Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What to do about a gardener who destroys part of your garden?
  • mick
    Free Member

Got a gardener who is a friend of next door neighbours to come and do some weeding

When we got home he had done this, which looks tidy

and this

The rubbish was hidden behind an ornamental hedge 😆 which he has removed

The “scorched earth” bit in the second photo was similar to the rest before he got to work. He cut down a large hollybush and a tree behind the shed and lopped several branches of the tree still there. We had specifically told him we only wanted him to weed and tidy!

He’s clearly chopped it to the ground so that our neighbours greenhouse gets more light :naughty:

When challenged he said “It’ll grow back” and then walked off. Neighbours seem to have gone away for the weekend.

Obviously not paid him, any suggestions (legal) for dealing with him?

Drac

Yeah, stop over reacting what are you hoping to achieve by taking legal action?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Beat him to death with a garden ornament and hide the corpse in your caravan?

jam-bo

He’s right. It’ll grow back.

Should clear all that crap up before it does…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Did you tell him you’d see him in court?

You are seriously over reacting.

glupton1976
    Free Member

You have a caravan therefore deserve everything you get. 😀

mick
    Free Member

Yeah, stop over reacting what are you hoping to achieve by taking legal action?

So you would be happy for someone to chop down a 6 foot high hollybush, a tree and remove an ornamental hedge without permission?

Let me know where you live I’ll send him around to do some gardening!

You have a caravan therefore deserve everything you get.

Maybe you’re right

King-ocelot
    Free Member

What’s an ornamental hedge and his does it differ from any other hedge?

ska-49
    Free Member

Move the caravan forward 4ft ?

wwaswas

Build a fence.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

What’s an ornamental hedge and his does it differ from any other hedge?

they are made of porcelain

Drac

So you would be happy for someone to chop down a 6 foot high hollybush, a tree and remove an ornamental hedge without permission?

I’d not be happy but I’d not be ‘trying to sue their ass’ really is an over reaction.

Let me know where you live I’ll send him around to do some gardening!

Northumberland, if he cleans up that well for the price of weeding that’ll be great as my back garden is a serious mess.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why weren’t you there supervising – since it was apparently so important to you ?

which he has removed

So not actually a problem then ? Just something to whinge/pick on/create a fuss over.

Just pay the poor fecker. Do you really want to fall out with your neighbour over his friend ?

Mantastic
    Free Member

You didn’t delegate properly, in future do it yourself

rudebwoy
    Free Member

seriously op, you are havin a laugh if you expect sympathy, on the scale of problems, this one is for watchdog!

ojom
    Free Member

Can i get his number? He can come up here and clear all the bushes he likes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pay him.

And next time you need to be clearer about what you want doing.

Your fault.

jock-muttley

As a commercial business the Gardener would be charged for disposing of the rubbish. So he has stacked it neatly for you to take to your local tip for free instead….

adjustablewench
    Free Member

if I asked someone to weed and tidy I’d be seriously miffed if they started removing plants – I suspect people dont realise the value of mature plants – not sure how much for a 6ft one but you ciuld have this one…..

brakes
    Free Member

Smash your neighbour’s greenhouse windows, he’s clearly the organ grinder.
    Justice is served.

Drac

Oh he can he have this holly hedging, sorry can’t see ornate ones.

http://www.shrubsdirect.com/Ilex-Aquifolium-2-Litre-Pot-30cm?filter_name=holly

leffeboy

Get him back to plant some leylandii. That should sort it

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Was he suggested by your neighbour? If you believe what he did was at the instructions/benefit of your neighbour, rather than your instructions, I’d be having words with the neighbour. Altho, I dare say they’ll deny everything.

EDIT : ^or just smash his greenhouse windows. 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

As above, cutting down a mature shrub is a totally different activity to weeding, the clue would come when you need a saw instead of a trowl.

But it would be in no way worth the bother to sue. If you pay him is up to you. Seems plausable the neighnpoutr wanted A – light, B not to look at a heap of rubbish that you don’t have to look at.

replace it was something more vulgar that also blocks the light if you want vengeance. A billboard of Justin Bieber’s face?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

hardly 6′ but yes a 6′ would be closer to that than a full tree – but the point is he shouldnt be removing plants.

why not plant some fast growing conifers behind shed ….

mick
    Free Member

Pay him.

And next time you need to be clearer about what you want doing.

Your fault.

He’s a professional gardener, it’s what he does foe a living. We made it absolutely clear what we wanted him to do. We specifically told him we didn’t want bushes or trees lopping or removing.

why not plant some fast growing conifers behind shed

yep that’s the plan, but really we want him to come back and reinstate things! Not as easy as if somebody cocks things up repairing a bike or car!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

ok here is one – ornamental and about the right size – just ask him to put one of these in and you’ll call it quits ..

Muke
    Free Member

This 😀

You have a caravan therefore deserve everything you get.

This

If you believe what he did was at the instructions/benefit of your neighbour, rather than your instructions, I’d be having words with the neighbour.

And next time DIY

user-removed
    Free Member

It does rather sound like the neighbour’s agenda. When the gardener comes looking for payment, why not askhim why he’s chopped down a tree, after specific instructions not to?

Drac

hardly 6′ but yes a 6′ would be closer to that than a full tree – but the point is he shouldnt be removing plants.

Trees grow don’t they? Yes I see the point of he what he shouldn’t have done. I don’t see why he should take legal action, he’s not paid him as he didn’t do what was asked that seems fair enough.

Markie
    Free Member

Buy some bareroot native hedging, plant it (still a week or two to do so) and relax, secure in the knowledge that in two years time they will ave grown to the point whereby they both block your neighbours light and provide a wonderful habitat for birds. Sorted.

I’d be annoyed too, FWIW.

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d pay hiim, but not before I made my complaint.

And then not use him again.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I can’t actually see where he is saying he’d ‘try to sue their ass’ (in Drac’s words) or in fact any ref to taking court action of any sort.

Only thing I see is him asking for suggestions, but only legal ones. ie not “smash his windows/kill his wife”, but hey-ho. You just jump straight in there Drac, feet first, god forbid if anyone ever made you a forum modera……..oh!.

Drac

It’s a term of phrase a play on his legal action. Like I said at the start why the legal action there is other ways to resolve issues before that.

teasel
    Free Member

Smash your neighbour’s greenhouse windows, he’s clearly the organ grinder.
    Justice is served.

🙂

Like your style…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Do his windows with a football, then say, “awww, there used to be this big hedge there that stopped that from happening…”

marty
    Free Member

I read the legal bit in the OP in a not painting a giant cock on the gardener’s lawn in weedkiller way, rather than calling in the lawyers way…

mick
    Free Member

I can’t actually see where he is saying he’d ‘try to sue their ass’ (in Drac’s words) or in fact any ref to taking court action of any sort.

Only thing I see is him asking for suggestions, but only legal ones. ie not “smash his windows/kill his wife”, but hey-ho. You just jump straight in there Drac, feet first, god forbid if anyone ever made you a forum modera……..oh!.

Yes exactly I didn’t say I was going to sue just didn’t want suggestions saying “go and thump him”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

cutting down a mature shrub is a totally different activity to weeding, the clue would come when you need a saw instead of a trowl.

And clearing a garden of bricks, old exhaust pipes, heavy duty bags, and a whole assortment of general rubbish, is also “a totally different activity to weeding”. And yet the gardener appears to have been expected to do that.

I suspect that he was told to generally tidy up the garden, and in the absence of anyone being there to make executive decisions the gardener relied on his own initiative.

The only reason I can imagine why someone would be happy to leave a new gardener, they don’t know, on their first day, unsupervised, is that they weren’t too fussed by the outcome.

Otherwise being there to ensure that the work was carried out in a way which satisfied them would be the supremely logical course of action.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes exactly I didn’t say I was going to sue just didn’t want suggestions saying “go and thump him”

Strange. You spent well over an hour responding without mentioning that.

Seems like that’s the first thing you should have mentioned when people “misunderstood” your OP.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What to do about a gardener who destroys part of your garden?’ is closed to new replies.