Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What Tent? (again)
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Im after a smallish 2/3 man tent to do some light bikepacking/backpacking with, i have a campervan for my main duties so have no idea about tents. Hence why i need advice.

It needs to fit Me and the Mrs
    Be about 2kg
    Max price £150
    Space for the dog
    I have looked at various vangos etc but tbh have no idea what im looking for.

Over to you

peterfile
    Free Member

Will you mainly be pitching on grass rather than rock/mountain?

Mostly for fairer weather and not winter?

If so, you don’t need to worry about getting anything particularly technical/fancy, which will make hitting your weight and budget a lot easier.

Tunnel tents will probably offer the greatest volume to weight ratio. When you say you want “smallish”, I presume you mean pack size rather than wanting a lack of room for you, your wife and dog? In any event, at 2kg, you’re not going to be getting a castle!

Wild Country Hoolie is around that weight, size and budget.

Vango Banshee 300 is another option, although will come in a bit over your weight.

Ignore the stock STW response of a Zephyros 2, unless you and your wife are midgets and your dog is actually a gerbil.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Hopefully pitching on Grass – fellside
    Use just in summer maybe late spring definately fair weather!

tonyd

I’ve got an old Vango TBS 250 which has served me very well. It’s not massive but has two small porches for kit/dog and is big enough inside to sleep three good friends 🙂 Can’t remember the exact weight but it’s pretty light. I’ve used it on week long outings without issue.

Edit: Here’s mine, not sure what the current equivalent is.

peterfile
    Free Member

Vango Banshee 300 is quite like the Vango TBS 250.

I really like the Banshee tents. Worth looking at the 300 over the 200 if you’d prefer a wee bit of elbow room.

They are pretty sturdy and have the benefit of being able to be pitched as one.

Go outdoors are doing them for under £100 at the moment….

tonyd

Ah yes, the Banshee looks exactly the same so I’d definitely recommend that. I’d also recommend the 300 over the 200, my 250 was I think sold as a 3 man but is more like 2.5 at a push. If you want the option of the dog coming in with you rather than sleeping in a porch then the 300 would be a good bet.

They really are bombproof, my TBS withstood some pretty howling Patagonian winds without any issue whatsoever.

dantsw13

Have a look at decathlon tents. I have the HUGE family version, and it’s great.

shermer75
    Free Member

Three person tent, £149.00 in store, great pack size, 2.6kg.

Decathlon

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/tents-backpacking-tents/robens/robens-stratos-tent-pd-5873.php

I got one of these very light loads of room for two and a dog – Personally I dont think you can get 4 in it

Single skin though with all those problems re ventilation/condensation but light for the size.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What Tent? (again)’ is closed to new replies.