Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What to do in British Columbia in Oct/Nov?
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

Heading out west for a conference and am taking a couple of weeks’ holiday afterwards. Was going to hire a trail bike and do some non lift-assisted riding but haven’t found much else to be doing other than hiking and perving on wild animals. I was hoping to head and do some climbing in the Bugaboos but it seems there are defined seasons with a bit of dead time in spring and autumn – anyone have any recommendations?

We were going to start out in Victoria and head to Whistler but after that I’ve little idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Went out there many years ago in November, did a little bit of riding weather was like a good UK autumn, even had a surf lesson over on Vancouver Island

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Grizzly bear tours around Kitimat/Prince Rupert

Haida Gwaii Islands

Rockies Road trip taking in Revelstoke / Golden / Lake Louise – Emerald Lake / Banff (?) / Fernie / Nelson etc lots of ranches / old hunting lodges to stay in along the way.

Of course there’s the usual stuff to do in Victoria/Vancouver/Whistler

Don’t rule out driving South of the Border – Seattle is a 2hr drive away and the Oregon Coast.

egb81
    Free Member

If you’re in Victoria, go for brunch at Floyd’s. http://www.floydsdiner.ca/

sweaman2
    Free Member

As you’re discovering November is a bit of a strange time for Canada. Locals call it shoulder season… I’ve been mountain biking in November on dry trails; I’ve also been at -15C and with plenty of snow on the ground. So the best thing is to be flexible. It’s already snowing in the bugaboos as I type..
    In general the coast / Vancouver Island will be warmer and wetter but with less snow than the interior.

So for non-snow:
    Low level trails in Squamish / North Shore should be rideable.
    You might be able to do some sea kayaking.
    Hike the beaches and surf on West coast of Vancouver Island.

For snow:
    DH Ski if there is enough coverage
    Cross country ski
    Hike and admire the countryside

If you head over to Canmore area / rockies there is often some early season ice climbing to be had. Tends to be a bit thin but coming from the UK you’d probably be used to that.. 😆

mafiafish
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice – didn’t realise there could be decent snowfall so early!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

When I went, these guys were brilliant and took us on a morning kayak tour, with fresh coffee and cakes too! http://www.wildcurrentoutfitters.ca/

sweaman2
    Free Member

It honestly varies hugely. Both these photos were take late October in different years and within a couple of hours drive of Calgary……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What to do in British Columbia in Oct/Nov?’ is closed to new replies.