Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do in St Louis at the weekend
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It seems the flight home on Sunday afternoon is over £1,000 cheaper than on Saturday so the company have ‘allowed’ me to be stuck in St Louis for the weekend.

Anyone been there? Anything special to look out for?

I guess I just hire a car and drive around a bit but points of interest would be good.

iDave
    Free Member

Worst US city I’ve ever been in (yes, worse than Newark and Detroit) – I suggest you briefly wander around in a daze like I did then run away as soon as you can…… They have a river I believe, take your speedos.

lodious
    Free Member

There an area with loads of nice bars with live music, close to the river, had a great night out there, but can’t remember anything about it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lodious
    Free Member

The arch is cool too.

br
    Free Member

+1 the arch.

The older town near to the arch was pleasant too, although thats only 1/2 day plus lunch covered…

ebygomm
    Free Member

Plenty to do, the arch is cool (although maybe not if you have claustrophobia). The bar area people are mentioning is Laclede’s landing.

There’s also the Science centre (free), the Zoo (free), the Art museum all in the Forest Park area, Anheuser Busch brewery tour (free), City museum (not free, but they’ve got slides made of rollers that go down 3 floors).

Ted Drewes on Route 66 does great frozen custard.

Go buy cheap outdoor stuff at REI or Galyans (although think this is Big Dick’s sporting goods now), although dollar rate not too favourable at the moment.

Avoid East St Louis (other side of the river in Illinois)

Moses

Take my mate out for a drink?
    He’s a nice guy, too. Lives quite close.

sputnik
    Free Member

Watch a baseball match!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Moses – email me his details. I am there from the 6th to the tenth if he wants to meet.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The aforementioned arch

From the top

Union Station might be worth a visit too

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – so there is a big arch with nice views. Looks like a hire car will get used. Where is worth driving to near St Louis? Any great scenary or similar?

mogrim

Been up the Arch, so +1 on that, not been to the Gardens but they’re partnering with Kew so they must be pretty good: http://www.mobot.org/default.asp

ebygomm
    Free Member

There’s nothing that I’d describe as stunning scenery within an hours drive of St Louis

Some nice places a couple of hours away, but nothing worth driving for if you’ve only got the weekend to kill imo

Elephant Rocks

Onondaga Cave

Knob Lick, Missouri is about 90 miles away for comedy photo opportunities 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to do in St Louis at the weekend’ is closed to new replies.