Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • What to do if a bike shop has cut your fork steerer too short?!
  • Daffy

As I’ve already stated, I do ALL of my own maintenance and have built well in excess of 10 bikes over the past 2 years, but I don’t have anywhere to do something requiring a bench as I live in a city centre flat with my wife.

The next time I speak to the shop, I’ll ask them if they want to remain anonymous.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Workbench? That’s what the kitchen floor is for! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I really do sympathise, and not that you deserve to be taught a lesson, but hopefully the one lesson it will teach you is to do jobs yourself wherever possible.

The difference being that if Daffy had cut his own steerer too short, he’d be ****……

konabunny
    Free Member

“My LBS has got a 4 week waiting list for repairs, and what angers me is that most of that will be people who simply can’t be bothered to learn how to set up their gears correctly.”

If the shop’s that busy, they can hire more staff. I bet they aren’t complaining about a legion of “lazy” bike owners throwing 40 quid a shot at brakes/gears adjustment.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, top marks to the bike shop, I have to say. That is admirable, that they’ve admitted the mistake, and are willing to make right the situation.

Personally I reckon it’s ‘cos they din’t want me going down there to sort them out, but it’s worked out well in the end! Hats off to honest, decent bike shop bods!

Sandwich

Owning a bike does not necessarily mean that you want to repair and service it yourself. Some people regard them as transport/machine to get to and from places they are happy to pay for someone else to repair them. Be grateful for these people they keep the LBS in your town open and subsidise our habit. Thinking of which I must go and indulge again!

brakes
    Free Member

you should at least name the shop so that anyone buying a set of DT forks from them knows that they can get a discount for having 60mm less steerer 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

#
    brakes – Member

what does ‘absorb into stock’ mean?
    Posted 56 minutes ago # Report-Post
    #
    clubber – Member

take the hit (eg absorb) in extra stock for now until they can sell them (200mm steerer will be long enough for plenty of people)

The shop will more than likely try to use the forks as part of the next custom bike build they do.

timdrayton
    Free Member

bet thats a relief!

glad to hear it

rOcKeTdOg

phew!

cynic-al
    Free Member

The shop will more than likely try to use the forks as part of the next custom bike build they do.

Can’t see a problem with that.

twohats
    Free Member

Never said it was a problem!

Travis

hats off to the LBS. Thats the sort of place/service that makes you keep going back.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

…and what angers me is that most of that will be people who simply can’t be bothered to learn how to set up their gears correctly

Really, you get angry about that?

Wow

brakes
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey, do you watch Family Guy?

FuzzyWuzzy

heh

bigrich

anonymous? your not a regular customer, you rock up with forks you bought elsewhere, theres a bit of confusion with the instructions, and they STILL give you a replacement? I’d have thought they’d want customer service like that publicised!

you can also use it as an opportunity to get some decent forks!

hora
    Free Member

Hi Daffy, unless you wrote or they wrote it down or they entered it onto a computer/workshop notes (like Evans do) then you have to rely on the LBS worker being honest (or not having a ‘not sure/fuzzy’ memory). Beyond that, well its not looking good 🙁

All the best- hope its all sorted for you. bigrich agree in a way, however if a garage ballsed-up some repair work on your VW Golf it’d be fair to expect full reimbursement, after all they wont be cutting the steerer for free will they?

shortbaldone
    Free Member

hats off to the lbs, tell me who it is and i’ll get my new required shorts from them, just for the hell of it

clubber
    Free Member

100!

rs
    Free Member

hora, try reading the full post next time 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

come on what shop was it ?? i need a trust worthy (as long as i check twice they get the order right) lbs in leeds 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

all ended well ,good karma to you all.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well there was a possibility you were going to name & shame, so Karma says you must give credit where it’s due.
    They sound like a very good LBS to me, although I bet the shop conversation was all but favorable to STW & the like… 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me – gave the shop my Maguras to do, and even though i’d left the headset spacers with him, he forgot & just cut it to the headtube height – oops!
    The guy apologised & bought me a new steerer tube though, direct from Germany – luckily you can unbolt them! 🙂

Daffy

If anyone is interested in which shop it was, they can now mail me for the information – I’ve spoken with the people in charge and they’re happy to be known in this way, but not on an open forum, which I understand.

All the best,

Martin

Michael-B
    Free Member

Luckily there are lot of good bike shops in north Leeds. The shop in question seem to have done a good of fixing the problem (we are all human and make mistakes) if their name was posted I’d definitely shop them.

thumbie
    Free Member

Glad it’s sorted mate….

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘What to do if a bike shop has cut your fork steerer too short?!’ is closed to new replies.