Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do… Ants are eating my drive!
  • i_like_food

For some reason we live in ant heaven. I’m not so bothered when they turn the lawn into a re-creation of the Somme on a wet day, but they seem to be tunnelling to Australia underneath the block paved drive.

So far it’s just the edges that are totally without sand or whatever they fill the gaps with, but lots of the bricks in the middle now make knocking noises when I ride over them.

I realise that taking on a million+ ants is unlikely to end in a victory for me, so what about jet washing and re-sanding to at least slow the buggers down a bit? Or would that just make it worse, giving them more sand to play with?

Is it a case of living with it…..? Although that seems like it could turn out to be expensive in the long run.

Any tips from experienced ant fighters, or anyone in general, appreciated.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You need this guy

i_like_food

I don’t have one of those ernie, can I borrow yours? 🙂

properbikeco
    Free Member

purchase some borax and make a weak mixture of it and castor sugar.

Add a little water and put it down for them

the boron in the borax will make their exoskeleton weak and they then die

don’t make the borax in the mix too strong or they can’t carry it back to the nest

zokes
    Free Member

Just be glad they’re not ants like this guy who came to visit me in my office…

samuri
    Free Member

Boiling water down the holes worked for me. I had to do it a couple of times. The first few times they all came running out carrying these big winged ants.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Ant powder, bait traps and bombers worked for our infestation.

Napalm
    Free Member

Sage, fresh or dried; they don’t like it up ’em.

i_like_food

Happy days, I was all for live and let live but try and limit the damage…. But now I’m going to take it to them! It’ll be like Apocalypse Now 🙂

You reckon a flame-thrower-weed-killer thing would help? Or are they too deep?

poly
    Free Member

Flame thrower will probably only kill the ones you can see, unless you can find the nest – maybe boiing water and flame them on the way out?

Chemical warfare is the answer. I’d brush ant powder into the cracks. It will probably wash away over time if they are gone replace with sand.

stevieeeh
    Free Member

Cement:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozkBd2p2piU[/video]

project
    Free Member

Talcum powder usually get them to move away

But they really are nice incects, hard working and freindly, do you really want to kill them.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

That video is amazing !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to do… Ants are eating my drive!’ is closed to new replies.