• This topic has 85 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • What to do in [your town here]?
  • MrPottatoHead

Following on from Swindon Thread

What would you recommend to do in your town? Whilst I’m not going to sit here a say Swindon is great, I’d be genuinely interested to see what it’s lacking to other towns.

loddrik
    Free Member

Liverpool. Best nightlife outside London. More bars and restaurants than you could ever visit. And contrary to what the media would have you believe, one of the safest big cities in the UK too.

mikey74
    Free Member

In my town? Two options:

1. Be turned into a Scientologist
    2. Take part in all sorts of weird pagan activities.

Seriously, they’ve made TV programmes about my town.

SaxonRider

Ride. Visit many of our pubs. Visit the Castle. Visit St Fagan’s. Stroll among our cool arcades. Ride.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grease Instead, Mikey?

Had a company with an office there for a while. Strange place indeed!

Don’t live in a town, but am near two cities with marvellous cathedrals, and sadly also near to Blazingsmoke. Still haven’t found a reason to visit other than Waitrose! 🙂

theotherjonv

visit the set of the Omen

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha that’s the one Cap.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bugger all but it is a small market town so err go for a walk…

Having grown up near Swindon it’s not a lack of facilities that Swindon has, it’s vibe / culture was never very nice. Most UK towns are like this tbh and it does get unfairly singled out.

nealglover
    Free Member

In my town? Two options:

1. Be turned into a Scientologist
    2. Take part in all sorts of weird pagan activities.

That would be East Grinstead then ?

mikey74
    Free Member

That obvious huh?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Leave Southampton city centre behind and head to Butser, Old Winchester and Beacon Hills in the South Downs.

Great if you can get out there by bike, but even if that’s not possible (~20-25 miles from the city centre), getting out into the countryside with much less polluted air and amazing views is such an uplifting experience.

It only took me living here for just under 25 years to discover this! 😆

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I live on the fringes of the happiest town in Wales. It’s official. In a report out today.

We have the national cycle museum. And some great road and mtb riding in the environs.

A small number of very nice restaurants and pubs, including CAMRA best in Wales.

Mackem

Bury.
    Good beer watching steam trains.
    Canny cycling country just out of town.
    Few good places to eat unfortunately.
    Seems to be the centre of the universe for boy racers.

nealglover
    Free Member

That obvious huh?

Yeah, I used to work at Saint Hill Manor

(I’m not a Scientologist!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Probably about the only town in the county that hasn’t had the main street pedestrianized, as it’s an arterial route, and as such it’s the busiest with plenty indy shops, bars and restaurants.

The council don’t seem to see the correlation.

I digress – nice beach, plenty eating n drinking, and an airport less than 10 mins walk from centre of town.

A golfers dream too. Home of the open, and royal Troon 15 minutes walk away, two of the most expensive, and quietest courses in Scotland.

petec
    Free Member

ride (off and on road), walk, row, kayak, sail.

Enjoy the outdoors

perchypanther
    Free Member

Claim benefits,
    drink fortified wine,
    eat chips,
    buy a house for less than a cost of a car.

Hide in it so you don’t get a kicking.

matt_outandabout

Dunblane

Ride mountain bikes. Ride road bike. Ride gravel bike.
    Paddle river.
    Visit cathedral/museum/gold postbox.
    Visit Sherrifmuir battlefield, gathering stone and Atlantic Wall.
    Climb a mountain or hill.
    Walk round Laighills park, riverside park, woodlands, along river to Ashfield or down to Bridge of Allan via Treasure Island cave.
    Play a round of golf or game of tennis.
    Eat at Tilly Tearoom, Riverside, Church House or Doubletree.
    Sink a pint at the Tappit Hen.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Loddrik ..
    Sorry mate but the best night life in the country is in Newcastle ..
    Not that that’s my town ..but it is the closest city ..40 miles away ..
    I live in a small village in North West Northumberland ..surrounded by hills & forest ..so mountain biking for me is where it’s at ..
    Three pubs in the village I visit one very infrequently ..the co-op stays open until 10pm ..wild eh ?

Marin
    Free Member

Shush loddrik towns packed with people having a ball as it is. The Grapes was standing room only on Saturday afternoon and the bike lockup stands were full on Bold Street.

bazhall
    Free Member

Visit the Wakefield Hepworth gallery and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park for some culture. Erm… Sandle Castle, Pugneys Park.
    Ride round the Wakefield Wheel or follow the Transpennine Trail north or south for some biking.

tjagain

Living in Edinburgh there is loads of stuff. From top notch tourist things like the open top bus tour ( surprisingly good) to Michelin star restaurants to our own mini mountain in the city centre.

Then you can go mountainbiking on the 100+ miles of trails in the pentlands just 4 miles from the city centre or swimming off portobello beach again just a few miles from the city centre.

the you can go watch either a crap football or rugby team. does any other city have one of each? supposedly in the top flight but actually completely pants

Rubber_Buccaneer

near to Blazingsmoke. Still haven’t found a reason to visit other than Waitrose

Kneedown practice on the Nokia roundabout

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Surf

Cougar

Leave.

I’m an hour in any direction from something interesting including three national parks, but my home town has been suffering urban decay for a few of generations.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ride Swinley forest.
    Visit the local Michelin star restaurant.
    Watch a movie at the new cinema.
    Have a pint.
    It’s pretty good round this way

TheFlyingOx

Not a great deal here other than a great pub and a few camping/caravan sites, but it’s a good base for exploring the East Neuk. Oh, and there’s a small pyramid up the road commemorating the murder of some archbishop or other.

bodgy
    Free Member

Swyre, Dorset.

**** all happens. Some decent dog walks, gravelly beach, some fishing sometimes, lots of cow and sheep shit. People get old and die. Occasional dinner parties, where getting absolutely c*nted is the norm.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Liverpool Glasgow. Best nightlife outside London. More bars and restaurants than you could ever visit. And contrary to what the media would have you believe, one of the safest big cities in the UK too.

Ftfy.

Edinburgh is boring in comparison.

I live in peebles though… If you don’t kniw what do do there you’re a muppet.

wallop

On the outskirts we have Cathy Barry who lives on Cock Road.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trying to workout where the flying ix lives without googling.

grey

I was trying to figure out where flying ox is is too 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Town”? I can do village.. ?

Heard of Howard’s Way?

Then you can go sailing here.

We also have a couple of decent pubs, hardly any restaurants of note, lovely countryside and beachfronts though.. so really the best thing to do is get outside.

tjagain

josh – saucer of cream? At least us in the east know where the soap is 😉

breadcrumb

I’m more or less equidistant between 3 towns.

Aspatria- keep on driving.

Maryport- Blues Festival is worth a look.

Cockermouth- lovely little town, hidden gem is the museum in the back of Banks hardware store. Jennings tour is good too.

midlifecrashes

Doncaster. No, wait..

Actually a fair bit for the visitor these days, enough for a weekend maybe. Yorkshire Wildlife Park would be the big one, really well established now but still growing. Then you can go peek at the Vulcan, have a clamber round Conisborough Castle or see how the other half lived at Brodsworth Hall. A day at the races is still an event, and the market is still great for fresh food shopping. Shopping is pretty rubbish, we’re overshadowed by Meadowhall, Sheffield and Leeds for that, and with the main line railway, M18, A1 it’s easy to be in these, or York, Nottingham or Lincoln with an hour.

Houses are cheap, beer is cheaper and a few good places to eat. Riding? Did I mention it’s easy to get to other places?

joshvegas
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    josh – saucer of cream? At least us in the east know where the soap is

Lived in edinburgh too its great also.

I’m a fifer though so everything seems nice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

josh – saucer of cream? At least us in the east know where the soap is

Aye, when ye bend over for it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

East Grinstead

Why does that place ring a bell?

Sure I went to a rave there back in the day…

tjagain

LOL@ Josh and no beer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘What to do in [your town here]?’ is closed to new replies.