Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What the best bit of kit for hanging bike by its wheel in my garage?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Am arranging my man cave, bought a bunch of big blue hooks from Halfrauds and on hanging the first bike I’m not happy with how it spreads the load (or lack of spread) of the bikes weight on the wall.

eBay has a gazillion of those black ‘plate’ style hooks that the front tyre sits against, which should be better for keeping mud off my lovely freshly painted walls.

What I really want is a complete rack system that’s holds a total of at least 5 bikes. One set of fixings, natty looking, jobs’a’goodun.
    Anyone got anything perfect hanging theirs?

xcmuttley
    Free Member

If I was going to buy something to mount my bike on the wall I would get a clug http://www.getclug.com/
    Saw them at the cycle show last year and nearly bought some because I thought they were so good even though I had no use for it!

scotroutes

Big hooks work for me. What is you’re not happy about?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Clug – Well they’re pretty cool! Can I trust them though? My tiny brain shudders at the thought of my pride and joy slipping out during the night and crashing to the floor

Re hooks, it’s just a bit wobbly for my liking, no load spreading to left or right of fixing so am convinced repeated use will have it working loose

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Steadyrack, it’s pretty much the best out there

scotroutes

I’ve used hooks for years with no problem. Screwed into timber though. In my current garage, that meant fitting a large batten to the wall.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used hooks either direct drilled or fixed with masonry screws, rated to 25kg so no real issues. They did the job and made you make sure your brakes were bled

DezB
    Free Member

Clugs won’t hold the whole weight of a bike off the ground. 1 or 2 wheels need to be down. Good for bike washing.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

B&Q hooks screwed into mortar here with rawl plugs. Perfectly fine. You talk about the weight of a bike – well it is F-all really. A heavy bike is not much weight in the grand scheme of things. They’re holding up my wife’s cheap Trax Halfords lump of pig iron perfectly fine – though lifting it up onto the hook nearly puts my back out. Cheap hooks work fine – i’ve also got my lawn mower hung to the wall by them as well as my 20kg cycle rack. Not sure how you want to spread the load, or why. Are you talking about spreading the load into the wall, or into the rim of the wheel?

Northwind

B&Q hooks here too. Mine are no use for fatter tyres mind but fine for everything else. Mine have been up, in some pretty iffy old timber in our shonky garage, for years with no fuss.

cookeaa

I put an extra joist in between two already there supporting the roof, about a foot out from the wall and six hooks straight into it on ~6″ pitches…

If you don’t want the wheels on the wall just put a hanging joist a bit further out, hooks and timber are much cheaper than buying several of those wall plates…

rossburton
    Free Member

We’ve a few bikes hanging up on these:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBHHANG/bike-hand-wall-mounted-bike-hanger

I admit that I haven’t tried it with the 2.35″ tyre on my susser though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Steadyradks look the best-but-pricey option. They any good with 2.25–2.4″ tyres?

The ‘velo-hinge’ on wiggle also looks a good option for pivoting bike against the wall to maximise space

Candodavid
    Free Member

Scaffold pole with s hooks over the top hanging from roof timbers

TiRed

I hang everything from deep section carbon bling to a tandem from cheap rubber coated hooks in the joists or a piece of batten. I wrap an extra layer of inner tube over the hooks for good measure. No problems so far.

cp

I use Wickes bog standard hooks in the cellar. Even a heavy downhill bike is so far away from what sort of load these things can take.

Years of very regular use with no issues – screwed into timber.

Bez

I’ve used 25mm steel shower rail fixed to the ceiling joists, with steel hooks on those and then S-hooks hung on those for the bikes. Not quite perfect, since the S-hooks are a bit too free-swinging to be really easy to hook the wheels onto, but it’s not a big problem, and I couldn’t be bothered with bending some custom hooks. Very cheap compared to “proper” bike hooks if you have several bikes, though, and takes plenty of weight.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

my garage hooks (Halford) are not high up enough to suspend the bikes off the floor. The rear wheels are all on the floor so the weight of the bike is on the rear wheels, not on the wall.

The hook just holds the front wheel next to the wall. Tiny load for the wall and fixings to take.

Superficial
    Free Member

eBay has a gazillion of those black ‘plate’ style hooks that the front tyre sits against, which should be better for keeping mud off my lovely freshly painted walls.

Yeah that’s what I’ve got – 8 of them staggered high-low. Looks tidy but the bikes still take up a fair amount of space.

The best option would be to have a system like that with the ability to slide the bikes left-right and get them to ‘nest’ with each other. Then you could just rearrange them when you want to get one out. The problem is that to allow enough space to get each bike off a hook, you’re leaving a lot of air in between them the rest of the time.

Bez

The best option would be to have a system like that with the ability to slide the bikes left-right and get them to ‘nest’ with each other.

Shower rail FTW there 🙂

br
    Free Member

The best bit of kit is the right bit of kit.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-bike-wall-storage-hanger

I put these up a few years ago, they just work. Make sure you have them at a height that the back wheel also touches the ground.

scotroutes

I’ve recently started hanging the Pact B+ with a square shaped “ladder”? hook. That takes a 3″ Nobby Nic on a Scraper rim quite comfortably.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

b r – Member
    The best bit of kit is the right bit of kit.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-bike-wall-storage-hanger

I put these up a few years ago, they just work. Make sure you have them at a height that the back wheel also touches the ground.

Been using these myself. Discovered a series of marks on my front rim where the rubber has worn through the hanger and marked the rim. Most unhappy 🙁

Will be fitting some old inner tubes to it in a moment…

bramblesummer
    Free Member

The steady racks have a gap of 2.4″ for the tyre in the smallest spot. I’ve got a magic mary on a wide rim that blows out to 2.5″ that fits into the steady rack pretty snugly. You have to give it a little shove to get it in, but no issue really.

Most important thing is to mount them at the right height so you can wheel the bike in. Lots of videos about on installation. They;re a bit of a marvel once you’ve got one. We picked up ours at the NEC bike show, so got a pretty decent discount on the day.

slimjim78
    Free Member

yeah, have watched some vids of the steadyrack, they do look super practical with the wheel-in-and=pivot action.

Shames it would cost be north of £300 to fit the amount I need! Ouch.

Of course, now i’ve seen them in action – i’m convinced I need the features above..

Northwind

I can’t remember where it was I stayed, but the bike storage was a wooden rack much like a bunk bed. Bikes went underneath and hung by their saddles on a wooden rail that ran the length of it, and there was storage above and below the bikes- under-bed style drawers at the bottom and a flat top for boxes etc. Not all bikes fitted in it mind but it was an excellent use of space.

Tracey

We have seven hung on the Decathlon hooks at the back of the garage, will take big tyres on carbon rims

woody74

Saw these the other day on Kickstarter and thought the design was great. Simple but as the bars are held at an angle you can pack far more bikes into a space and no more issues with handle bars hitting each other or having to vary the heights of the hooks. Expensive but really like the design. I bet you could knock these out seriously cheap as they are just stamped and folded steel.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/998566428/lea-a-bike-rack-that-works-like-it-should?ref=category

I currently use hooks with a bit of hose pipe over them for protection but bars and saddles are always hitting each other and I would like a better solution for the new shed.

slimjim78
    Free Member

they are really nice!

curse my lack of patience!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice. Merlin had a really good deal on multi-purchase steadyracks, plus an extra 7.5% off at till for today only so I bit the bullet.

Crazy money but man, my man cave is going to be shweeet

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What the best bit of kit for hanging bike by its wheel in my garage?’ is closed to new replies.