Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to carry for a 24 hour race?
  • Surfr
    Free Member

For all the classic 24 hour events, where you are lapping about 10 mile courses on parkland or somesuch, aside from the bike what do you carry?

Minimal kit like a bottle+cage and puncture repair kit or camelbak, spare tube, multi tool?

mrsflash
    Free Member

camelbak, tube, tool, pump, bar.

njee20
    Free Member

Bottle, gel, CO2 pump, small multi tool, power link.

The same as for any race.

cp

as above, it's really annoying when you snap a chain and bend the plates mid lap, so a chain tool is a must! i've also broken a seat post seat-clamp bolt on the first lap of a 12 hour race. amazingly, one of the guys behind me stopped and pulled out a suitable replacement! 10 miles is a long way to walk if anything goes wrong!

clubber
    Free Member

Camelbak only if it's really muddy so I don't want to eat mud with every mouthful from a bottle.

Normally – bottle, multitool inc power link, 2 tubes, pump, energy gel (especially important on 24hrs where you can quite suddenly feel awful at times and the gel can really pick you up quickly)

nickc

As njee20, same as any race.

Dougal
    Free Member

If it's for SITS, you best carry the bike, since riding is likely to be near impossible if it's wet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

quality dougal !

My kits same as njee20 – with the addition of a small mountain of gels and food if solo- never know when you`ll need to eat !

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you were not at SITS in 2008, you MUST have a spare rear mech, and by definition a rear mech hanger as they will be broken on laps 1-3. Consider taking both bikes.

It was such a running joke last year that the organisers gave out free T-shirts to all who snapped their rear mech's. I have one!

Take a (new) bog brush too. At the back of the solo ride area, there's a pond next to where the Red Bull tent was in 2008. Get yourself in there with said brush and get the bike de-muddied.

Surfr
    Free Member

Polluting a pond with chain grease and all manner of other lubes has to be frowned upon sorry 🙁 There's free bike washing facilities supplied for by Muc-Off so there is no excuse for it.

jimster
    Free Member

As Surfr said, and if you can't be arsed to queue, get two or three old 25ltr jerry cans and fill them up with water when you get there and use this, and a bucket to clean your bike NOT the pond!!

crazy-legs

Same as for any race – the bare minimum to get you round a lap. Multitool, chain tool, tube, tyre levers, gas can in an under-saddle pack. Drink in a water bottle. Emergency gel/bar in jersey pocket.
    At night I use a dinky Camelbak which the battery for my helmet mounted light sits in.

That's it.

I've yet to work out exactly what those riders with huge Camelbaks carry in them?!

Polluting a pond with chain grease and all manner of other lubes has to be frowned upon sorry There's free bike washing facilities supplied for by Muc-Off so there is no excuse for it.

Fair point but the queue for the jetwash last year was over an hour long. Those riders wiothout second bikes aren't going to waste time stood there when they could be out riding (pushing/carrying…), they're going to wash the worst of it off in the pond. It's not like there was any lube left on the chain after 5 mins riding anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

I've got a Hozelock garden sprayer thing, which puts out a similar spray to a Dirt Worker, but requires no power and makes no noise, seems a good investment!

As per Trail_rat, soloing definitely requires a substantial stock of varying foods!

Take a Islabike 12" thing with no pedals and some fell running shoes, that'll be the fastest!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

jimster – Member

As Surfr said, and if you can't be arsed to queue, get two or three old 25ltr jerry cans and fill them up with water when you get there and use this, and a bucket to clean your bike NOT the pond!!

hey mr sanctimonious – where do you think the run off will go when you was the bike on wet land – into the pond!!

psling
    Free Member

So where do you suppose the drain-off from the bike wash or from using 25ltr jerry cans goes?!?

Saddle pack with tube, multi-tool, & mini-pump plus energy bar in jersey pocket for me. See it more as a 24 hour event than a race though 😉

psling
    Free Member

SNAP ❗

peachos
    Free Member

i will not be queuing for an hour to clean my bike at 4 in the morning this year. the pond for me.

Surfr
    Free Member

the drain off goes into the big tin baths yoy rest the bike on doesn't it? I thought they were drained too.

jimster
    Free Member

ROFL Harris – Member

jimster – Member

hey mr sanctimonious – where do you think the run off will go when you was the bike on wet land – into the pond!!

Think you'll find the run off from using a bucket and brush or a garden sprayer would be absorbed into the soil, where it would be alot less harmful than immersing a bike into a pond.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

absorbed in to saturated soil that is a new concept.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_runoff

Ti29er
    Free Member

In all this debate don't lose sight of my most pertinent points – you NEED:
    1x spare rear mech'
    1x spare rear mech' hanger.

The only progress being made last year in the dark hours was on bikes shod with 1.5 mud tyres.

Again, I can recommend a 2nd bike, should one pack up or you want one for the mud duties, then it's a great deal easier if you have options.

Best o'luck and we'll see you out on the circuit. What's your number?

terrahawk
    Free Member

tube, bottles, spare undies, hairbrush, lippy.

AndyP
    Free Member

depends if you're planning on stopping or not

In all this debate don't lose sight of my most pertinent points – you NEED:
    1x spare rear mech'
    1x spare rear mech' hanger.

even for a singlespeed? 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

For SingleSpeeders, a spare screw, since one's clearly loose! 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What to carry for a 24 hour race?’ is closed to new replies.