Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What to do in Crete??
  • burgatedicky

Its time to book the two-week “end of a manic summer of work” holiday.
    Last year’s Morocco trip was fantastic, but buying a house has placed some strain on the household budget!
    Thus, we are looking a bit closer to home, and planning on using some timeshare weeks we’ve got lying about.

Crete has good availability of good quality accommodation (self catering) and I was wondering what the STW clan had by way of things to do.
    I wont be taking the bike as Mrs BDicky doesn’t ride, but we both hike, aren’t afraid to dive well off the beaten track, and abhor lying on beaches!

With that in mind, what do you reckon?

Cheers in advance,

Richard

mogrim

Loads of history (Knossos in particular), snorkeling/diving, hiking might be a bit hot though…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Samaria Gorge is a well known hike. Knossos is near the capital Iraklio (Heraklion to us heathens).

Bali was dead quiet when I was there back in 97. And I mean DEAD quiet. Not even a single ATM, nearest was in Rethymnon. But that was a long long time ago.
    Don’t go in July or August

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll ask a mate at work, he’s got a house there. Lucky git.

bubs

2nd for Samaria Gorge but it does get swelteringly hot. Depending on personal preferences you may want to head to or avoid Malia.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ditto Hersonnissos (sp.)

burgatedicky

Cheers so far people, for the record we are looking at going in the first 2 weeks of October, so hopefully weather wont be too hot.
    Also wondering what will happen when the Greeks (probably) crash out of the euro…much cheapness or total carnage?

JulianA
    Free Member

Crete is stunning (and huge) – the western end is our favourite.

Chania is fantastic, the Akrotiri Peninsula has a wonderful monastery – Tsagolorou – and a brilliant walk down from Gouvernatou Monastery to another (abandoned) monastery, Polyrhinia is good, Lake Agia has the best birdwatching on Crete, Falassarna is good, Elafonissi is exquisite, Aptera is beautiful, Souda Bay CWGC Cemetery is very moving (and has the graves of John Pendlebury and Dudley Churchill Perkins among others), Armeni Cemetery and Spili are great.

Rethymnon is nice and has a very good museum, ancient Lappa is well worth seeing, Georgiopolis is worth a stop, the Askifou Plateau is exquisite and has an excellent war museum, the Imbros Gorge is amazing, Frangokastello has a Venetian castle, Hora Sfakion is a pleasant place for a coffee / drink/ meal. How long do you have?!

We’ve spent a total of six weeks there so far and would happily go again tomorrow.

October should be warm and the sea should be very pleasant – Frangokastello is a great place for a swim.

Don’t tell anyone how good it is though – we don’t want it getting too crowded!

Oh, and don’t forget to visit Omalos.

Just a few thoughts – hopefully you will like some of the things above!

Ps – the Botannical Gardens of Crete is also an excellent place to go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Crete??’ is closed to new replies.