Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What to do in Guernsey (for a day)
  • 40mpg

Picked up an offer of a day trip to Guernsey which was too good to refuse (£20 return each!). Got about 8 hours for a bit of sight seeing – what are the highlights within walking / bus distance of St Peter Port?

samuri
    Free Member

I picked up a woman in a bar in guernsey once.

Turns out she wasn’t a woman. You could try that.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whateveryou do DO NOT DRINK any Breda Royal Dutch lager

3 pints and you loose the ability to speak IME!

bartesque

40mpg plenty depends when you are coming over

Herm is a great place to visit, plenty of beaches, great restaurants castle cornet or bring your bike condor should let them on FOC

cool hand

Breda now brewed here in Guernsey but yes best steer clear 🙂

40mpg

Going over Saturday with the missus. So you’re not much help so far 🙄

bartesque

weather this weekend going to be great

Get over to Herm on the Trident ferry 15 mins best beaches lunch in the Mermaid

Back in SPP evening meal at Mora

candie gardens, victor Hugo house, and castle cornet all within walking distance

Drink at the cock n bull or the Swan

is that better!

40mpg

Brilliant! I see where the ‘bar’ in bartesque comes from 😉

dmorts

Breda Royal Dutch lager

3 pints and you loose the ability to speak IME!

I found that talking was no problem, walking on the other hand…

Second Herm or maybe Sark for a trip. You need to hire bikes on Sark really but with Herm everything is walkable.

bartesque

40mpg

that’s how rumors start if we were talking Alderney 2000 alcoholics clinging to a rock

dmorts

Agree Sark is great and it is the folk festival this weekend

but OP only has 8 hours and boats to Sark fewer and take longer

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

When MrsWCA & I visited we walked around a bit, sat drinking coffee watching people pass by, walked around a bit, sat drinking watching people passing out. Pleasant enough place to just kick back and relax rather than an 8 hour search and see route march

40mpg

WCA, I don’t intend exerting myself too much as Ash & Robin are taking me on a mountain biking pub crawl to, round and back from the IoW on Sunday! (keeping with the foreign travel theme this weekend)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We went for a five day stay there a few years ago. Best thing about it was that we got caught in traffic on the way down and missed the boat. We had a lovely day in Weymouth and Portland waiting for the next one.

IIRC the northwest coast was quite pretty with a museum in a disused light-house and the south coast had big cliffs.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’d 2nd the Herm suggestion, folk festival in Sark this weekend will mean the boats will be full as its a sell out.

If you choose not to got to Herm, check out the bus station for a cheap round the island tour, it used to be Route 7 but the routes changed a few weeks ago so i’m not sure of the number or frequency but the guys in the office will help out.

St peter port is worth an exploration, the tourist office will let you know if theres any walking tours on which are always interesting, i’ve lived here for 40+ years and always learn something new. If theres no tour on then just have a mooch around the back streets and lanes.

Terrace Cafe does great al fresco Thai food and a good selection of beer, dix neuf is a bit more up market cafe, Petit Bistro does a good French lunch and the Boathouse does excellent sea food.

Ask anybody for directions and as long as you get a local they’ll help you out.

Castle Cornet is a great way to pass a few hours as well as Victor Hugos House, the German Tunnels at La Vallette will give you an insight into the occupation, more indepth occupation insights can be got at the Occupation Museum in the Forest.

There’s a ship wreck museum at Fort Grey on the west coast which is also worth a visit.

South Coast cliffs are great for a scenic walk but it will take you all day to walk the entire cliffs.

Glorious weather this weekend will mean plenty of people on the beaches, most popular is Cobo but it will get busy, Grandes Rocques is a good second choice as well as Port Soif (great for swimming when the tide is up, great rock pooling when its out)

Pembroke is also a great beach whatever the tide height and theres a good beach cafe there too.

Fermain bay is also a nice beach on the east coast with a good little cafe, can be walked along the cliffs from St Peter Port (after you’ve been to the German Tunnels – its on the way).

You can also rent bikes from a guy near the tourist office.

If you fancy something adventorous check out outdoor guernsey http://www.outdoorguernsey.co.uk/ or Island Rib Voyages.

bartesque

jees uncle fred do you work for the tourist board

very concise and informative

shh! don’t tell everyone one about Fermain 🙂

timidwheeler

Farm implements museum?

UncleFred
    Free Member

Folk museum at Sausmarez park has some farm implements.

timidwheeler

Brooklands Farm Implement Museum Kings Mill, Castel
    Situated on a working arable farm, this private museum exhibits agricultural implements used in Guernsey for the last 100 years.

Please tell me it’s still open?

zokes
    Free Member

shh! don’t tell everyone one about Fermain

It’s quite nice, isn’t it 😉

Smooth beach by Mark-Farrell, on Flickr

UncleFred
    Free Member

How was you day? Hope the sea fog didn’t spoil it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I bet he drank 4 pints of Breda, found he couldn’t talk and then when it was time for the loo, found his legs didn’t function either.

40mpg

Sea fog stopped about 500 yards off shore. Plenty of sunshine hence my now glowing bonce! Was great sitting up on Clarence Battery watching ships appear out of the fog – very spooky.

Sampled the Rocquette cider which is highly recommended (although I had to drive home from Poole later so was sampled in moderation).

All-in a lovely day wandering around SPP and the cliffs to the South. Plenty of seafood, finished the day sat in The Boathouse veranda watching 3 old men take about an hour to get off a small cruiser with the use of 2 dinghys. By the time they’e finished the tide had gone out so they could have stepped off anyway!

Didnt get as far as Fermain bay as it was too hot, so just chilled out locally. Pleasant evening stroll through Candie Gardens too.

Thanks for the tips above, very useful, will definitely have to get back for a long weekend and explore the rest of the island 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Guernsey (for a day)’ is closed to new replies.