Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • what to do if a dog takes offence…
  • Dickyboy

& if you haven’t already done so, take your helmet & shades off when you get off & walk with your bike

Scapegoat

Get off, look and speak to the dog. Youare not a human on a bike, you are a strange beast that may need defending against. On two feet and talking you revert to “dominant species” again, and the dog will become subservient/passive. If it doesn’t, then throw rocks/run away/rip it in half/photograph it for the Mail/scream “It could have been a child’s face/ kick it/ flip it over heroically and make sure your grandad tells tales about it for the next few generations of dog fearers.

andyl
    Free Member

Probably a collie. They also tend to chase cars passing the farm as they get a bit bored as they are so intelligent.

It’s a dog who’s instinct is to protect the livestock and the farm. Someone coming up at high speed wearing odd clothing on an odd contraption are going to make it think you are a threat.

Slow down, talk to it as you approach, be assertive and don’t approach it. If you kick it or squirt it you are just reinforcing it’s assumption that people like that are threats. If you ride away you are giving it the idea that what it is doing is correct and it can chase off the threat.

Same with livestock, sneaking up at high speed nearly silent on a bike looking like something from outer space is not the best idea.

Drac

So a working dog no one could go near, I call bullshit. Any dog that aggressive couldnt be worked and would rapidly recieve a bullet in its head. Maybe just, maybe your grandad wanted you to keep away from this dog and might have exagerated a tad?

Well thanks for you disbelief and no they wouldn’t shoot a dog just because wouldn’t work, this one did and very well but it was aggressive might be hard to get you blinkered views around of course. No he didn’t that’s for sure having seen the dog myself and how it behaved.

steezysix
    Free Member

In my experience, it’s the bike, not the rider that dogs have a problem with. If you go flying past, their natural impulse is to chase. I normally get off and stand still – if the dog stops going mental, just wheel the bike away and get back on further down the trail. If the dog still tries to go for you, use the bike as a shield to fend it off. Kicking, punching, throwing rocks, etc should be an absolute last resort.

zokes
    Free Member

SPD cleats 4, Alsations’ noses 0, in my experience. YMMV.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dangerous dogs, £5000 fine or 6 months in prison.
    Looking at some of the replies here you’d think dogs where more important than humans. If its a public place eg bridleway the dog should be under control!

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

steezysix
    Free Member

Looking at some of the replies here you’d think dogs where more important than humans.

Not really, I just think it’s weird that some people would take satisfaction in hurting animals. Pretty sure there’s fines for that, too.

stufive
    Free Member

reminds me of this link,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IuFoxpPNAM 😯

zokes
    Free Member

Not really, I just think it’s weird that some people would take satisfaction in hurting animals. Pretty sure there’s fines for that, too.

I take satisfaction in not being threatened by someone else’s animal, be it a pet or a working dog. If it takes violence to deal with that threat, then so be it, to a point.

mt
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    working farm dogs that the owners wont go near, yeah right!

You seen to be a bit of an expert on working dogs. Not all of them though it seems. Still I find it impressive to read the words the knowledgeable.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Be like Kev.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p8uP-dxllKQ[/video]

philconsequence
    Free Member

shouting ‘Get In’ at it

a lot of working dogs are trained with ‘get on’ as a command to hunt. poor choice of words to shout at it.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The opinion that violence towards dogs is ok isn’t nice.

Its in the dog’s nature to protect its area. Just get off your bike and tell the dog to ‘Lie down’ in a dominant voice. Sprinting off will just make the dog want to run after you.

I’ve never had any problems with dogs, but i do quite often get geese snapping at my ankle’s when i ride by the river. I’m not a fan of cows either, had a few chase me when i have been out walking the dog.

Get in 😆

stimpy
    Free Member

I’m with Zokes on this issue. Won’t wait to see if I get bitten or not. I’m no dog whisperer and I shouldn’t have to be. Not the dog’s fault it’s got a bad owner that hasn’t trained/controlled it, but not my fault either and I’d rather keep my legs without any dog-related punctures, thanks.

rocketman
    Free Member

Carefully cultivated unwashed riding gloves can stun a dog at close range

At the weekend an inquisitive little dog came over to say hello I put my hand out and it yelped and ran off

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Look, it’s perfectly simple

Farm dogs = mental

always have been always will be if you think they should process line astern holding their snouts aloft a la crufts obedience competition you should spend a bit more time in the countryside. THEY ARE NOT PETS.

They can be scary but won’t usually nip unless they think they can get away with it.

Let them know you’re coming (Gives you a chance to assess the length of the chain too!)and don’t be submissive. Normally a loud ‘Git arrd ovit yerbuggah’ will stop them along with a ‘I’m bigger than you’ stance and a good stare. A squirt with the water bottle’s a good one as back up.

martinhutch

Eyerideit – is that Brokeback Mountain for roadies? Even has cowboy hats.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

looked like this

I was shouting ‘get in’ because I’m sure someone told me that was what you were meant to shout?

Been up this route 100’s of times before and never seen the dog, there was a lot of horse based activity going on at the farm, with quite a few people knocking about, but it was just past this, nearer the farm house where it was just sat calmly, . . . until i rode past! My ride past was uphill, so wasn’t going very fast, well until it went a little mental…. if i was on 26″ wheels, i wouldn’t be here now . . . 😆

jam-bo

It’s simple, ride with someone you know you can out sprint…

brungle
    Free Member

The owners called after me, “If he ever does that again and we’re not here, just tell him to stop – his name’s Stuart”!

hahaha

some valid points above… but I think throwing stones at a dog is a bit excessive in most cases, ok fair enough if its got its jaws wrapped around your leg or its damaging you favourite lyrca tena pants. If its just barking a bit and chasing you come on don’t try kill the thing!

duntstick
    Free Member

Get in…

No

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzot7eRFhY[/video]

steezysix
    Free Member

if i was on 26″ wheels, i wouldn’t be here now . . .

The mystery is solved! The dog’s obviously a hater…

eyerideit
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    Eyerideit – is that Brokeback Mountain for roadies? Even has cowboy hats.

It’s American Flyers, there’s no man love just a good old fashioned bro-mance but don’t let that put you off. It’s just Kev at his best (so pretty rubbish). If you’re really really really bored, you might just enjoy it.

tonyd

Isn’t ‘get in’ the northern equivalent of ‘heel’?

Question for the stone throwers – could you stop, get off the bike, find a suitable stone, and throw it all before the dog that’s chasing you sunk it’s teeth into your leg? That’s fast work.

Every dog is different but I’ve never had any problem with the firm but fair approach. If it keeps coming at you throwing your arms wide and growling back might work, I’ve done that to a few that have chased me whilst out running. Bit harder on a bike mind.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘what to do if a dog takes offence…’ is closed to new replies.