Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • What the flip happened to Dido?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I watched the film An Education last night which stars Rosamund Pike; a pretty British actor with a striking resemblance to Dido. It got me thinking what on earth happened to Dido after her great success.

Anyone know? – although I await a STW flaming for even mentioning her

wombat

Her career bombed after she decided to reinstate the letter “l” that she’d previously removed from her name

Jamie
    Free Member

Her career bombed after she decided to reinstate the letter “l” that she’d previously removed from her name

Didlo?

SamCooke
    Free Member

I’m surprised you didn’t know. She died in a car crash in Paris, along with Princess Diana. It was in all the papers at the time. There were rumours of an affair.

wombat

Didol…she thought it sounded too much like an indigestion remedy….

binners

Her career bombed because the only thing she ever did that didn’t make you immediately want to hurl yourself from a tall building was inadvertently supply a sample for an Uminum track

atlaz
    Free Member

Looks like a couple of less successful albums then having a kid.

samuri
    Free Member

I think she does quite well in the states, just not over here.

ffej
    Free Member

I’m sure she’s sitting on a huge Scrooge McDuck sized pile of money laughing her head off and enjoying life.. I know I would be.

jota180
    Free Member

Everyone thought ……….. “why the hell should I listen to Dido when I can still listen to Dusty”

rewski
    Free Member

she was wacked by the bland police, coldplay next.

binners

Scrooge McDuck doesn’t get enough mentions on this forum IMHO

Klunk
    Free Member

nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar in 2010

Markie
    Free Member

I’m sure she’s sitting on a huge Scrooge McDuck sized pile of money laughing her head off and enjoying life.. I know I would be.

Amen to that!

For those who care enough to click a link, but not enough to google it themselves (or start a thread asking the question 😉 )…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dido_(singer)

sweepy
    Free Member

I preferred ‘Jasper the grasper’ as my cartoon miser 🙂

Del

LOL @ rewski

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And on the subject of cr@p singers. Where is Heather Small of M People fame? Well out of sight I hope as I don’t want to hear ‘Proud’ regurgitated for the next month.

IHN

That’s Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O’Malley Armstrong to you.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And Desree… What a dire dirge she sung!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Probably living the life of Riley on the proceeds from that album while chubby insecure men who once proudly popped it into the Bose soundsystem in their dining rooms during early attempts at dinner parties, having cooked recipes from “The Naked Chef”, now pan her on internet forums in an attempt to assuage their guilt at having owned the cd. Hope she’s enjoying it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After re-instateing the ‘l’ she looked in the mirrored ceiling and it read Diplo so she became one third of Magnetic Man.

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably living the life of Riley on the proceeds from that album while chubby insecure men who once proudly popped it into the Bose soundsystem in their dining rooms during early attempts at dinner parties, having cooked recipes from “The Naked Chef”, now pan her on internet forums in an attempt to assuage their guilt at having owned the cd. Hope she’s enjoying it.

Always with the chubby men. What’s up with that?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I mis-read you post title 😯

thejesmonddingo

Jamie,DD is famously chubby.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Having worked in a record shop when No Angel came out, i can vouch for the chubby men (and women) buying that along with David Grays White Ladder. More recently it would have been Duffys album and whatever pap Adele feels the need to give birth to…….music for people who don’t buy, or indeed have any interest in, music.

For that matter, what happened to Duffy, she was the next big thing then she cycled round a supermarket looking for diet coke, then disappeared

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Lutricia McNeal, another (fortunately) one-hit wonder.

BoardinBob

Wrote her own stuff + Massively popular in America = probably retired with more money than you can possibly imagine

If that wailing manatee Adele can bank £25 million last year, Dido must be minted

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

music for people who don’t buy, or indeed have any interest in, music.

Agreed.

And if anyone DOES find Dido, give me a shout, I want to punch her in the face.

molgrips
    Free Member

more money than you can possibly imagine

I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.

(nothing to add to the thread, just fancied a film quote)

matt_bl
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Agreed.

Really.

I assuming that it would be OK to have one of your daughters punched in the face if her singing isn’t up to scratch in the nativity this year?

No? Didn’t f**** think so.

Matt

mrmo
    Free Member

Or maybe people who aren’t so up themselves as most of the music journos seem to be bought it because they liked it?

Bit like art , somepeople buy things they like, some people buy sharks in formaldihyde because it is cutting edge and it is what the ‘critics’ gush about.

What is the purpose of art and music? to educate, to entertain, to challenge, etc. Different people, different reasons.

There is no right or wrong answer, well there is a wrong answer liking something because you are told to like something, so as to be in with the ‘cool people’?

LapSteel
    Free Member

Did she have something to do with the cut price supermarket chain Lidl

Jamie
    Free Member

My money is on Dido battering you.

Anyway…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv9pTajZgYA[/video]

BoardinBob

I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.

(nothing to add to the thread, just fancied a film quote)

I’m constantly surprised by how much money music people make, particularly if they write their own stuff. That cretin Amy MacDonald was on the breakfast news a couple of weeks ago going on about how she’d just bought a brand new Ferrari 😕

I didn’t believe she would have enough fans to fund the purchase of a 30 year old FSO Polonez, never mind a brand new Ferrari 458 😯

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Wow! I thought she died over 2000 years ago after founding Carthage, she’s wearing well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Most people have unsophisticated and fairly homogeneous tastes – so all you have to do is tap into that fact and bam. Gazillionaire.

Dan Brown
    J K Rowling
    Hollywood (these people have it really sorted)
    Anonymous crappy watercolour artists
    People who make prints of Impressonists
    Coldplay
    U **** 2
    etc etc

BobaFatt
    Free Member

MrMo, generally music these days which becomes popular with the masses is marketed to death by bean counters. The music industry has been guilty if this for years, but if people are gullible enough to believe that they are making an informed decision by buying the latest Adele pile of nonsense then good luck to them, it’s being shoved down their throat at every opportunity possible until they find themselves humming it but don’t know why.

You can spraf on about art as much as you like, but art by its very nature is open to review as soon as its put out there. The likes of Dido, Adele, David Gray, Duffy, they were never pushing any boundaries of art or music in the sense that it is something to explore, they simply came out copying well established and succesful artists who came before them.

It’s, as the previous poster stated, dinner party music. It’s coffee table music at best, the kind of thing people leave lieing around when their couple friends are over in the hope that they all find each other ‘cool’ because they all have it and “oh, wasn’t she amazing on the Brits” discussions can ensuov

molgrips
    Free Member

if people are gullible enough to believe that they are making an informed decision by buying the latest Adele pile of nonsense then good luck to them

It’s not quite like that, I don’t think. People don’t ‘think they are making an informed decision’. People aren’t trying to impress or push themselves intellecually. They just buy what they like. Most of it’s word of mouth, I reckon. Maybe young kids who don’t know what they like are malleable, but I don’t think older people are.

It’s the majority’s tastes that are bland, conservative and predictable. Hence the music. Plenty of edgy stuff out there, they just don’t like it so don’t buy it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really.

I assuming that it would be OK to have one of your daughters punched in the face if her singing isn’t up to scratch in the nativity this year?

No? Didn’t f**** think so.

Matt
    No, I’d be happy to have any of my children punched if their singing wasn’t up to scratch. They’d well deserve it.

jota180
    Free Member

Most of it’s word of mouth, I reckon. Maybe young kids who don’t know what they like are malleable, but I don’t think older people are.

Not sure most of it’s word of mouth
    I tend to simply download stuff I’ve heard that I like, I don’t really care if they’re trendy or even especially talented, if it’s a decent tune I’ll give it a go for a while.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What the flip happened to Dido?’ is closed to new replies.