Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What to do in geneva – bike or non bike raled
  • onandon
    Free Member

I’m going to be in and out of geneva for the next 4 month. i’ll be over for a couple of weeks each visit so
    I’ll have plenty of time to kill. so what to do? What to see?

Any suggestions

camo16
    Free Member

Out of interest, what work are you doing that gives you 4 month in Geneva?

onandon
    Free Member

I won’t be working. My contract ends in oct so taking a few months off.
    My wife is in geneva for 6 months on a project, I’m going to go back and forth between the uk while looking for a new contract.

LoCo
    Free Member

Train to champery is 45 mins ish , change at Aigle on to narrow gauge and drops you next lift station, happy days !

onandon
    Free Member

Now thats the sort of info I need 🙂
    I want to work out who long it will take me to cycle around the lake – that’s one possibility

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.cyclosport.org/event/26-May-2013/Switzerland/cyclotour-du-lman.html

mights answer the one about riding around the lake.

depends on what you like i guess, walking through the parks on the north shore, climb the tower of st pierre or look at the 4th century remains in the basement. Go to the park to see the reformation wall, go see the jet d’eau and the jardin anglais or the jardin botanique (no kew) but nice way to spend an hour and see the animals.

there is swimming and diving boards in Lac Leman, but in the winter????

garage-dweller

[geek] If you can do a tour of cern that would be really cool. I went with my school about 20 years ago and it is a very impressive setup.

[/geek]

iolo
    Free Member

Take a lot (and I mean a lot) of money with you.
    I was there for a weekend and spent so much money in the bars (stag weekend).
    It would have been cheaper to fly to New York and stay for a week.

onandon
    Free Member

I know it’s a best spendy but that’s taken care of.
    Our apartment is just by the jet d’eau ( or the squirt as we call it ) one street back from the lake front.

It’s a lovely place but I know I’ll run out of my own idea of things to do pretty quick.

Straightliner

4 months takes you nicely into winter so if you’re into winter sports you’re very sorted on that front. Chamonix, Portes du Soleil, Megeve etc all within an hours drive.

In the meantime there’s riding off the Saleve and in the Jura.

Oh and steak/frites at the Relais de l’entrecote not far from your apartment.

onandon
    Free Member

Yum, the steak and grief needs to be sampled 🙂
    We are the other side just next to the Parc des Eaux-Vives.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You could go down to Montreux, on the lake Geneva shoreline. Make some records, with a mobile,if you don’t have much time.

Sancho
    Free Member

not really much to do in geneva its as boring as hell, and just not very interesting, the people are silly rich and dull and best thing is to head out of town and go somewhere interesting in the Alps

Northwind

Sit in the airport all day reading books and playing bejwelled, with occasional trips to the supermarket. Well, that’s what we did anyway.

andybach
    Free Member

What they said about money^^^ – I’m dating a girl there , it would be cheaper to buy her a flight to Edinburgh than go out for dinner …..

Lots of people leave at the weekend so Thursday night is generally busiest – Jura is lovely, v easy to get to and great for biking or just wandering about

There are some some “hash house harriers” who go out running regularly who seem like an ok bunch

mrmoofo

Ski and snowboard – loads of resorts around. Cham is about 40 minutes away … if you are there for 4 months and this is you bag, then think about getting a season pass
    Eating and drinking in CH, as well as skiing is very expensive.
    Daily lift pass will be 75 ish CHF – so 50 quid.

If it wasn’t winter – the mountain passes on a motorbike are fantastic, as are the Jura. But closed from Oct until early July.

Some pretty towns to go and look at – but CH is a long way from being vibrant, friendly and full of sponateous fun

onandon
    Free Member

but CH is a long way from being vibrant, friendly and full of sponateous fun

i have my wife for that 🙂

thanks all

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What to do in geneva – bike or non bike raled’ is closed to new replies.