Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What to do in Whitby next week?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

We’re off to Whitby for a week, I’ve been loads as a kid but was wondering if there is anything anyone would recommend in the area? Been on the usuals like trip advisor but you lot always have good ideas that aren’t as obvious.

Money isn’t too much of a worry, but we have done the usual stuff before.

Trip on the steam railway is obviously a must.

atlaz
    Free Member

I usually treat it as a place to just do the same-old. Fish and chips, walk up to the abbey, go looking for fossils in the cliffs (give them to kids of course), go to Robin Hoods bay, go for a walk on the moors. Went a lot as a kid too so there’s something relaxing about comfortable familiar places like that

cranberry
    Free Member

There is a *little* bit of good riding around there, but you need to seek it out. 😉

A boat fishing trip ?

A day out in York

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was thinking that. Day in town, evening in the amusements losing 800 2p coins, pub. Repeat with trips to Robin Hoods Bay and Goathland in between.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Magpie Cafe for fish and chips.

wors

Is it not Goth week sometime in October? there are some cracking sights if it coincides with your trip.

Magpie Cafe for fish and chips

noooooooo go across the bridge, can’t remember the name of the chippy but much better than magpies and not a s busy either

jota180
    Free Member

Magpie Cafe for fish and chips.

Have you been lately? Tiny portions for the same silly money.

There’s a decent one over the swing bridge and to the right but I can’t remember it’s name

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

If you travel up the coast Port Mulgarve is a fascinating / eerie place with weird fossils and a sharp climb down to the beach.Staithes is arty if you like that kind of thing and Robin Hoods Bay is v.charming

stevehine

There’s a decent one over the swing bridge and to the right but I can’t remember it’s name

That’ll be Mr Chips.

cranberry
    Free Member

That’ll be Mr Chips.

Or Hadley’s

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Trenchers is the place to eat fish and chips in whitby. Opposite the train station.

Take the steam train as you mentioned,but get off at Grosmont. Walk around the engine sheds then walk to Goathland. Its easy enough I take the kids 1 and 3 all the time. Stop off for beer in Beck Hole then get to Goathland to board the train in either direction.

Coastal path is great from Robin hoods bay back to whitby. take bus to RHB and walk back.

atlaz
    Free Member

The pub just over the bridge overlooking the “river” is good too if you;re outside tourist season. Last time I was there I washed it down with a gallon of mulled wine and staggered back to my B&B.

stevehine

Hadley’s ? pfff! Whitby fish and chips should be eaten outdoors; whilst attempting to shelter from the driving wind/rain. Next you’ll be telling me there are car parks that don’t involve parking at the top of a cliff and walking up 100’s of steps to get there 😉

geoffj
    olddog

If you have a car, then loads of top biking and hiking within 30 min dtivr. Also plenty of surfing up and down the east coast, there is a surf school at Sandsend now I think. Although weather not brilliant the water is still warm.

In Whitby go to Humble Pie, its a 1950s style pie and mash cafe. Pie, mash, peas gravy and cup of tea for £4.99, served on tin plate. All pies cooked fresh in shop,, lots of choice. No I don’t own shares in it, but I do love pies and this is nirvana!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Go north to Runswick Bay for the day (if it’s dry) there’s a great pub for lunch in the middle of the village.
    Great for coastal walks, beach walks and photo stops in and out of the village

cranberry
    Free Member

Next you’ll be telling me there are car parks that don’t involve parking at the top of a cliff and walking up 100’s of steps to get there

*Must*
    *not*
    *mention*
    *the*
    *Co-Op*

D’oh.

AngusWells

Try running up the 199 steps to the Abbey without stopping.

sparkyrhino

get pissed,get a tatt,oh and while your there get me some smoked kippers from the smoke shed,cheers

transapp
    Free Member

Some if the best surfing in the country is at Staithes just up the coast. Quite a heavy reef break though so make sure you know what you’re doing!

alexpalacefan

I’d vote for The Magpie, but go in and sit down, and then don’t have fried fish and chips. The other seafood is fantastic 🙂

APF

olddog

Whatever the inappropriate :talk of reef breaks on the east coast I would stick to the known beaches for surfing unless you really know what you are doing. The north sea is unforgiving

andywoods
    Free Member

theres always flamingo land nearby star radio darlington offering half price entry vouchers, dalby forest not that far away, stables restaurant at the top of whitby nice

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Whitby next week?’ is closed to new replies.