Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What the hell is wrong with me
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

For the past 6 months I have been feeling really low and down. I find myself tired and fatigued all the time. Every other day I wake up with a headache, find myself going to the toilet to urinate every hour. I have totally lost interest in things I used to enjoy doing mountain biking,riding my motorbike and messing with my dslr. Lost my sex drive completely to the point where it is starting to have an affect on mine and partners relationship.
    Totally lost interest in everything including housework which I have to force myself to do.
    But I have just been to Greece for the past two weeks and I felt like a different person full of energy,happy sex drive back. Waking up early to make the most of the day enjoying beer again etc.

But as soon as I stepped back in England boom that feeling of dread is back.
    I know you get holiday blues but this feeling has been going on since the beginning of the year.
    I know that most will say man up but I’ve tried that and it works for a hour and then I slip back.

Don’t know if it’s early seasonal affective disorder or mild depression.

Any ideas to beat this?

Drac

Sounds like stress and/or depression to me. GP to make sure it isn’t anything else and to ask about counselling. Good luck.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Whatever this is, it’s definitely one to take to your doctor.

Everything you’re describing sounds like a spot of depression to me, but (I am not a doctor) I’ve never heard the “going to the toilet to urinate every hour” thing, which doesn’t sound ideal at all and may want some attention as well.

Personally, I find just going to the doctor makes a significant difference when I’m having a bad patch. If my local surgery is being annoying about appointments, I have paid for a private GP before now. Being able to see someone without it being a hassle, and without having to describe yourself as “urgent” to get an appointment tomorrow isn’t actually a bad investment.

Also (wild guess) this is job-related blues, right? Type your resignation letter, sign it, don’t put a date on it yet, keep it handy. That one buys me an immediate improvement. Worth a try.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoeG
    Free Member

Depression +1 (except for the hourly pissing)

What will it take to get over it? Who knows. Exercise often helps. As can counseling. Some people need medication. Every case is different.

See a doctor.

And if it is depression, use it as an excuse reason to buy the new bike that you always wanted! 😉

outofbreath
    Free Member

Weeing a lot can be a symptom of diabetes.

rone

Quite a few things there. Some of which happened to me.

All of a sudden I started going to the toilet a lot and found I couldn’t tolerate Tea. Coffee fine, but even if I have tea now – then boom.

Sex drive, I still don’t have it, dunno whether it’s too much cycling perhaps or just got a bit bored or habit.

So yeah stress or something?

beefheart
    Free Member

badnewz
    Free Member

I get a weak bladder too during periods of depression and stress.

And it sounds like you are depressed.

As it has been going on for a while you should see the doctor.

lodious
    Free Member

I have a seasonal problem with headaches caused by my body producing more urine in Autumn. It starts in October, and stops before Christmas. It gives very distinctive headaches, a bit like a hangover, but without drinking anything.

By chance, I got diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency…I dunno if the two are related, but this year I’ve been taking vitamin D supplements and I think it’s helping.

Might be worth a try?

jimmy

Stress related depression it sounds like to me. What’s going through your mind all waking hours? You maybe need that sorting out.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well done.

You are already on the road to recovery.

Realisation that something is wrong and needs addressing is a big hurdle IMHO … You’ve made a first step… even if it’s “just” coming onto STW.

man up

…. Manning up… is working at finding the solutions to your problem and not being “scared” to ask for help.

Good luck

Drac

Weeing a lot can be a symptom of diabetes, UTI, anxiety, depression, prostate problems amongst other things.

From what I recall you had a rather shit time with bad health and work putting you on a sickness review, that isn’t something you’re going to forget in a hurry.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find myself tired and fatigued all the time …. find myself going to the toilet to urinate every hour

Two of the three diabetes warnings that were all over a poster campaign a while back.

Docs.

jimdubleyou

Been bitten by a Tick in the last 12 months? Could be Lyme disease…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How did you diet in Greece compare ?

One obvious difference is the Sun and vitamin D intake because of it – the RDA of vit D in this country is supposedly too low – it is 3 times higher in Canada for example. Something like 70% of cells have vit D receptors, so we are gagging for it and if we don’t get enough then problems ensue. Talk to Cinnamon Girl on here – she’s a depression expert !

However going for a p1ss every hour sounds like a real issue – I have a terrible bladder that is oversensitive and a high bladder neck so it doesn’t empty properly either (!!!) and even I am not that bad.

Were you like this is Greece also, or was it only because you were hammered that you slept more deeply ?

gatsby
    Free Member

Been bitten by a Tick in the last 12 months? Could be Lyme disease…

In spring last year, I started having terrible motivational problems, constantly fatigued, couldn’t get out of bed in the morning and was sleeping 14-15hrs a night.

I had no interest in anything, felt lethargic, depressed, spent 2 months living in a complete haze and barely remember anything that happened during that period.

I remembered that I’d had a couple of tick bites prior to my symtoms, so spoke to my GP who knew nothing about Lyme disease. She did some research and agreed to do tests. It turn out I had Lyme disease and a course of powerful antibiotics seemed to do the trick.

It doesn’t explain your Greek Renaissance, but might be worth considering as it’s not very well understood and has such a broad spectrum of symptoms… Good luck!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Depression +1 (including the hourly pissing) You know what you need to do, go do it.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Phil Gartside?

Jamz
    Free Member

Depression is not a cause, its a symptom (in the first instance).

It seems to me that you are exhibiting symptoms over too broad a spectrum to have any one cause – your condition has progressed to the stage where the original problem is affecting other systems of the body.

I would first look to your diet as much of what you are describing could be attributed to a body that is undernourished and over worked (stressed). It would would be wise to purchase ‘Nourishing Traditions’ by Sally Fallon as a general prescription for proper eating. It’s really quite staggering what difference nutrient deficiencies can make to a person over time. The problems tend to creep up on you, so maybe you end up just pushing them to the back of you mind until things become too much to bear. Thankfully the body has a fantastic ability to heal itself so long as you supply it with the stuff it needs to do so.

Secondly, I would recommend some sort of meditation practice, probably best done with a regular class in the first instance, just to get you started off in the right direction. You cannot have a healthy body without a healthy mind and likewise if you had a healthy body then there’s a good chance you’d have a healthy mind. They look after each other and you must get familiar with them both so that you can keep them in check.

I don’t know particularly much about these things, but when you mentioned you felt a lot better in Greece I was stuck by the thought that you’re probably Vitamin D deficient. If you do go to the Doctor that might be something worth enquiring about, particularly because anyone exercising regularly will have a greater demand for vitamin D.

Finally, if you do go to the Doctors and get diagnosed with depression and given some pills then I would read ‘Anatomy of an Epidemic’ by Robert Whitaker before you start taking them. Then it would be a good idea to throw them in the bin and look for root of the problem. There’s a book called ‘Gut and Psychology Syndrome’ by Natasha Campbell-McBride which has a section on depression and is well worth reading.

I do hope you can resolve your problems without too much trouble 🙂

oldnick

Finally, if you do go to the Doctors and get diagnosed with depression and given some pills then I would read ‘Anatomy of an Epidemic’ by Robert Whitaker before you start taking them. Then it would be a good idea to throw them in the bin and look for root of the problem.

Funny that. It was the pills that leveled me up enough to find a good counselor.

And I stopped getting the equipment together that I needed for my chosen method of suicide.

So yeah, chuck those pills away.

cinnamon_girl

Talk to Cinnamon Girl on here – she’s a depression expert !

TurnerGuy – no, I am not. I have never had depression despite being repeatedly misdiagnosed with it by a number of GP’s.

You make a good point about vitamin D, many people have an inadequate level but you may not get tested on the NHS. Private testing is around £25, in my experience.

I believe that what is overlooked is the important role of sufficient levels of vitamins and minerals in our diets. These are the building blocks to good health. Additionally intensive farming has a lot to answer for, nutrients such as selenium are being lost from the soil.

OP – I do hope you find some answers. Sometimes we have to be our own detective as we’re the only person who truly has our interest at heart.

MoreCashThanDash

See GP. It might be depression. If he gives you pills, push for talking therapy/counselling, or maybe work will provide it. See various posts and threads of mine since July.

Had another group CBT session this morning. Not sure if it is us or the counsellor that needs more help!

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot to say well done for realising something is wrong and wanting to change it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I was eating and drinking quite well in Greece three meals a day and doing a lot of walking so lots of sun exposure. Drinking plenty of water also. Didn’t get rat arsed but did drink every night. But with fluid intake my urination was what you’d class as normal once every 4-6 hours
    At home I seem to eat just to survive and can not be bothered to cook.
    My days off I just want to sleep and have no motivation to do anything. I bought a new mountain bike in March and I’ve done maybe 250 miles max this year.
    I’m thinking maybe work is the cause and have thought maybe cutting down to 30 hours may help.

It really got me down when I found out after this week of night shifts I’m off for 2 days and then I’m going to be working 9 days in a row off for 2 then another 6.

Simon

Do you think working nights might be part of the problem?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Aren’t you a nurse?

Get someone to do your bloods ASAP.

FBC, haematinics, U&Es, fasting blood glucose. See what that says.

project
    Free Member

Go to GP and ask for a few blood tests, i had the same symptoms when i got iron deficency anaemia, iron tablets and a large blood transfusion helped also have you been exposed to anty incecticides or strong chemicals lately,perhaps have a look at your washing powder and other smelly stuff, they sometimes cause intolerances.Change them and see

kudos100
    Free Member

Tory government. Lots of people feel the same right now.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for going to see your doctor – sounds to me more like depression than anything else – poss work-related rather than life-related if it was ok when you were away?

I’m job-hunting at the moment and getting absolutely nowhere and feeling increasingly depressed about my opportunities for making a living – but at weekends or out for a walk or a ride and I’m much happier. So maybe your problem is situational rather than general?

This place is full of experience, helpful advice and useful sources of additional info…

Whilst I don’t agree entirely with Kudos100 that it’s the Tories fault, I think an awful lot of people are feeling worried about the future right now and you’re not alone in feeling stressed…

Good luck…

kudos100
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t agree entirely with Kudos100 that it’s the Tories fault, I think an awful lot of people are feeling worried about the future right now and you’re not alone in feeling stressed…

It was tongue in cheek, but I agree, I think a lot of people are feeling gloomy about the future and about work. Depression and stress seem to be on the increase.

koldun
    Free Member

Might be worth a thyroid check too as if its under active it can cause similar symptoms.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Used to work nights for 5 years previously before this job three nights for two weeks and four nights for two weeks and had enough time to get stuff done and felt fine.

I’ll get some bloods done. Dipped my urine and that’s not showing anything blood sugar is normal
    luckily we don’t have any money worries or debts so it’s not that. House isn’t perfect but it’s a comfortable home. So that’s not an issue causing this.

I did have a terrible record of acute injuries in the past two years plus my step mum having a life changing brain injury. And both Grandparents dying plus issues with work.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The threat of Corbyn getting in/Cameron staying in. Both have that effect on me.

Seriously though, we are each other. (except for the weeing bit)
    My problem is work (or rather, ‘my job’) & at least I know that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The threat of Corbyn getting in/Cameron staying in. Both have that effect on me.

Seriously though, we are each other. (except for the weeing bit)
    My problem is work (or rather, ‘my job’) & at least I know that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See, I’m losing the plot. (like those gravediggers who got lost)

jkomo

Could it be seasonal thingy disorder (SAD).
    Or a combination between that, Greek diet (fish, salad, goodstuff) and vitamin D.

Also:
    Check your boiler isn’t pumping out carbon monoxide.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I do suffer from SAD but usually only after Christmas till about March. This has been brewing since last December and improved when I went to Greece and since coming back has hit a peak of feeling tearful, not happy being very down and absolutely no patience or motivation.

Last time I felt like this was from 2000 to 2002. My step dad passed away and I completely went off the rails wagging school, poor grades when I was originally predicted to fly through my gcse’s with 7 A’s I ended up with 4B’s a C a D and a F. Lashing out at anyone that wound me up and slacking in my summer job. Not eating well etc and it only improved when I went to Florida and Australia with my Mum. Was like a changed person.

As soon as I was back in the UK I got tearful and fed up.

I think the current is fed up with work,and stresses of the last two years. Not eating well and lack of motivation.

Northwind

It seems too long a timescale for T1 diabetes, teh symptoms otherwise are a pretty good fit but you’d be sick as a dog after this long, and probably looking like a famine victim. Also, I don’t think greece cures diabetes.

Here’s a thing about depression, stress and anxiety, that I can’t remember ever hearing elsewhere, but I’m pretty sure is true. It’s worst when it’s less bad. Because when it’s properly bad, you’ve really got no choice but to take action. But when it’s merely bad, you can scrape along the bottom and tell yourself you’re functioning, and getting by.

For many folks, seeking help is incredibly hard, it shouldn’t be but being realistic it often is. I wish like hell I had done it sooner, I had to properly crash out. In a way, though, I’m glad it happened because otherwise I would have “got by” for ages and never got better. And even then, I felt like an idiot going to the doctor. But what a difference it can make.

These are just observations; you’re not me.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I have had prostaitis in the past and a urethral stricture due to previous kidney stones scraping down my sensitive sausage. But I think it maybe stress related the urinary problems. As in Greece I was relaxed.
    I’m booked to visit the Gp to see what he can do.
    I feel quite embarrassed but I need to get rid of these feelings as it’s just not me. I’m not a tearful mess normally. I’m usually beaming and full of Energy.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Just keep your chin up mate and go see your doctor

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What the hell is wrong with me’ is closed to new replies.