Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What to do in budapest
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Right people the missus is giving me grief about not doing research for our trip to Budapest this weekend so I’m after ideas please

Initial thoughts are land Friday lunchtime do bus tour to get a feel for the place followed by a wander or trip on the river and a try of the ruin bars in the evening

Saturday over to the baths and city park area plus there’s a beer festival to visit

Sunday over to the castle and the bits around it – not sure Sunday evening

Monday -?? Flying back early evening

Any great ideas for gaps or flaws in my plan

Plus what is the best what yo get from and to the airport

Many thanks

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ll ask my mate at work tomorrow, he’s just been.
    Or it might have been Bucharest. I’ll check.

postierich
    Free Member

To start things on a cheerful note House of Terror Museum very sobering then find a back street cafe selling sausages and cabbage in a cigarette smoke filled room. The waitress will not smile.
    Finish off with a massage in the old baths all bases covered there!

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve been to Hungary many times and always enjoyed the place and especially Budapest but I’m beginning to have second thoughts now about the Hungarians who have shown themselves to be the worst kind of xenophobes in dealing with refugees.

It sheds new light on the behaviour of my former neighbours, Hungarians who never stopped moaning about their host country, Britain, as nothing was ever good enough for them.

tomaso
    Free Member

Gellert Hotel for its amazing spa – not unisex mind….

And the indoor market is worth a look. Goulash served from a cafe in the gallery was nice!

kimbers

Szechenyi Baths are unisex and if you like chess ….

http://www.mrfs.net/trips/2008/Carpathians/Pest/szechenyi_baths.jpg
    Castle is, good, trams and underground are brilliant

Boat trip down/ across the river well worth it too
    Flea market was great, but hidden at the back we were a bit shocked at the amount of ww2 nazi memorobelia on sale, this was a few years ago, so I wasn’t too surprised by their response to the refugee crisis, lynching & burning down gypsy camps etc

altgreen
    Free Member

Visit the “shoes on the Danube riverbank” memorial. It’s a little reminder of Hungarian political leanings.

hellraiser
    Free Member

Dont forget to read. What not to do in budapest. There are some scams towards tourists. Usually it is visiting strip bars and such.

MoreCashThanDash

I thought standards were slipping and then realised you were taking the missus.

andybrad

my stag doo there is still the stuff of legend several years on. On that note id say the old town pubs and strippers 🙂

bmblbzzz
    Free Member

Take the funicular up to the citadel on the Buda side, then walk down. Or the other way round, as you prefer!

Have a glass of hot chocolate at the confectionery place/cafe on the square near the very old metro station – I’ll try to remember names in a mo* – it’s not like any hot chocolate you’ve ever had in Britain! And the station is incredible, baroque.

Visit the old synagogue.

Have lunch at Uncle Kadar’s.

Walk over the Chain Bridge.

*I think it was Central Kavehaz and the station might have been Ferenciek tere on Line 1.

jairaj

If you like spa’s and dance music combine the two into a sparty 😀 !

Budapest Bath Parties

warton
    Free Member

my stag doo there is still the stuff of legend several years on

I am still stuff of legend from my mates stag do there 10 years back. the highlight being using a wallet to phone the Newcastle based Blueline taxi company to pick me up from Newcastle central station.

this was after I’d split my head open in a club…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What to do in budapest’ is closed to new replies.