to break them into smaller steps to achieve this.

The last one was the hardest (proud of achievements). I think it was really only going to be achieved by meeting my other ‘targets’. I currently work in SEN (special educational needs). I’m on track to be a qualified primary teacher by September.

The happily married and family part needed some luck. Hard work too but if I hadn’t met my wife the work to make it so wouldn’t have been possible. The work/life balance is hardest, I find. I love physical challenges including long hours. I also sometimes catch myself slacking so I can spend time with my wife and boys.

Financial security is hard to measure. As a family we’re reasonably frugal and save towards our long-term future. I no longer worry about ‘something bad’ happening. We have enough cash to cover most eventualities. At the same time, we don’t own property and it worries me sometimes.

Despite being ex-pats with no intention of returning to the UK, buying property somewhere is something I’d like to do.

edit: oh, a Range Rover. Probably Overfinched but with an emphasis on 4×4 rather than street racing. A winch and one of those tubular steel exo-rollcages at the F&R bumpers.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I shall be watching this thread.

This

….probably this time next year (or 10) at current rate.

Kryton57

I wrote a list of goals.

This is the issue. I’m happy with family and life in that respect so the only objective is a continuation of a happy and health life for all there. There are thing’s I’d like but not need. My work has asked for a personal development plan which has a list of objectives – career or personal – that they might help me work towards. My councillor has asked if I want to continue in this job next year. I’m ambivoulant on both counts.

I don’t want to go throught the “end of year will I get fired” stress of last year and this year looks to be more succesful, but if I do decide to end my Sale experience I have no idea what I’d look for. I’ve progressed internally by default for 24 years, I’m seemingly not political enabled snoough to be Director material even if I wanted that.

Bike wise, I’m not sure if this year will fuel the need for racing, or for social riding without the pressures of training and performing – again I just don’t know.

So I find myself shrugging my shoulders with no desire for change, which is not what everyone else wants to hear.

<shrugs>

jekkyl

[video]https://youtu.be/Hu-khFpTC4o[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hope this helps..

LadyGresley
    Free Member

So I find myself shrugging my shoulders with no desire for change

But surely that’s a good thing? Doesn’t it mean you’re reasonably content with life at the moment?

Edit: Sorry, but I have to say it – it’s counsellor in this instance 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m happy with family and life in that respect so the only objective is a continuation of a happy and health life for all there

you’ve answered your own question. Work, who cares, it’s only purpose is to facilitate the above. If you enjoy it, happy days, if not find another job or put up with it.

I’d suggest you start by telling the c********* to do one! 😆 They seem to be filling your head with nonsense.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve been feeling a bit down lately thinking the very same question. I’ll be watching this thread attentively for inspiration.

My personal situation; I have a fantastic girlfriend / fiancée, live in a nice house (albeit a rented one), am still reasonably young (33) and more or less healthy. However, my career hasn’t gone anywhere in the past 5 years after a (retrospectively) disastrous choice to go back to uni to study for a PhD.

Ideally I’d love to go abroad to work. I spent a year working in South Korea between 2010/2011 and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was single then though and the Mrs isn’t too keen on going to far (Spanish ladies need to be near to their mums). We have talked about moving to Spain (a no-brainer in my opinion) however the job situation in her field still isn’t that great there so we’ll be in the UK for a few more years I reckon, unless Brexit kicks her out.

Long term – I’m a hard worker and I love animals / nature so farming would be something I’d love to try. If I ever came across any money then an olive grove in Spain or Italy would be high on my list of give-it-a-gos. Just waiting for that big Euromillions lottery win!

Would like to have the first kid in the next couple of years. Mrs wants to get married first though (money – where from???? :lol:)

Bike wise, still looking for a Cotic Soul 26″ frame in large so I can build my ideal bike. Hoping to get my fitness back up to the level it was when we lived in Italy and I was riding every day in the baking sun.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was told that goals don’t need to be ‘needs’. In fact, weren’t half of mine ‘wants’?

Based on two paragraphs of text (I know your username but I’m not smart enough to remember pertinent info from your other threads), I can see some obvious goals / what to do nexts.

– have a job you enjoy and are not ambivalent about.
    (I love mine and annoy people wanting to talk about it after work finishes)

– feel secure in my job / role / position whereby progression is not key to staying employed

– solidify my roles as a husband / father /employee. Change for changes’ sake is a waste of time. ‘Becoming better or more experienced at what I already do’ isn’t.

– bike-wise: that’s the hardest. I would love a blingy Soul. A no expenses spared arrival of boxes from CRC, Cotic, Wiggle before getting tipsy and building the bike of an evening. It would do nothing for my riding or biking ambitions but ****, wouldn’t it be great!

Are you doing this exercise for counselling or PD at work?

sweaman2
    Free Member

For me the biggest thing would be trying to avoid too many regrets in later life. Seize the day and all that.

funkmasterp

I never really think ahead. Not sure why, but rarely have done. Just take each day as it comes and roll with it. I seem more content (all round) than most of my friends who have plans.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just learn to like yourself for who you are and accept that you have flaws and weaknesses but, you know what?…….that’s OK.

bearnecessities

^ That just needs the word ‘champ’ at the end.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That just needs the word ‘champ’ at the end.

‘s good advice nonetheless. Anyone who considers buying an Audi RS4 is clearly filled with self-loathing. 😉

twinw4ll
    Free Member

To be a better version of myself, to deadlift 3x my bodyweight, currently at 2.6x and to look after my own like they deserve.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What to do next?’ is closed to new replies.