Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What ti seatpost
  • jonnyrockymountain

I have been using a use sumo ti seatpost for about 12 months and love the ti feel, but just sold it because it has 15mm of set back and I need 0 set back due to new frame being a bit longer.
    So what other ti seatposts out there that are 0 set back? I have being looking at a few, but are there any more that you guys know off, or has anyone got a second hand one they want to sell
    I need minimum 350mm long and either 27.2 or 31.6 dia
    1) torus ti inline £125
    2) Carbon cycles £76
    3) j&l (eBay) ???

boxfish
    Free Member

Van Nicholas? Doesn’t do oval rails though.

jonnyrockymountain

Ahh forgot to put that on my list of needs,I need a clamp system that will do both oval and round rails

slackalice
    Free Member

Eriksen?

I think Funk Cycles also make Ti components such as posts. Although be careful visiting their site! After a recent ebay/marketplace heads up on Retrobike for a Funk La Ruta and having not heard of it/them before, I believe I have found my Ultimate bike! 😀

Almost worth starting a new thread about…

somafunk

I have a Lynskey TI seatpost on my Kinesis ATR Tripster, 350mm, inline head and comes with the very secure enve clamp system that has clamps for carbon rails and normal TI rails/steel rails , I think it was £170ish from any shop that is supplied by hotlines.

tinribz
    Free Member

Been using a J&L for a few years, been fine. It’s the super light one and I use it for the CX / Road. Not sure I’d put it on a MTB, the way it connects to the rails isn’t the most robust. But they have other models now.

somafunk

Lynskey post here, ignore the whiny remarks about the sticker/logo – if you need a sticker to validate your expensive purchase to everyone then you’re a cockweasel, and as for the comment regarding it should come in a 350mm size here’s a novel idea – there is a tool called a hacksaw – use it and stfup.

The enve clamp is very secure in use and unlike the wide (but also good) thomson clamp it will not protrude out the side of narrow nosed saddles, such as my Fizik Aliante.

jonnyrockymountain

Mmmmmmmm the lynskey does look nice!

slackalice
    Free Member

Please excuse what may be a numpty question, how would you describe the differences between ti, carbon and aluminium seat posts?

I ‘get’ titanium, in so far as I love the ride feel of my ti hardtail, as I do my steel HT and I’m also aware that this perceived frame ‘feel’ has as much to do with many other contributing factors, not just the material with which the frame is made from. A seatpost doesn’t have as many influences to define its character, so are the nuances of each material more easily noticeable?

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the latest Lynskey post. Looks great, rides soft, Enve clamp works fine unlike some similar rotating head designs – Bontrager and USE Sumo for example. A tad pricy, but very nice.

somafunk

The lynskey is nice, but more importantly the clamp is very secure and minuscule as my previous thomson post clamp stuck out the sides of the Aliante saddle rails and rubbed through a pair of castelli shorts – i took the huff and bought the lynskey.

If Kent Eriksen deems the clamp to be good enough for his posts then i’m happy wi it, and i cut my post down so i’ve got a surplus 200mm length of ti tube to fondle as i see fit 😉

plus-one

I got my j&l off here £25 🙂

Hammered on the Mtb no issues or creaks …

jonnyrockymountain

Anyone got the carbon cycles one?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thinking about one for my Ti CX bike. 31.6 is the standard fit. I did run a 27.2 carbon one with a shim.
    What do you lot reckon? 27.2 with shim or 31.6?
    Anything wrong with the ebay jobs? for the money anyway?

jonnyrockymountain

I ran my sumo 27.2 with a shim as you get slightly more flex from a thinner post

mattsccm
    Free Member

Shims. Ti in Ti.
    Plastic or alloy? Alloy sometimes creaks a bit but at least its metal.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Got a 27.2mm Torus layback (350mm)I think they do them straight and in 31.6. A luminously beautiful, twin bolt laser etched thing it is. Thought about Moots, Lynskey and Erickson, even the new salsa Ti post, but at £125 versus the cost of the US made ones its a good deal. Must get round to fitting it to the bike rather than gawking at it when I roll in from the pub…..

jonnyrockymountain

Matt I used a use thermoplastic shim

houndlegs
    Free Member

somafunk, I really like that bike, it looks like an ideal all rounder.

takisawa2

Ooh, that bike is lovely somafunk.
    Truly lovely.

somafunk

Cheers peeps, if i was given an ultimatum to only have one bike for the rest of my life it’d be this one rather than my Cove Hummer. It’s just as happy wi 25mm skinny roadie tyres as fitted in the pic as it is with 40mm chunky off road tyres (been round kirroughtree/dalbeattie/mabie no probs) and laden up with bar bags, frame bag and lightweight/small panniers for multi day off road epics (not really that epic…more a slow dawdle through the hills), although it had to have a tubus Ti rear rack for obvious pimp reasons.

An old pic before i upgraded the bars to salsa woodchippers and ultegra cx crankset, it’s my perfect do it all bike, tiz’ a shame the rider lags behind somewhat and could do with a few choice upgrades 😉

noltae
    Free Member

Control tech ti mania – they look nice …

jonnyrockymountain

Just ordered the torus one, look forward to it arriving, let you all know.

jonnyrockymountain

Torus ti seatpost arrived today, really nice bit of kit and clamping system very nice simple and easy at £125 a bargin

noltae
    Free Member

If one is running a ti post do folk think the added compliance would be noticed in a blind test over and and above an aluminium post ?

cokie

I imagine it depends on Ti quality and diameter..
    I would imagine some cheap Ti in 27.2mm would give some noticeable compliance.
    A Bigger would be tyres and tyre pressure.

BadlyWiredDog

If one is running a ti post do folk think the added compliance would be noticed in a blind test over and and above an aluminium post ?

Yes, I’ve run a Thomson and Lynskey ti seatpost both in 31.6mm and 27.2mm flavours and there’s a very obvious difference in feel even in the larger size. It’ll obviously depend on how flexible the ti post is and how stiff the alloy one, but back to back on on the same bike with the same set-up otherwise, I can definitely feel the difference.

I’m sure lots of people will be along to tell you that I’m deluded and it’s all down to tyre wear or something, but my experience is that you can tell. I’m not saying it’s worth £150 btw and I actually prefer the slightly stiffer feedback from the Thomson in a Ragley Ti, but I think there is a very definite difference.

chestrockwell

Try to find an old Syncros one, they look ace.

Anonymous
    Free Member

I used to run a Sumo and liked it.

I now run a Syntax P6 Hilflex which is carbon laid up to provide flex fore and aft. It is a lot more comfortable than a Sumo providing 2-3cm of movement and has less/no setback. It’s £200 but worth it IMHO.

therevokid
    Free Member

use a sumo as it has 10mm layback … inline is to short and the
    normal 20/25mm layback ones are to long … Perfect for me 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

I have an X-Lite Metal Matrix seatpost (very expensive BITD but I got my 27.2mm one cheap from Winstanleys for £25). Best purchase I’ve made for my road bike, just takes a bit of road buzz out and makes for a more comfortable ride on the bike over a long day out. Silly light too!

I’d pay £125 for a Ti post if it made the same difference.

Martin.B
    Free Member

For Ti posts have you tried Travers, Spin Precision or Ti Cycles?

noltae
    Free Member

I’m eyeing up the Salsa 25mm setback ti
    RRP £250 – hence ‘eyeing’ up !) Feeling hard done by with plain old 7075 ..

noltae
    Free Member

Anyone tried a firefly ti 27.2 ?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Over the years I’ve had a Syncros, a moots and a Lynsky, all did the job without creaks or much fettling, still use them all bar the moots which currently sits on my work bench waiting for a bike to fit. 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What ti seatpost’ is closed to new replies.