Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • What time do you eat tea??
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Supper in our house (not posh) was something light to eat near bedtime.

Yep same here

iainc

peterfile – Member
    Breakfast 6
    Lunch 12
    Dinner 8

Tea is a drink. High Tea is eating out for old people.

+1

must be a Scottish thing 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

A wee slice of roasted cheese perhaps?

peterfile
    Free Member

hahahahah yes!!! 🙂

iainc

you mean ‘cheese on toast’ ? yes !

DrP

What about all the mums screaming out into the street at the muddy faced urchins… “TEA’S READY”..???

Big ol’ can of worms this one!

I do vary though…
    either:
    -breakfast, dinner, tea
    or
    -breakfast, lunch, dinner

Never supper. I’m not a Northern pauper.

DrP

nbt

supper for me was always two weetabix in front of the telly, probalby with doctor who or tomorrow’s world on it, probalby wearing PJs having already had a bath

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yeah, Roasted Cheese! 😉 It must be a Weegie / Lanarkshire thing. 😀

scotroutes

+1
    must be a Scottish thing [/quote]+2
    Maybe it is!

convert

Never supper. I’m not a Northern pauper.

Supper is also a super posh thing too. It’s only the middle class that don’t do supper.

It’s only when I started mixing (sort of) is posh circles I realised being asked round for supper was like being asked round for dinner but posher mostly involving food stuffs I’d never heard of before and talk of where one finds a good nanny.

peterfile
    Free Member

Supper is also a super posh thing too. It’s only the middle class that don’t do supper.

+1

I was invited to my boss’s house (well, country estate…she was old money from the SE) for supper when I started in my old job. I cringe about it now, but I did actually make a confused statement about being surprised at how early she must eat dinner if they ate supper at 7pm 😳

Might as well put the big light on while I’m at it!

DrP

I’m happy on my middle class societal rung!!

DrP

perchypanther
    Free Member

Supper is also a super posh thing too.

Would Sir care to sample the Welsh Rarebit?

kudos100
    Free Member

Tea.

Afternoon tea (posh bollocks)

Supper

Dinner

DrP

From the Oxford dictionary:
    “Tea
    British A cooked evening meal:
    fish and chips for tea
    [COUNT NOUN]: the food was nothing like the teas his wife cooked”

Winner winner chicken tea…

DrP

scotroutes

Can’t be supper. It’s still light outside!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are you from Ayrshire?

No, he means toasted cheese 🙂

GrahamS

North of the border, fish and chips is a “fish supper”.

Case closed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

yes but you have it after being in the pub for the evening, so after dinner 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are you from Ayrshire?

No. My parents aren’t even related……. 😳

perchypanther
    Free Member

Exactly.

something light to eat near bedtime.

peterfile
    Free Member

Case closed.

Once you step inside a fish and chip shop, supper simply means “with chips”.

Cougar

I’ve now managed to switch to calling the mid-day meal lunch (otherwise that oddity of brunch wouldn’t make sense)

Yeah, otherwise it’d be Binner- wait a minute…

A little further South of there and it’s something you’d hope to get at the end of the night in a Preston night club.

ads678

I finish work about 5 get home between 5:30 & 6 depending if we have to pick the kids up from the child minders.

If we have to they have usually eaten so they get a snack before bed and we eat after, usually about 8:30 – 9.

If kids are not at child minder then we will eat between 5:30 & 6:30.

Our lass says tea cos she’s a Yorkshire lass but i’m a midlander so i’m never bloody right!

Might have a fish supper for me tea tonight though……

Coyote
    Free Member

A little further South of there and it’s something you’d hope to get at the end of the night in a Preston night club.

😆

GrahamS

Once you step inside a fish and chip shop, supper simply means “with chips”.

Indeed. Including a “chip supper” 😀

Only in Scotland tho. Our chip van man in Northumberland was quick to point out. 😳

And don’t get me started on “sot’n’soss?”

29erKeith
    Free Member

We only manage to eat early with the little man (3 year old) weekends and the two days he’s not a nursery and we work each work a half day from home normally, and each will have it ready as the other arrives.

We don’t like him eating too late/close to his bed time on those days. Doesn’t always work and sometimes we eat later on those days, but we like to eat together as a family as much as we can, as he gets older and bed times move back a bit it’ll be easier to eat together at 7ish which we’d find a bit more normal.

29erKeith
    Free Member

My Mum and Wife use “tea” to refer to meals too, I correct ’em every-time 😉
    They’re both born and bread souther’s too. The thing that bugs me most is that that use it completely ambiguously. Could mean Lunch, Dinner, Supper or even posh high nonsense, which I’ve never personally partaken in in my life. But I was brought up in Council house by my single parent mum and I don’t don’t drink tea or coffee, and sandwiches in my book are best cut as doorstops, as should cake, ploughman’s and a pint is more me. High tea is for the ladies wot lunch. 😆

Bunnyhop

nbt – Member
    supper for me was always two weetabix in front of the telly, probalby with doctor who or tomorrow’s world on it, probalby wearing PJs having already had a bath

No change there then (snigger) 😉

MrOvershoot

Well I’m just eating my Fish Pie, not Ton’s version 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Are you from Ayrshire?

No. My parents aren’t even related…….

Bravo!

I’ve lost count of how long it’s been since I laughed like that. Surprising considering the amount of fingers and toes I have… But roasted cheese? Not an Ayrshire thing. Maybe Inverclyde, they come out with some right pish up there.

Dinner is at 1730-45 (depending how shit I’ve been at timekeeping) for me and child then 1830 for the mother. About 2030-2100 if we’re eating together.

Peterfile nailed it though. The argument that is, not my wife. Or my dinner.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Do schools have lunchladies nowadays then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a very non specific time now I’m single and work from home, it’s not uncommon to get till around 9pm and then realise I’ve not eaten or just to skip it if I’ve had a very late lunch..
    Breakfast wake up time – Noon,
    Lunch Noon – Dark
    Dinner 4-Midnight

Chuck in that sometimes my early morning meetings/calls run over breakfast can easily become lunch too.

Routine is very important to me

Gary_M
    Free Member

But roasted cheese? Not an Ayrshire thing. Maybe Inverclyde, they come out with some right pish up there.

I’ve only ever heard two people call toasted cheese ‘roastit cheese’, one from Kilmarnock and one from beith (yes I admit I know someone from beith).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beith would be far preferable to Kilmarnock!.

As per peterfile, but dinner at 5.30. I get home from work at 5, even after a 30 minute commute on the bike, and eating at 5.30 still allows time to do something in the evening. If I ate dinner at 8pm, I wouldn’t night ride frinstance.

And it’s definitely toasted cheese!.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actually just had Tea for the first time 17:30, Pot of tea, toast and marmalade 🙂

steveoath
    Free Member

Tea=dinner in our house. Except when tea=hot water strained through dry plant leaves.

For colloquialisms though I raise you….. a slice roll. Inverclyde/greenock region. Means?

badllama
    Free Member

Ill have mine at around 6pm and watch the news on week nights except Friday as it depends on what time the BF4 multi player game finishes im in the middle of:-)

We have no kids so its 6-7pm for me then 8-9pm for my partner as she works nights i usally wait until she has gone to work then do all the wahing up 9.30pm ish Modern man and all of thar lol

TheSanityAssassin

Breakfast around 8.00am
    Dinner around 1.30pm
    Tea anywhere between 6.30pm and 1.30am, depending on what I’m doing after work and how easily I’m distracted.

mogrim

Breakfast sometime around 6:30, lunch after 13:00, then dinner at 20:30 or so. When the kids were smaller we used to have dinner at 20:00, now the youngest is 11 it’s got a bit later.

Weekends breakfast @ 8, lunch @ 15:00, dinner @ 22:00.

Spanish timetable (although my weekday lunchtime is a bit early, 14:00 would be more usual). And the Spanish find it completely weird/amazing/incredible that lunch in the UK is sometime around midday…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘What time do you eat tea??’ is closed to new replies.