• This topic has 72 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What to cut out for losing weight?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

After weighing myself this morning and seeing I have put on half a stone without much effort, what should I be cutting out?

I’m off bread, usually replacing with rice cakes and having porridge instead of toast. I could use cutting out beer, although 4 a week is usually about my limit these days.

I do have a real problem with peanut butter though, love the stuff.

Any ideas?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Beer and peanut butter.

mikey74
    Free Member

Reduce portion size?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Beer. Sorry. 5:2 diet also works well for many (inc me).

Gary_M
    Free Member

peanut butter would seem a good place to start!

having porridge instead of toast

Having you compared the calories between the two?

When you say cutting out bread for rice cakes, what do you mean, do you snack on rice cakes?

iainc

just shorten your user name and drop the back half ? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Low GI is a good starting point and fairly straightforward.

GrahamS

Decrease calories. Increase exercise.

Many will tell you that this is a gross oversimplification and that one calorie is not the same as another.

That is no doubt true. However it is a simplified model that works for the vast majority of people.

Use MyFitnessPal (it’s free) to (honestly) track everything you eat or drink and you’ll soon realise where the extras come from.

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’ve lost 11kg since January using MFP app.
    Not really changed what I eat, just cut down on quantity and increased exercise to ensure I meet the calorie target each day.
    It has made me think about what I eat though and made me stop, when I reach for snacks that I really don’t need.
    First few weeks were hard as I only had a 1300cal per day target.

leffeboy

alcohol 🙁
    & MFP of course

eightyeight
    Free Member

Calories

There are 4 calories per gram of protein and carb and 9 calories per gram of fat. I’m not saying one food group is better than the other, they’re just the facts.

Use MyFitnessPal. Work out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and cut 200 cals. Try that for a month, if you don’t see any results then cut another 100. As an indicator as a 6ft, 12.5 st, 31 year old male in a sedentary job my TDEE is 2200.

You really can’t out-exercise a bad diet (you’ve only got to spend an age grinding away on a treadmill before seeing all your work reversed with a single kitkat to know that) so concentrate on the diet.

GrahamS

Use MyFitnessPal. Work out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and cut 200 cals.

It even does that for you if you fill in your details and set your goal (i.e. how quickly you want to lose weight).

deadkenny
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Reduce portion size?

^^^ This

And it’s what I struggle with. The more riding I do the more hungry I get post ride and the bigger the meals I make. As I like to make stuff myself from basic ingredients I make more than I need. I might think I’ll save half for another day but then I just scoff the lot. Add beer & wine to that and that encourages face stuffing even further, until the booze has run out. 😀

The killer is if I slack off the exercise a bit. I still continue eating the way I’m used to.

nickc

Cut out the beer, and reduce your portion size is great advice

bungle

Change user name?

docgeoffyjones

Join a group? I do slimming world I started last June I am now 5 stone 9lbs lighter.

What ever method you use don’t overlook the importance of having some accountability and support to help you stay motivated and on track.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Kisses contain calories so put your OH and butler down

avdave2

Try a few weeks on a vegan diet and keep eating the peanut butter. Mind you I seem rarely to eat peanut butter now I have a Tahini addiction.

GrahamS

Try a few weeks on a vegan diet

He wants to lose weight, not the will to live 😉

docgeoffyjones

Decrease calories. Increase exercise.

Many will tell you that this is a gross oversimplification and that one calorie is not the same as another.

That is no doubt true. However it is a simplified model that works for the vast majority of people.

Getting the number of calories in and out right is the real problem:

[list]http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/01/what-does-a-calorie-measure/427089/[/list]

jimjam
    Free Member

Sugar.

wilburt
    Free Member

Booze
    Milk, Dairy etc
    Red Meat
    Portion contol
    No sweets and shit..goes without saying.

binners

PJM1974
    Free Member

Booze, sadly.

I’m on day nine of a very low carbohydrate diet, which seems to be working out extremely well so far.

I’ve cut out bread, pasta, rice, anything containing refined sugars etc. For the first few days I felt as though I were half-asleep all the time, but apparently that’s normal.

MSP

If you are going to eat peanut butter make sure it is the sugar free natural stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Use smaller plates.

Apart from molgrips who says he is too smart for that to work. this has been proven to help with the psychological aspect. A half empty large plate doesnt make you feel as satisfied as a stacked smaller plate.

Plus the average plate size has grown over the years almost in line with peoples waists

Everything in moderation above all reduce portion size and eat little and often.

And move some.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He wants to lose weight, not the will to live

If I had the energy I would get cross

MoreCashThanDash

I’m guessing I shouldn’t have finished the half a tub of Caramel and Vanilla ice cream. I suspect even having ridden home from work the long way won’t make up for that.

PJ266
    Free Member

Meat, dairy, refined sugars.

Easy as that 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Why meat and dairy specifically? Surely they, in themselves, are not fattening, unless you eat too much of them, which is the case for any food group.

yossarian
    Free Member

No:

Sweets
    Processed food including takeaways

Less:

Booze
    Bread
    Pasta/Rice
    Potatoes

More:

Riding
    Sleeping
    Water
    Green vegetables
    Fish

MFP to track what you eat. I reckon a change in attitude to food not just a change in what you eat works best long term. Smaller plates and rewards that don’t involve food or drink.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Gawd – some of the ‘give ups’ are harsh! Exercise more? Running, walking? Make your own lunch rather than buying sandwiches? Absolutely no ready meals or take aways. I’ve started having salad with cous cous for lunch rather than a sandwich (maybe I’ll be riding a road bike more soon)…. I love chocolate though!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Binners is ‘The Dark Side’ of weight loss 😯

kayla1
    Free Member

Cut out sugar and processed food (this one’s easy)

Cut down beer (not so easy) 🙁

Eat less crappy meat- more veg and good quality meat. You don’t need meat and two veg for every meal! Bean chillis and veg curries are great.

edit- make your own peanut butter. Ok, it’s very STW and a bit hipsterish, but it’s easy to crush some peanuts up to make your own. Plus, you get to to control what goes in it- no palm oil, sugar or salt (unless you make savoury dry roasted peanut butter which is blinking flipping awesome)

avdave2

He wants to lose weight, not the will to live

If I had the energy I would get cross

I’ve had to have a lie down after reading all those posts

chewkw
    Free Member

What to cut out for losing weight?

Eat less of everything.

Eat less fatty food.

Eat to 75% full.

Done.

binners

use smaller plates

Or use a bigger one to fool yourself into thinking you’re eating less. Psychology innit?

And if you drink diet Irn Bru while you’re earing, it dissolves calories. FACT!

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Wot yossarian said. ^^^^^

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Wot yossarian said. ^^^^^

That, in essence.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

*paging Molgrips*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What to cut out for losing weight?’ is closed to new replies.