• This topic has 46 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ian-r.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • What to do in….. Budapest
  • sadexpunk

thanks for the recommendations. unfortunately mrs ex-p is suffering from that foot fasilisomethingorother so is struggling to walk which is a shame. doing our best to get round by metro and tram and have been to a few of the places ^^^ but i think the buda hills is out of bounds this time.
    faustos is on our list for eats, and still havent seen the market yet. was going to go tomorrow but its shut sunday so will go monday before the flight home.

thanks

sadexpunk

well, all done and dusted now, had a good weekend helped by your advice. as i mentioned earlier, google maps was invaluable, downloaded the area over wifi, saved all the places you advised, data off, gps on, bobs yer uncle. its the way ill do all trips now i think.

house of terror was thought provoking, got told off for taking pics, especially of the padded cells etc down in the basement, but carried on when security werent looking 😉
    sczesceny baths were a little disappointing i thought. lovely and warm but packed out, and seemed a bit scuzzy for want of a better word. bit grubby. had a dirty nappy in my ‘cabin’ :-/ went for a walk behind gellert the next day to see if we’d chosen the wrong one, but there was only a small outdoor pool, the big pool was quarter full of mucky water so i think we did the better of the two.

found the quirky little sirius teahaz in the end, strange little place in a good way.

szimpla kert was the most random place ive ever been i think!! never known owt like it, you never knew what was round the corner, great place.

also finally made the ‘for sale’ pub. reviews were a bit scathing about the service but we found em great. big portions, nice food, live music, was a good night.

also visited the market, but didnt get round to trying any langos. palinka and unicum werent to my taste unfortunately, i stuck to dark beer. and food? nah, not for me. i always try and eat local rather than finding the nearest italian or whatever, but i just couldnt face the pork knuckles, pig trotters etc all in paprika.

views on gellert hill were great, did a lot of walking despite wifes bad foot. overall a cracking city and cheap enough, we’ll go again sometime im sure.

travelled with jet2, cant fault em. more leg room, more luggage allowance, never seem to queue for anything, we were landed and out the airport in about 20 mins both times.

thanks a lot for all your help.

ian-r

How did you travel from the airport to your hotel in the end?

sadexpunk

we were going to book at taxi as that seemed the best option beforehand, either from city or fo taxis, the two big ones apparently.

but….. when we got to the airport we saw the shuttle bus desk immediately on the right so went and asked there. it was 5000 forints (about £12) for the both of us and the bus was leaving in 10 mins. there were maybe 5 other people on it so there would have been a couple of stops elsewhere too but we were first stop anyway. we did the same returning, booked the shuttle through the hotel (altho in hindsight id have just booked a return trip at the time).

painless, and good service. turned up at the hotel to take us back dead on time, with only one other person so id always do that in future. cheaper, and its the same traffic as a taxi has to go through too, so theres no real time saving in taking a taxi.

HTH

ian-r

Cheers for the information.
    Off tomorrow for a few days of walking, eating and (sensible) drinking.

sadexpunk

nice one, report back here what you did, where you went etc, id be interested for next time 🙂

ian-r

Had a brilliant four days. Stayed in the Corinthia. A bit spendy but very nice.
    Walked miles and saw most of the main tourist spots.
    High point was the House of Terror which is very thought provoking. Can’t believe anything is still standing. Evening cruise on the Danube was good. I don’t know what the civic electricity bill is but they know how to show off their buildings.
    Food and drink wise – Cafe Kor near the basilica is excellent but need to book. There was also a selection of stalls set up in the square at the top of the main pedestrian shopping street that served local food but did not bother with the cockerel testicle stew. Szimpla Kavezo and the Hopfanatic pubs are both good for the local craft beers.
    Well worth a visit

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What to do in….. Budapest’ is closed to new replies.