Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do in London this Friday?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ll be in London this weekend for the Virgin Triathlon. I’m in the Olympic distance on Sunday at 1:15 with a mate, and his wife is doing the sprint distance on the Saturday, so those days are pretty much taken.

I’ll be going to London with the missis early Friday morning, as she wants to have a day out there. She’s quite keen on going to the scinece and Natural History museums, but I’m open to any other suggestions for something not too expensive to do.

Any suggestions? London Eye maybe? Not fussed with “attractions”.

Will be staying near Excel Centre, so can we get a river taxi or something up to somewhere near the museums?

And anywhere good for a nice lunch in the museum area if that’s where we end up?

I go to London once a month or so for work so know how to get around, but don’t do any sightseeing stuff, bar walking from St Pancras to Westminster or Waterloo areas.

simon_g

The museums are great – you’ll need to be very selective to do both in a day. I like Kensington Creperie but there’s loads of places around South Ken tube and down Old Brompton Road.

mogrim

The museums are great, personal favourite is the V&A but the others are good too. Then walk down to Harrods, there are loads of cafes en route to have a meal in.

Another option would be the British Museum, then eat round Soho somewhere, the chinese restaurants in chinatown or some of the smaller places around Wardour St.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Cheer simon_g. NHM looks a bit more interesting to me than science museum.

Will check out the creperie.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Chinatown might work, she likes her noodles.

Will check out V&A and British Museum too.

wl
    Free Member

Tate Modern and lunch in the cafe with its amazing view.

Andy_B

Catch the emirates airline across to the O2 then get the Tames Clipper service up the river and get off at the London Eye.

For Chinese near the NHM go to Shanghai.

Get on a Boris Bike.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, had a great weekend.

Drove to Premier Inn at ExCel for 9:15am, got a Travelcard and DLR to Royal Victoria to pick up the Emirates Airline cablecar across the Thames to O2.

Picked up a Clipper, which went like the clappers, up to the London Eye, Tube to Kensington, early lunch in a Tapas bar (ouch spendy! cafe at NHM would have been better), then on to Natural History Museum, then V&A, then a walk through Knightsbridge, past Buck Palace etc back to tube and boat and DLR to Hotel.

The missis loved it, and I got loads of brownie points.

An I had a good triathlon on the Sunday too, in abysmal weather conditions, that made it all the more fun!

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

so you took her up the Oxo tower then?

geoffj

cafe at NHM would have been better

It really wouldn’t – the cafe in the V&A on the other hand….

geoffj

Stoner – Member

so you took her up the Oxo tower then?

Bit early for that sort of language young man 😈

Stoner
    Free Member

thrrrrrprprppppp!

I love those clippers – never been on one yet, but they look like they go like stink from the bankside.

senorj

Gentle stroll around Regents park with a picnic after? – forecast not too chilly for Saturday – I think there’s an art fair in there this weekend – towards Camden/zoo end of park. Plus from the Southern tip you’re v close to shopping hell/heaven ,dependant on your outlook or bank balance! 🙂
    Have a good triathlon!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to do in London this Friday?’ is closed to new replies.