Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What tjres for… the beach? (gratuitous bike pic)
  • flamejob
    Free Member

Just came back from my morning pootle. I have decided I have found the perfect beach tyres:

Biggerized

Hugerized

The tyres arrived yesterday and I slaped them on flameboy asap. I have supertackies on some of my other bikes and these feel incredible on hardpack. I forgot what efficient tyres feel like. 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Very nice is that a merlin newsboy?

flamejob
    Free Member

It's a half-breed Merlin Newsboy/Cove Stiffie I had made in China

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I cant really see the stiffie in it but it looks nice, is that a Rohloff at the back?

MrNutt
    Free Member

/wonders what SFB makes of a rohloff so close to salt water!?:D

flamejob
    Free Member

Stiffie.. that's where I stole the main geometry from

I actually just wanted a photo of it on plain sand, but I guess the tide was coming in 'cause I got wet feet!
    I'm sure the Rohloff is fine now 🙂

Lives on top of the wardrobe now

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That is a truly beautiful bike, and exactly the idea I've been thinking of for a while now.
    I dread to think how much it cost…
    Who made the frame? And would you be offended or flattered if I asked them to make another one?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

cool beach – where is it??

flamejob
    Free Member

The frame has been made for other people and they actually list it on their site. Go for it! Mine cost about £650 landed at the time.

[edit] check out the Jeff Jones frame too… all Copyright as you can see at the bottom of the page 😀

I live in Malaga and the beach is 5mins by bike, there is an awesome road route with a 1000m climb 10mins away and lift accessible Freeride/AM 20mins by car 🙂

mos

Would the climb be Montes de Malaga?

Sam

It's a half-breed…

I think the term you are looking for is hybrid.

I live in Malaga and the beach is 5mins by bike, there is an awesome road route with a 1000m climb 10mins away and lift accessible Freeride/AM 20mins by car

No decent xc then? 😉 Looks like this year is unlikely. Spring seems promising 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

@mos – yeah; there is an awesome loop back to the beach via a 12km downhill

@Sam – I'm sticking with Half-Breed! There is XC around, but I haven't explored it yet. The local XC group all have mega light bikes and climb thousands of meters in a ride. I'm not sure I could cope!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Just out of interest…how do you get it down from the top of the wardrobe???

flamejob
    Free Member

Wardrobe front folds down with an intricate system of springs, levers and dampers; remote controlled, of course.
    Other times I use a ladder.

slowrider
    Free Member

isnt that the chinese titanium factory featured in a thread recently? sounds like you are one of the lucky ones to be happy with your bike!

flamejob
    Free Member

It wasn't perfect, but for that kinda money I am happy.

Which thread BTW?

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmmm, lives up on top of the wardrobe eh? sounds like someone's watched brakeless pt.1 a few too many times 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How easy was it to customise the geometry?
    And how about the Rohloff dropout and EBB? Any issues? I assume they can put pannier rack mounts on too.

flamejob
    Free Member

I drew it from scratch in AutoCAD and they just made it for me. I do have a bit of a backround in this kinda stuff so it was easy for me, but they did tweak it like this second pass drawing

I would have done the Rohloff installation differently, as I you don't really need the dogbone, an extension of the dropout plate would have been neater.

They can do anything you want (I have no idea how they bent those tubes for instance; titanium=mega springy!), but I'm not sure about sticking a rack on it, unless you made a curvy one. I chose all the components to be as smooth as possible without being too modern, right down to the rims.

white101

Flamejob, I'm out there tomorrow, whats the weather like?

coastkid
    Free Member

nice bike, though once youve rolled on sand on surly endomorph tyres nothing else comes close for

o

🙂

CountZero

That is a lovely bike. The last time I tried riding my singlespeed on a beach the windblown sand trashed a brand-new chain. A belt-drive with endorphine tyres would be perfect, however.

coastkid
    Free Member

try using squirt dry lube for your chain…,800 miles out of dura ace XTR chains on my pugsley on sand,

flamejob
    Free Member

Weather sunny and 21deg… what you here for?

coastkid
    Free Member

im here for scottish scenery!!,winter or summer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What tjres for… the beach? (gratuitous bike pic)’ is closed to new replies.