• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What to do – long travel hardtail or 4" FS.
  • tthew

Looking for a new frame, but can't decide between something like an Anthem X which will accept most of the components from my current bike, or go for a Blue Pig or similar, which would necessitate a new set of, (bolt through) forks and associated front wheel and bits.

I reckon both would arrive at a simiar price, but which more suitable? My bag is definately more XC biased, even a bit of racing but my current alloy hardtail gives me a right battering on rougher trails. Just "going a bit slower" is a distant third option, in fact I want to get faster.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Just "going a bit slower" is a distant third option, in fact I want to get faster.

new bike is unlikely to help here.

is there nothing between these two? cotic soul springs to mind.

goog
    Free Member

thats a tough one ????

hows about a skate board 🙄

tthew

new bike is unlikely to help here.

Wouldn't a more capable bike make some difference in addition to skills improving with time? This certaily seemed to be the case last time I changed.

Actually, I have considered a Soul, the 100 – 130mm capability means I could keep the lightweight Reba's for racing and easier terrain, then later get some heavy duty springers for more hardcore riding. Easy enough to swap forks over these days.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

A fast full susser every day get one of these

Shandy
    Free Member

Nuttysquirrel that looks like an elaborate way to crush your own testicles.

tthew

Pronghorn. Nice, but too expensive for me. Fast full susser was why I was thinking of the Anthem.

I should probably say here, I'll go and test some before I choose.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you want to cover xc ground quickly, I'd be tempted by a short travel FS. The geometry will be of a faster design than the longer travel stuff. Think more Turner Flux than 5-Spot.

rhys
    Free Member

Rude of me but I have a light alloy Scott Genius frame FS if you are about 5'5 to 5'8?

Onzadog
    Free Member

good point, I have a 2001 Intense Tracer in a medium. That's pretty lift/fast!

tthew

Covering XC ground quickly I'm OK at, (best lap round Llandegla, 1hr 10) I'd like something that will make the more hardcore stuff a bit cushier, without loosing too much of that speed, plus, (and this is where the logic goes out of the window) I like the look of the Blue Pig/Soul/steel long travel.

Which is a really stupid reason. I think I might be coming to an answer on my own. 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

ultimately, it always comes down to which one you like the look of more. The better it looks, the more you ride it!

rhys
    Free Member

2005 Scott MC-50 Frame In good clean condition. Well used but in good order. Very small movement (<1mm) in the rear triangle due to slight ovalisation of the main pivot bolt hole. This happened 2 years ago and has not deteriorated at all despite use in 24hr solo and Trans Wales. All pivots, seatstay and rear shock less than 4 months old(plus the year hanging up in the garage!)
    Triple mode rear ss 125mm/95mm lockout

To include the seatpost and headset
    £180 posted

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You'll fly XC/trail-centre trails on the AnthemX; Maestro lets you apply full power through choppy terrain so you end up at warp speed. I half wish I'd bought the AnthemX instead of the TranceX.

Buy a complete 2009 AnthemX at a discounted price then strip it and sell its brand-new components at sensible prices. Rebuild the Anthem X with your used components. You could break-even 🙂

tthew

Nice Rhys, but I'm 5'11 and would prefer a new frame. Reckon It'll go on the Classifieds though.

tthew

Buy a complete 2009 AnthemX at a discounted price then strip it and sell its brand-new components at sensible prices. Rebuild the Anthem X with your used components. You could break-even

I'd not considered that option!

Jenga
    Free Member

If you're thinking along the lines of a Soul what about a P7? Just so happens I'm selling a nearly new 2010 model that would suit you nicely!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

£824 (you could get £150 for the fork alone)

Pauls Cycles

Olly
    Free Member

i was in the exact same situation 2 years ago, and bought a Treance (4.2")

its awesome 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, do what Buzz says.

Sounds like you're definitely after a FS from your OP.

Steel hardtails are more fashionable here though, so don't be surprised if more people say that's the way to go.

FuzzyWuzzy

Anthem X would be an easy pick for me. I have a long-forked HT (amongst others) and whilst it's fun it's not quick like a lightweight sorted FS is (such as the Anthem X).

FOG

I went from a 100mm fork lightweight HT to a 4" FS and was astounded at the difference. I was worried 4" wasn't enough to let my amateurish body feel the difference. It is. I have definitely been going a lot better and my riding mates who all swore there was no point in FS have gone out and bought'em. Unfortunately I am still the fat useless lump I was before so I might beat mates on rough or downhill terrain but as soon as things go up they still come past me!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What to do – long travel hardtail or 4" FS.’ is closed to new replies.