Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • What to do in Singapore
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

As I said Boogie street and the “lots of new flats” kind of implies it was changing from in my opinion a giant whore house as a “Malaysian” which Singapore left after only 2 years would probably prefer to ignore (aka selective amnesia)

Bugis Street was always ‘interesting’ but it was famous for that, it’s not as though all of Singapore was like that, otherwise it would have been anything special
    Sure Singapore left Malaysia after two years, when was that?

Play the ethnic card? Never.

kishkuman
    Free Member

i must re visit this thread in 6 months time when ill be spending a month in singapore! rather looking forward to it now!

boblo
    Free Member

I lived between there and KL for a couple of years or so. I’ll try and make suggestions without arguing 🙂

As a tourist go to:

Newton Circus
    Clarke Quay
    Boat Quay
    East Coast Hawker Centre
    Sentosa
    Raffles
    Orchard Road
    Changi Prisoner if war museum
    Little India (there’s whole street lined with ladyboy whores if that’s your bag)
    Bugis Junction (quite tame now compared to what it apparently used to be like)
    And Orchard whatsit if you want the department store of whores (if that’s your bag)
    I quite like Tanglin as well

Mostly food/drink related but then Singaore is reknown for its grub.

To the bloke up there Pulau Ubin is where all the taxis go to die int it?

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL @ Whorehouse but there is some truth behind that …

Used to work in both the countries many years ago but for me it was just bloody work with stingy employers. No luck in pulling put it this way.

The locals, especially the sarong party girls, love fair skin (white to be specific) people as they see them as an “upgrade” to what is locally available so you should be fine if you are into that sort of things.

😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I served there

Sorry, only just read this bit. This explains our different perceptions. We may have trouble reconciling our experiences

konabunny
    Free Member

SD-253 – pipe down, you bad-tempered, ill-informed, poorly-punctuating windbag. If the extent of your expertise is having visited Singapore as a squaddie for less than six weeks more than thirty years ago, it’s unsurprising that the only thing you remember is prostitution.

“I was merely asking” my arse why ask if you were not being ageist.

Malaysia has been so called since 1963. Someone referring to “Malaya” is probably showing that they’re hopelessly misinformed about the present or that their experience is so long ago that it’s hopelessly out of date. You, on the other hand, have managed to show that you’re both hopelessly misinformed AND out of date. Well done.

As to what’s good in Singapore now: East Coast Seafood Centre always good but Lau Pa Sat in the CBD is excellent too (and prob close to where you’re wandering around at least one day) with amazing Victorian architecture and cheap cold beers.

Maxwell Road Hawker Centre is right opposite Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and close to bars of Tanjong Pagar / Duxton Rds.

If you’re between long flights IMVHO one of the best things you can do is go for a quick outdoor swim – if your expensive hotel doesn’t have one, just go to a public swimming centre.

Shopping isn’t my thing and I don’t think there are any real bargains on Stuff in Singapore anyway, but walking up and down Orchard Road once is nice enough. Average sized European women will find many clothes sized too small or wrongly cut. Average STW readers will be walking around in velcro flipflops and wicking tops from Primark and won’t be interested in clothes shopping anyway. 😉

If you can get someone to take you for lunch at the Singapore Cricket Club, that’s pretty interesting. Also good is wandering around Singapore Supreme Court (new building) and watching a couple of trials (they do civ and crim there. More crim is done at court complex behind People’s Park Complex on Eu Tong Sen).

Raffles, Marina Bay, Sentosa – meh, skip the lot imvho.

fourbanger
    Free Member

To be fair konabunny, there are a lot of prostitutes in Singapore.

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t think there are, actually. They’re just a) rather concentrated geographically, b) not hidden and c) sought out by certain tourists.

If you’re a blue-balled squaddie preoccupied with prostitution, you’ll certainly find it, but otherwise you could live a long time without ever coming across it (bdum tish).

fourbanger
    Free Member

You’re kidding me right? As a country that has been built on trade, prostitution is ingrained in the culture. There are pros working Clarke Key! You don’t have to be a squaddie to find it. If you’re a bloke in Singapore it will find you. I’d certainly not consider taking visiting female friends to anywhere like the Four Floors in any other country. To liken Singapore to a a giant whore house is doing it a disservice, but to say it doesn’t have a thriving sex industry that is rather apparent is just incorrect.

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree totally that there’s a sex industry in Singapore that’s not going anywhere. Like everything else in Singapore, so long as it doesn’t affect business or cause instability, no-one gives a ****.

Clarke Quay? Orchard Towers? Geylang? Well, yeah, obviously there are prostitutes in places known for prostitution! But if you live there and you’re not into prostitution, then it’s not something you’re going to encounter particularly.

Waderider
    Free Member

I spent a week in Singapore once and I thought it was the most awful place I ever visited. You know the way when abroad it seems as a tourist everything is set up just to extract money from you? Singapore has this perfected, it’s like the whole place is a giant shopping mall. Nothing to do but shop and consume.

As for Sentosa being a nice place to relax, it’s a cross between Butlins and a Bingo Hall. Artifical beaches looking out on one of the worlds major anchorages for commercial ships, beside big docks. It’s like going to Harwich to hire rowing boats to play with the container ships.

Granted the cable car to Sentosa is nice engineering, and the fort is worth a dander.

fourbanger
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is, there are a lot of hookers in Singapore?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There are lots of hookers in the hooker areas of Singapore. If your impression of Singapore is that it is full of prostitutes, then you’ve been to the wrong places. You could go to Paris and come away with the impression that it is full of strip joints. You would have missed so much of Paris. If you think Singapore is some hooker city, you have also missed so much more of it. What I remember most about Singapore is the friendliness of the people, the cleanliness of the city and the food! Especially the food!

chewkw
    Free Member

What I remember most about Singapore is the friendliness of the people, the cleanliness of the city and the food! Especially the food!

It’s not prostitutes all over but generally they do hang around areas that they know they could get “upgrade”. You know the trendy bars etc.

Friendliness yes to some extend. I wouldn’t want to work for one put it this way. Stingy bar-steward. Try to finish work on time? Dream on.

Food … eerrhhmm … I wouldn’t say it’s the best in South East Asia but better than what you get here, many times over, so if you like it that’s good enough. I prefer the food from the neighbouring countries put it this way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hookers – only in hooked areas, as above. I tend to stay at the Amara and the are’t any there. Singapore Airlines hosties, though………….

Food – I think that an advantage of Singapore is the wonderful mix of national foods represented. A melting pot, if you will.

yunki
    Free Member

I know a good funk and rare groove joint if that’s your bag…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yunki, seen earlier….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Food … eerrhhmm … I wouldn’t say it’s the best in South East Asia but better than what you get here, many times over, so if you like it that’s good enough. I prefer the food from the neighbouring countries put it this way.

Agreed, sort of. Best food in SE Asia is in Penang

konabunny
    Free Member

I had some Indian food in Georgetown that is the stuff of legend in my house…

So what you’re saying is, there are a lot of hookers in Singapore?

“I went to Manchester and the whole time I was there, I saw track cyclists everywhere!!!” 😆

fourbanger
    Free Member

They aren’t any hookers in Amara. All righty then….
    I’m not saying the place doesn’t have it’s merrits, I spent a couple of years there. But people saying there aren’t a lot of hookers and that they’re just in certain areas are just wrong. Why do people feel the need to defend it for having a lot of hookers? It’s just how it is there, the same as Manchester having a lot of track cyclist. Non derogetory, just true.
    Food it does well. Sambal stingray, oh how I miss you!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Singapore’ is closed to new replies.