Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What to do next…. 2×9?
  • crossman553
    Free Member

Any thoughts on what to do next to my stumpy? i was thinking of changing from triple to double chain ring on the xtr. its pretty flat here in suffolk so i don’t see the need for the high gearing. i will mainly be riding my local coastal paths and depending on my fitness, doing the Thetford winter series.

Can anybody recommend what size rings to use also how to set them up on the xtr m970 crank? 2×9.

cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Easiest/simplest option given that it’s an XC bike would be to sell your XTR cranks and buy a 2x XC set of cranks.

I’d go something like a 26/38 or 28/40 setup based on where you live, maybe even a 30/42.

Or just ditch your front shifting altogether, and put a single 36T ring up front…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

have to say – do yo need the granny ring in you area? 1×9 might be good for you

to go 2×9 simply remove the big ring an use short bolts – or swap for a bash ring. 36 chainring is good to get a bigger spread if you keep a granny ring

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’d say the next thing you should do is put some end plugs in the ends of your handlebars as ALL race organisers (including those at Thwtford who are normally very well organised) will insist you do and will not let you out on course if they see unplugged bars 😉

crossman553
    Free Member

thanks for the info.
    yea i would like to keep my xtr crank and the 26/38 seems a good option.
    a couple of lads i know either are single speed or 26/38 and both seem to get on well.

what would be the best rings to buy and where? cheers

pixelmix
    Free Member

I run 26/38 2×9 and I’m pretty happy with it. I occasionally wish I had a slightly higher top gear so I could churn away slowly on slightly downhill fire track, but that’s all.

I’ve got some TA Specialites rings which I’ve been happy with. I think they were 9 speed Chinook rings. A few places do them here although I got one chainring from Germany as no-one had them in stock here when I was buying.

crossman553
    Free Member

well spotted, i have been biking for years now but never entered a race before so i would be great full of any info on that to..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What to do next…. 2×9?’ is closed to new replies.