Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What to do in Rome with my family?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Flying out on Thursday morning for three nights with my wife and two 8 yr olds. Obviously going to the Colosseum and have found a 3-D ‘History of Rome’ tour thing that the kids will like, but what else should be on the list of ‘must-dos’? Happy to drag them around a few sights but I think they will get a bit bored if that’s all we do.

Cheers

Murray

Vatican Museum is excellent as is St Peters. If they still do the tour inside the dome itself, do it.

Lots to see just walking around – roman remains all over the place.

The Colosseum is sad – so much death 🙁

BigJohn

Do what the Romans do.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do what the Romans do.

Park badly and shout lots?

SaxonRider

Park badly and shout lots?

Bravo, you. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get in early queues for the Vatican… 3-4hr wait if you leave it until mid morning.. or go late.

fasthaggis

Go bird watching.

Starlings in Rome ^^^
    Or…… lose the kids in town then pick them up from the police station as you head back to the airport. 😉

SaxonRider

I would honestly say, just make sure you stop in some of the many squares around the main sights. That way, your kids will get to run around, absorb the feel of the place, and do so in the shadow of great, historic buildings and monuments.

There is plenty of opportunity for them to clamber about in the forum, for example, but I am thinking more about the square in front of the Pantheon, or the Piazza Navona.

There is so much to enjoy, and so much to explore – for kids and adults alike.

plumber
    Free Member

Yes prebook for the Vatican Museum but its is an experience

Climb up St Peters Dome 😀

Watch nuns fighting over one another trying to get closest JP II tomb in the basilica

Wandering about

To be honest the coliseum is a nightmare to get in and isn’t all that anyway apart from the history

I enjoy traveling on the tube for the ample attractions 😆

vickypea
    Free Member

The Pantheon is pretty impressive.
    You can also take a short bus ride to the Via Appia where you can hire bikes or walk and visit the catacombs.

johndoh
    Free Member

where you can hire bikes

Not riding bikes in Rome with two 8 year olds!!!! Christonabike.

vinnyeh

Don’t miss Bartolucci toy shop.

dragon
    Free Member

If you want somewhere for the kids to run around then you can’t go far wrong with the Villa Borghese gardens. The Galleria Borghese situated in the park is amazing, but I’m not too sure the kids will enjoy it, so maybe keep for another time.

vinnyeh

If you want somewhere for the kids to run around then you can’t go far wrong with the Villa Borghese gardens. The Galleria Borghese situated in the park is amazing, but I’m not too sure the kids will enjoy it, so maybe keep for another time.

You can also hire bikes there, if you want.

wallop

I liked the Forum best.

franksinatra

Forum is amazing.

We did a food tour in Rome
    Eating Italy Food Tour

We took our three kids (11, 9 & 7) and it was superb, the absolute highlight of our trip to Italy. Fascinating neighborhood, great food, really fun guide. Definitely recommend it if you want to get away from the tourists for a morning

mogrim

Another vote for the Borghese gardens and of course the Colosseum+Forum. The kids probably won’t like the Vatican much, although I suppose it is a must visit. The Zoo (in the Borghese gardens) isn’t bad if you feel like doing something a bit more kid-orientated.

Otherwise food+ice cream, and generally wandering around. Usual advice: avoid restaurants with pictures on the menu, and don’t buy drinks (soft or otherwise) from the stalls around the centre unless you want to spend 4€ on a can of coke…

DougD

Forum and Colosseum were really interesting. Don’t bother with the audio guides, Rick Steves has a good app that you can download and use as audio tour. Definitely recommend villa Borghese gardens, hire a 4 person bike thing there and go explore.

lucien

Been a few times, last time we did a night time (8.00pm)segway tour of the sights, which was the best fun on two wheels I’ve had in mixed company. Helped us suss out where to go and what to re-visit as you can cover a lot of sights quickly, plus the guide was very knowledgeable. They do day tours also, it was just quieter later on.

johndoh
    Free Member

That food tour sounds great, but the kids wouldn’t be for it and my wife wouldn’t enjoy it too much either 🙁

vickypea
    Free Member

Not riding bikes in Rome with two 8 year olds!!!! Christonabike.

Nooo, the Via Appia is an ancient closed road in the countryside outside of Rome but a surprisingly short bus ride away. I wouldn’t suggest riding a bike in the city!

johndoh
    Free Member

Just got back – great time and did the obvious sights but the highlight for the kids was Borghesi Park and the electric assisted rickshaws – they were howling with laughter and that’s all I could hope for 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Rome with my family?’ is closed to new replies.