Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • What time do you eat tea??
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

A slice roll? Not a colloquialism at all, it’s a roll and Lorne sausage, otherwise known as slice(d) sausage. Round here, in fact most places, it’s a roll and link or roll and slice to differentiate between sausages.

But fair enough, both are Ayrshire but not the same Ayrshire I know (Beith is over the valley and Kilmarnock, well, there should be a wall around the East Ayrshire boundary)

pictonroad

Well, as we are the family that eat late referred to in the first post, about 9:30. Our kids are very reluctant to sleep and we’ve got loads to do. It’s works for us.

But, DrP’s face when it was our night to cook and I informed him the earliest I would consider was 7pm. It was a sight. I even entered a different earlier race category so the poor darling wouldn’t have to wait too long. 😉

I cannot imagine eating at 5:30, I haven’t done so since I was at school.

Cougar

I cannot imagine eating at 5:30, I haven’t done so since I was at school.

Late lunch, perhaps?

pictonroad

It was boarding school and it was dinner.

ononeorange

Home around 8pm onwards, so half an hour after that usually.

DrP

But, DrP’s face when it was our night to cook and I informed him the earliest I would consider was 7pm. It was a sight. I even entered a different earlier race category so the poor darling wouldn’t have to wait too long.

🙂

And I thank you kind sir…

I suppose the other thing to consider is the fact that OUR little darling gets us up at stupid o clock (520am today) so for me breakfast is often uber early.

I remember at school I used to eat all my lunch at first break – 1030ish.

I guess I’ve just knocked forward my eating schedule.

Don’t get me started on how much food I need to eat to survive even a modest bike ride!!

DrP

tomhoward

There was a bit on radio 2 about a month ago that I think can shed light on the tea vs dinner debate.

The aristocracy would take afternoon tea (you know the sort- earl grey, cucumber sandwiches with no crust, jam and scones etc) around 3pm.

The folk serving them, once they had finished clearing up, would then have something to eat, known as ‘high tea’. The difference from afternoon tea simply being the temperature of the food. Normally eaten between 430 and 6pm

Then at around 8, dinner would be served to the aristocracy.

Iirc supper was what was left over for the servants.

So, if you are anything other than the aristocracy, it’s tea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Growing up on the farm my Grandma would always serve tea – not post but bread, jam, cake etc. with a couple of pots of tea about 3:30/4 which was good enough to get a break from the cold and keep you going until dinner/supper after a good few hours more work.

Not uncommon in a busy lambing or winter time to start in the dark with a cup of tea, breakfast (full english) at 8, pop in for a hot drink at 11, Lunch at 12/1, tea at 3 the finish up about 7 just in time for dinner.

Not just for the aristocracy 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s a roll and Lorne sausage, otherwise known as slice(d) sausage. Round here, in fact most places, it’s a roll and link or roll and slice to differentiate between sausages.

Also know as square sausage, even though it’s a rectangle.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Whatever time Eurosport shows the highlights of that day’s racing is when we sit down and eat…can be quite late…

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘What time do you eat tea??’ is closed to new replies.