Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • What time can builders start on a Sunday?
  • stew1982
    Free Member

My next door neighbours builder started at…………7:30 on SundayMorning- is it me or is that taking the pee a little bit (my neighbours have moved out whilst the work is done!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d complain to the builder or neighbour.

Edric64
    Free Member

I would probably leave it till 9 on a Sunday but dont know what the law is

druidh
    Free Member

Looking on the bright side, the earlier they start the fewer days it will take them to complete the job.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Isn’t it 7.30am regardless of the day (and no later than 11pm?)

djglover
    Free Member

Sound like a good builder, can you get me his number?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shock horror – a lot of people work on weekends. There is nothing special about Sunday.

Just a normal day for them. If the noise is too loud or an issue in general then maybe you have something to go on.

stew1982
    Free Member

I have had a quick word with my neighbour, who said he ask tell them to let me at least have peace until 8am (Sods law my little girl will have me awakes anyway!)

7:30 just seems silly on a Sunday, especially some councils official line is that you can’t use power tools at all on a Sunday (Enfield council) – My parents neighbour is a right missery!

stew1982
    Free Member

Sunday isn’t a normal day – its the only day I get to sleep past 6am! (well a bit later on a Sat)

I actually don’t have a problem with them working on a Sun – just waiting until 8-9am would be nice!(and considerate)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

7:30 just seems silly on a Sunday, especially some councils official line is that you can’t use power tools at all on a Sunday (Enfield council) – My parents neighbour is a right missery!

Wow sure the no power tools on a Sunday would last 2s under a serious challenge.

Why is Sunday different to Saturday or Tuesday?

poly
    Free Member

Much earlier might be unreasonable but unless the building work required planning permission and therefore might have a restriction in place, then you are probably reliant on either common sense or the Noise Act, to protect you. The Noise Act defines “Night Hours” as 11pm-7am. Outside this time the local authority has no obligation to investigate.

Personally you might want to see it as an opportunity to get up and do something useful with the day rather than waste it in bed…

djglover
    Free Member

Did you want to be a NIMBY when you were little?

stew1982
    Free Member

NIMBY?

Well personally you might, but not me. I’d hardly call sleeping until 8-9am wasting my day! Seriously – dismount the high horse!

stew1982
    Free Member

Not in my back yard? (oh and I am still young to be fair!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

NIMBY?

Well personally you might, but not me.

Still not sure why you want to make it different on Sunday. Other people have a lie in on a Thursday.

Should all builders start only after ensuring the whole street has got up and had breakfast?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did you want to be a NIMBY when you were little?

Did you want to think up of stupid things to post on forums when you were little?

Personally, if a builder started next door on a Sunday, let alone at 7.30am, I’d have a rocket up his arse and tell him to **** off and come back on Monday. Surely, you’re “entitled” (but not by law, just common decency) to at least one day of quietness from building work next door.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still not sure why you want to make it different on Sunday. Other people have a lie in on a Thursday.

Should all builders start only after ensuring the whole street has got up and had breakfast?

Hmmm….I wonder why most people have Sunday off…do you think it might not be a little bit different from other days in the week, or were you particularly eager to post an opposing viewpoint this evening?

stew1982
    Free Member

Even the shops can’t open early on Sundays! (at the moment)
    We live in a democracy and majority rules – most people work Min-Fri, so we have this thing called a “weekend”

stew1982
    Free Member

Deadlydarcy – think you have found Mr Nail & Mr Head there!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have just grown up with people working over the whole week (on a farm) the idea that everyone should have Sunday off is outdated.

Currently I work the days I need to the GF does the same, this week she is off Thurs/Fri.

Certain shops can’t open early, others can. In Scotland I seem to recall 24hr supermarket opening 7 days a week.

or were you particularly eager to post an opposing viewpoint this evening?

Just suggesting that there is no actual unified day of rest – there is a number of people who don’t work Mon-Fri.

stew1982
    Free Member

In fairness they only work weekends next door (though the fact I leave for work about 6:30, and am not normally home until 7 means I wouldn’t know if they did anyway) which is kind of irrelevant!

nealglover
    Free Member

Hmmm….I wonder why most people have Sunday off…do you think it might not be a little bit different from other days in the week, or were you particularly eager to post an opposing viewpoint this evening?

This 100%

Of course Sunday is different. Anyone that claims to think it isn’t, is clearly looking for someone to disagree with.

As a percentage of the population, how many people are at work at 7:30 on a Sunday morning I wonder ?

molgrips
    Free Member

rather than waste it in bed

Since when is being in bed a waste of time? Sleep does all sorts of great things for you, don’t skimp on it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On a farm, where the noise you make is such a massive disturbance to your neighbours? Yes of course.

The idea that everyone should have Sunday off is far from outdated…because I reckon the great majority of the population don’t work on a Sunday. Builders have plenty of time from Monday to Saturday to do their banging and crashing around and should give neighbours a break on Sunday at least.

there is a number of people who don’t work Mon-Fri.

Yep, but builders aren’t in that group…at least not the ones that do renovations in peoples’ houses while they piss off to get away from the disturbance.

stew1982
    Free Member

I actually have no problem with Sunday working (unless it’s noisy, all year round and in a purely residential area). If I lived next to a farm, I’d expect it, if I lived next to a hospital I’d expect, if I live in a nice quiet neighbourhood I wouldn’t. You choose your neighbourhood, and your house and you pays your money according to location and size – simples. I actually have no neighbours that work weekends, so would expect most people to be asleep at that time on a Sunday!

poly
    Free Member

stew1982 – Member
    Even the shops can’t open early on Sundays! (at the moment)
    We live in a democracy and majority rules – most people work Min-Fri do we have this thing called a “weekend”

We do, so if you want to change the law you’ll need to lobby parliament. You might get some of the “Keep Sunday Special” lobby on your side, but quite a few of them will like some DIY, have petrol lawnmowers, and no time for people lying in till 9am so not sure you’ll get them all.

However it is a free society and you could move to an area like the Outer Hebrides where Sunday is still different and you will get funny looks for hanging your washing out. {Ironically your weird Sunday opening rules for shops don;t apply in Scotland, yet it is here that there is this last enclave of staunchly protecting the Sabath]

I actually don’t have a problem with them working on a Sun – just waiting until 8-9am would be nice!(and considerate)

You are upset enough to post on an internet forum the day after being woken up half an hour early; do you think you have this in proportion?

to at least one day of quietness from building work next door

once you are up you can go and ride your bike (don’t worry the democratic majority are lazy f*****s so the roads are quiet – or you can go to the countryside and ride your mountainbike; a carefully selected route should be quiet except for birdsong and the wind!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You are upset enough to post on an internet forum the day after being woken up half an hour early; do you think you have this in proportion?

I think he’s being overly reasonable to be honest; as I said, I’d keep at them till they **** off and gave me some peace.

the Outer Hebrides where Sunday is still different

Sunday is still different all over the country, not just The Outer Hebrides.

once you are up you can go and ride your bike

Sometimes, on a Sunday, I don’t go and ride my bike and I certainly don’t expect some builder next door to force me out to get a bit of peace. I might want to get the paper, have a brew and sit down for a bit of R&R – and I don’t want to listen to somebody making a racket next door…all day. Somebody mowing the lawn? Yeah fine, it’s only going to be for a half an hour or something. No big deal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough then……
    I wasn’t just taking the opposite side for sport but more that I’ve seen the other side. A local quarry where I used to live was petitioned but people (who had all moved to the area recently) due to them daring to make a noise on a Saturday morning. I’ve seen plenty of sites that work 24/7.

2001 figures had about 16% of the population working shifts officially
    add in small business hard to pick when they are not working, farming (about 1%) and any others we are getting to a larger % of the population.

However go round have a word explain that you want a lie in on Sundays and see how they take it.

#Edit Perhaps you could arrange to call him when your ready for him to come round 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, no, no, no…go round and tell them you don’t want them there AT ALL on a Sunday…don’t start from a weak negotiating point. 😀

Cougar

nealglover
    Free Member

2001 figures had about 16% of the population working shifts officially

That doesn’t mean too much, I’ve worked shifts at a few places.

Last shift finished Saturday lunchtime.
    First shift started Monday morning.
    Nobody worked Sunday.

zomg

Wow. How mediaeval. Are Shabbat, Shabbos, Jumu’ah and FSM day out too? I usually have my weekly lie-in on a Saturday. Does it make me some aberration?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, it does.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most people don’t work shifts. Most people don’t work weekends and they expect some peace and relaxation, it’s only fair. Those who work shifts over weekends generally accept it’s going to be harder to sleep because the rest of the world works then (and they often get paid more for the inconvenience, at least in every job I’ve had that did).

If they started before 8 I’d be having words, if they started before 9 on a weekend I’d still take the hump.

bruneep

Those who work shifts over weekends generally accept it’s going to be harder to sleep because the rest of the world works then (and they often get paid more for the inconvenience

No the gov don’t like to pay us pesky PS workers any extra, because we have repay the current debt that this country owes.

trout
    Free Member

might just be the poor builder has been rained off way too much to keep to the agreed schedule so to get back on track and finish on time he has to do a few sundays . wont be for ever so take him a cuppa round and have a chat now your awake

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My next door neighbours builder started at…………7:30 on SundayMorning- is it me or is that taking the pee a little bit (my neighbours have moved out whilst the work is done!)

It’s taking the piss. Commercial construction work which involves noise is not allowed at all on Sundays. And not after 1pm on Saturdays. Get in touch with your LA, they should get a hefty fine. And quite right too.

aP
    Free Member

I think that a commercial construction firm working on a Sunday, particularly on a Sunday morning at 7.30am in a residential neighbourhood would know that they’re almost certainly taking the piss. Many LA’s forbid construction work on Sundays and additionally would expect a Section 60 notice or to have put in place a Section 52 agreement.
    I’m amazed at the number of people on here that think this is acceptable.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If my bro in law was working a few extra on a sunday as he often is at the moment..

If your bro in law is in construction then he needs to learn how to organise his life in such a way so that he doesn’t need to work on sundays. That’s what construction companies throughout the UK manage to do. I see no reason why people should have their sundays spoilt/ruined due to his incompetence or greedy/selfish desire for more money.

yunki
    Free Member

worth the ban I think 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What time can builders start on a Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.