Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What to do in Milan
  • roper
    Free Member

I am going to Milan on Friday with work, but we will have two free days to do what we like. We already have Art galleries and the Last Supper viewing booked for other days, so we are looking for other activities. There will be 19 people of mixed ages and abilities and disabilities, so we may have some issues with public transport. Our Hotel is in the centre so we can get around the main city.
    What would be good to see or nice places to go and visit?

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s only an hour to the shore of Lake Como

It’s only 40 mins to the Moto Guzzi Museum & Factory

Rachel

DrJ

The “Navigli” canals?
    Shopping – or watching other people shopping – at the Galleria?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Duomo?

Train to Bergamo to look around the old, walled city?

eddie11
    Free Member

Cathedral and the shopping centre will take a morning then as above get a train to somewhere good. It’s the dullest place. Oh and dress incredibly smartly and prepare to judged by everyone on your sartorial choices.

thomthumb
    Free Member

roof walk at the duomo is well worth the few euros: not sure on disabled access there though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

La Scala?

roper
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ll look into those suggested.

tthew

Italian technological museum. http://www.italiantourism.com/museotecnica.html

chickenman

We enjoyed the fortress; it has got lots of stairs though. Aperitivos are late afternoon drinks with a snack thrown in; you can get ripped off or you can find somewhere where you get, say an Aperol Spritz and a top notch buffet (you can make a meal of it!) for 8 euros!
    We were there last July and Milan was hard going in 38deg of heat but it’ll be foggy now I should imagine.
    Great place, though I think Turin has more to see.

jimmy

Go To Starbucks. Apparently.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think there may have been a lift to the roof of the Duomo – it’s was the highlight of our trip.

Wasn’t mad about the city TBH. Bergamo was way nicer.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

It has a great park with loads going on. Also monza is a couple of train stops away if you like f1 or motor racing its an awesome place.

cudubh

OP we are going to Milan in a couple of weeks. I had a look at tickets for the last supper today and it looked like they were booked up to March 2017. Where did you get yours?

roper
    Free Member

Great suggestions. I have to look into the Duomo, it could be a problem with access though. The Science museum looks good.
    cu dubh, We have an exhibition opening in Milan so the head of culture, or Mayor, have organised a private viewing of the Last Supper. I understand it is very hard to get tickets normally, so you might find it difficult.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cappuccino is frowned upon after 11am, apparently.

Filter coffee as we used to know it is an Americano, and to an Italian it is one step up from dishwater.

cudubh

Roper, love the cool, oh yeah the mayor sorted a private viewing for us. No doubt I will now get grief from the wife along the lines of ,why didn’t you get the mayor to organise us a private viewing. Hope you enjoy it. Closest I came to that, and not really that close, was a civic reception and dinner at the Burrell Gallery in Glasgow when we had it to a group of maybe 40 of us. It’s nice not to be bothered by the peasants.

roper
    Free Member

cu dubh, You still have time to get your paint brushes out 🙂

DrJ

OP we are going to Milan in a couple of weeks. I had a look at tickets for the last supper today and it looked like they were booked up to March 2017.

Wow – when I went <mumble> years ago I just walked in off the street! There are just too many damn’ tourists everywhere these days 🙁

What about seeing the Caravaggios at Pinacoteca Brera?

MoreCashThanDash

I’d suggest getting on the train – main station is a masterpiece of Facsist concrete architecture – and head to Turin, which I thought was much nicer than Milan.

Sorry.

cudubh

MCD, already been to Turin. I used to have some friends there. Brings back memories of slightly squiffed father of said friends waving his gun about during dinner telling me how dangerous the Mafia can be while I had visions of getting shot. Those were the days.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Milan’ is closed to new replies.