Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What to buy from lbs
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Since when did RRP become ‘inflated prices’?

Since you can buy almost anything you desire online with a 25-50% discount?

franki
    Free Member

I’d be happy to pay a bit more than the online prices when purchasing from one of the local shops, but 9 times out of 10 they haven’t got the item in stock and I’ve had bad experiences being let down when they’ve tried to order things for me. I’m afraid that I don’t bother any more apart from things like wheels or bikes that are better bought face to face and might need back-up care.
    I use them for more involved repairs / servicing etc, as it’s generally as cheap as buying tools that you’ll only use once every 18 months or so.
    To be fair, it’s not just bike shops. Most stores don’t have a great depth of stock these days and I often come away empty handed. It’s not so much the price for me, more the lack of range / sizes, you name it. I won’t order from a shop when I can get it faster and cheaper on-line, but I would pay more to walk out with what I was after if they had it in the first place.

gotdurt
    Free Member

The days of the small LBS as we’ve know it are over. Internet competition aside, there is just no way for shops to keep a reasonable stock selection with all of the variations of the current “standards”; the old days of carrying, for instance, a selection of 2.1-2.4 26″ mtb tires, or other parts that will serve all mountain bikes just doesn’t work anymore. I’ve stopped trying and just order online unless I need something ASAP, then I accept that it is going to be a compromise.

oink1
    Free Member

jonnyboy666 – Member

\\Well put my friend 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and right on cue a CRC email offering discounts on 2017 bike
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/r-pm/2017bikes?sort=discount
    not much but is anyone else knocking cash of next years stock already?

mahalo

i like to think i can do my own servicing, ceratinly change a cable and index my gears etc, but i put my bike in the lbs for some new bearings recently, when i picked it it up he said my shifting was a bit off so he’d replaced the cable… holy shit i dunno what they do so differently but changing gear on the next ride was an absolute dream!! #longlivethelbs!!!

andybrad

jonnyboy666 – Member

sounds about right that.

Just trying my hardest to support an LBS (for my own benefit) and struggling.

timbles
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR-oCjqGv5I[/video]
    This is why.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

. holy shit i dunno what they do so differently but changing gear on the next ride was an absolute dream!!

About 4 years ago I thought I was a fairly good mechanic. So when I got the chance I put my money where my mouth was and got a job as an LBS mechanic.
    I now know that back then I had very little idea at all. We get all the crap jobs. All the stuff people can’t do themselves and we’re where the buck stops I guess. I bloody love it. I just love it when something new lands on my bench, something that takes time and effort to sort…… but the by-product of this is doing the same thing over and over again. I sometimes amaze myself at how quickly I can diagnose and fix a virtually non functioning set of gears. And that’s just experience. Do your own bikes once a year and you get to know one bike. Do 5 a day and it becomes second nature. It’s great. I love it! 🙂

jonnyboi

jonnyboy666 – great post

i think long term bike shops will be like some car garages, you pay a higher labour rate but the prices for parts are almost no mark up.

I’ve seen a move to mobile services now, often run by guys that used to work for ‘traditional’ bike shops that went under. Providing a value orientated local service.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I must be fortunate to have 3 fairly good LBS between 10 and 30 mins from my door, Hayle Cycles, Bike Chain Ricci & Clive Mitchell Cycles.

I have sometimes been disappointed while passing or popping in but they generally sort something out.

BCR sorted my Alfine build and sorted out any further issues quickly and FOC, and I got stonking discount on the Cannondale BoE1, they also tend to have some great clothing sales, loads at the moment is being given away for donation to charity, only time I’ve been disappointed is when I popped in for an emergency Shimano bleed kit.

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What to buy from lbs’ is closed to new replies.