Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What the hell is going on with MS word?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Office 2007.

If I draw a box, then click on ‘add text’ I can write in it. Then, if I draw another line on top of it, I can never ever click on that new line, because it automatically goes into text editing mode. I can send the original text box to the back, but the text part of it seems always to be on top regardless.

So now I have a line on my diagram that can never be removed or edited. WTactualF? I feel like I’ve gone back in time 15 years ffs.

jam-bo

well, 8 yrs at least…

oldnpastit

Latex, FTW.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ungroup the objects. Move the box. Click the line. Delete the Line. Replace the box.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just managed that. Wtf though seriously?

dragon
    Free Member

Seriously things have moved on, running Office 2016 here and it is way better than 2007.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wtf though seriously?

Pilot error, innit!

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you stop a line snapping to the connector points on the boxes?

Seriously things have moved on, running Office 2016 here and it is way better than 2007.

Yeah I’m sure it is, why don’t you email the boss of my global company and ask her to upgrade us all on my behalf?

chambord
    Free Member

libreoffice ftw

molgrips
    Free Member

HAHAHA

Libre office my fat arse!

I already did this diagram once in Libre Office. Well, I tried – had to use Draw to draw it then copy it in – and I saved, reopened, and it converted my nice diagram into a scribble. So now I have to start again.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It’s almost like 9 years have elapsed.

Anyway, all these misfiring bits of software seem to have one constant…. 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s really cheering me up, thanks a lot. Of course I’ve been drawing diagrams in this tool for years and never had anything like these problems before. But you know, I could randomly have forgotten all my skills, then you’d be right. I’m a stupid idiot after all.

I suspect it might be because I started this document in Libre Office, but it’s hard to see how that would cause these problems. I’ve googled how to stop lines snapping to connectors, and the things the instructions tell me to select don’t actually appear when I follow them – so something’s up.

fisha
    Free Member

In a number of programs, if you press and hold one of the ctrl, or alt, or shift keys when trying to select objects, it will pick the object behind rather than always the top one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hm.. the instructions said that holding down alt will stop it snapping to the grid, but that did not work at all when I tried it. Something very weird is happening today on my computer.

brassneck

Yeah I’m sure it is, why don’t you email the boss of my global company and ask her to upgrade us all on my behalf?

Maybe you should, 2007 was a pretty crappy Office all round if I remember right.
    Even in my global company, where the pace of change can only be adequately described as glacial, we’re up to 2010. Go us :-/

(or try and jump on an Office 365 pilot or something)

Solo
    Free Member

I feel like I’ve gone back in time 15 years ffs.

Just use power point. All the drawing, text, shapes, graphs, etc, you can wave your laptop at.

why don’t you email the boss of my global company and ask her

I may do, is she hot?
    😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Our official software suite is Libre Office, you have to get special dispensation to get Office.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Government?

Saccades
    Free Member

TBF – Word is more about writing than pictures. The more complicated the document the more it starts to do “whacky” things imo.

Greybeard
    Free Member

To turn off snapping, select an object, then look under Format > Align for grid settings.

To select the line behind the box, I usually use the ‘select objects’ arrow and drag a rectangle the includes the line but not the whole box.

Or, possibly, use ‘send to back’ on the box, or when I find the line, use ‘bring to front’. In typical MS style, these don’t seem to work consistently.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What the hell is going on with MS word?’ is closed to new replies.