Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • What to do – camper van parked long term opposite house…
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Whip his valve cores out, very annoying but does little damage.

colnagokid

pay some dodgy recovery bloke to remove it and leave it somewhere else. Probably cost you £25

ex-pat
    Free Member

+1 on light vandalism.
    Nothing too serious, but you have to make it more trouble than it's worth to keep it there.
    Start with tyre's down then follow with a dose of paint/thinners over one side of it.
    Anyway, perhaps that's not so light.

Isn't it bonfire night soon too?…

And if you want justification, I couldn't find a picture of one of those campers on fire on google. So perchance you'd be the first… ;o)

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My, what a tolerant bunch on here.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

….well, yes – it's gone from:

"Ooooh you NIMBY"

…to a bunch of, what I suspect are fellow NIMBYs*, empathising and giving spurious 'advice' on how to cause criminal damage.

Nice work! 😯

I don't suspect there's much you can do about it, save the most rational suggestions so far – i.e. having a polite word with the owner and if necessary getting his details from the DVLA.
    * This could, however, be simply a manifestation of the inane braindead STW group 'banter' that takes place around these parts though. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

It sounds like the owner is being a NIMBY too. I'd vote for having a polite word (possibly via windscreen note) and mention is peeing off a few of the residents.

shoefiti
    Free Member

I must admit i'd find it a bit annoying, nimby or not. Look at it his way, some git's got a massive campervan, only he's too tight to pay to keep it on one of those storage places for cars/caravans etc, so decides that it's fair enough it park it outside your house, making the street look untidy, making it harder for you to park, blocking out the light from your house – and he knows all this but really doesn't give a flying one 'cos it's not in his backyard, or in front of his house blocking out his light, in fact it's no hassle for him at all!

The guy that owns it is taking the piss, and doesn't give a sh1t about you or your neighbours qaulity of life. To be honest i'd be pissed off at his selfish attitude and let him know it.

sockpuppet

The guy that owns it is taking the piss, and doesn't give a sh1t about you or your neighbours qaulity of life. To be honest i'd be pissed off at his selfish attitude and let him know it.

so it's ok to vandalise it then?

no wonder community spirit is a thing of the past.

davidrussell
    Free Member

find an opening in the bodywork and stick a few frozen prawns in. the smell will drive him insane 🙂

antigee

offer to rent it for a couple of weekends to contribute to putting it into storage?

PS how about splitting the forum again with another tab for the mock vigilantes and petty vandals?

davidrussell
    Free Member

we could have a tab for nimby's, but nobody would be allowed to put anything in there…

ken_shields
    Free Member

Glad to see criminal damage is ok on STW.

How would all those on here suggesting vandalism would be ok if someone did it to their car?

If it's got road tax then you can't do anything about it as it's legally parked

Leave a note for the owner as a starter and see where that gets you.

If that doesn't work then persue it through the council. Put a matchbox on top of one of wheels to see if it moves and then report it as abandoned. The council will then sort it out as they'll contact the owner

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

I think Jamie Oliver's in America at the minute, the dribbling mockney **** should be round with his bell-end mates to collect soon enough. 'pukka'

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Put a matchbox on top of one of wheels

Random…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It is the standard test for an abandoned vehicle, don't cha know.. 😉

sq225917
    Free Member

note on the windscreen detailing how you are having to hold back the hordes….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would ask people like Ken Sheilds for their address and suggest the owner of the camper legally park there as the owner of the property will honour their right to legally park where they want. 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Leave a note, saying that you saw someone fiddling with the door/wheels/windows on it, and that you have had your car broken into recently, and you suspect the area has been targeted by thieves.

Works a treat. i do it all the time outside my house, and i've never seen the cars come back.

Most annoying one i had was a jeep thing that beeped every minute. Parked up for 3 days without moving. every minute ….beep….beep…beep.

coffeeking
    Free Member

SA – that wasn't just any old car beeping away every minute….

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Let's all hope Jamie Oliver and his 'bell-end' mates weren't inside*

*False

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

+1 to the attempted break in, scare owner into thinking the van isn't safe!

We live in a small court yard and the lane we use to access the court has recently become over parked with people parking on the corner and right on the junction onto the main road.

We got the council to paint lines to stop people parking as it was causing a hazzard and was dangerous but they still parked there and the council didn't want to know.

It got to the point where a note was superglued to a windscreen telling them not to park there and then someone did a flyer door drop telling everyone the police were now involved as the car had been vandilised (glue on windscreen) and anyone caught would be charged!

Go careful with the vandilising as you could end up worse off

user-removed
    Free Member

I genuinely hate to say it…. But…… I've been following this thread and feel all [americanism] conflicted [/ americanism] about it.

My Dad is a serial offender in this way. He has a camper van, a beaten up old Iveco Daily van and a penchant for European / Eastern block 4X4 vehicles.

He parks them all over Edinburgh and often leaves them for months at a time – all taxed, insured and motted. He's been visited by the cops countless times to inform him of multiple complaints from neighbours, but they leave once they've been assured everythings legal and that the vehicles aren't abandoned – nothing they can do.

My Dad is a truly lovely bloke and helps out anyone who asks. He just can't see why people get annoyed by having a rusty hilk parked in their leafy suburban street. He laughs off the complaints saying things like, "Oh – they should be grateful – it's not every day you get to see an UMM (odd, massive Portuguese jeep thing)!"

The only way of getting him to shift a vehicle is to damage it. He fizzes and spits, takes it very personally and is genuinely hurt / bamboozled. Like I say, he just doesn't get it.

It really does pain me to say it, but if your camper van owner is the same as my Dad, it'll stay there until something bad happens to it. Then it'll be gone by the next day….

coffeeking
    Free Member

Still not justifiable to damage someones property because you dont like the way it looks.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Put the details into http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

If it's not insured then ring the council and tell them it's been abaondoned. That should get it shifted.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do I doubt.

HTH

Neil.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Its not justifiable to dump your pile of junk outside someone else's house just because you don't want it outside yours 😉

renton
    Free Member

i agree with steve austin here!!

ive posted on here before about people that do not live in my close taking up all the parking spaces because they dont want their shit box tranny van parked in their own close or they have too many cars parked on their drives aswell!!!!

grips me like no ones business this!!

find out who owns the thing , buy a bigger van and park it outside his house!!!! thats what im going to do

DT78
    Free Member

I shall put a polite note on his windscreen this evening, apparently he comes back on the occassional weekday lunch time so unlikely I will see him face to face.

Might also contact the council to complain about obstruction, even if it's completely legal – if no one mentions it there is definitely no chance of it getting sorted. Maybe if enough residents have a moan they might do something about it?

Oh if any of the 'get over it stop moaning NIMBY' brigade fancy offering up their house frontage for the monstrousity please email me your address and I'll let the chap know (presume he would prefer southampton area but you never know)

Karinofnine

People do get very exercised about caravans and campervans don't they – I wonder why that is?

I agree with the suggestion of a note on the windscreen. If it's bothering you that much why not leave your mobile number and say you'd like a word?

Do you ever leave your bike chained up to railings? Non cyclists get annoyed about that…

avdave2

I've a couple of addresses in the Brighton area I can give you.

DT78
    Free Member

Bike chained to a railing, whilst I can see how it could be annoying (especially if left there to rust for months) is not quite in the same scale as a camper van the size of a small lorry.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it's easy to accuse someone of being a whining NIMBY until you're actually faced with the situation they are in. It's taking the piss for someone to park it there rather than put up with the inconvenience/obstruction themselves. Does it justify vandalism? No but if a polite note doesn't work I know I'd be letting the tyres down. Not sure I'd go any further than that but I might change my mind if it was still there a few months later after a few tyre deflation sessions.

BigJohn

Print out this thread and slip it under his wiper.

If he reads it he'll realise that he's woken up a lot of latent vitriol and will probably get a nice warm glow. And leave his van there.

GrahamS

Some NIMBY in a street near where I stay in Edinburgh got fed up with people (including me) parking on "his road" so he started putting notes on cars which said something along the lines of:

"I watched you park here. I know where you live and if you do it again I shall call the police."

Mental! 🙄

DT78
    Free Member

Right your not going to believe this. Just got home from work. There is a second, slightly larger motor home parked next to the original one I started moaning about.

WTF??????? Is some one renting out the front of my house as a caravan park or something.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Turns out he's an STW member and is now finding it funny to cheese you off with perfectly legal parking. Suck it up 🙂

GrahamS

They'll be selling you lucky heather and offering to lay new tarmac on your driveway before long 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Well it would seem the latest one in not on the motor insurance database so means it is most likely uninsured. That gives me reason to contact the council.

My god I need to earn more so I can get a better house.

Harry_the_Spider

That has got to be worth a picture!

DT78
    Free Member

No joke – I just tried to take a photo. They are so big I can't get both of them in the same picture….

Harry_the_Spider

A montage perhaps?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What to do – camper van parked long term opposite house…’ is closed to new replies.