Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What temperature does mineral oil freeze at?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

So this is the first winter I have been riding with Shimano brakes (SLX to be precise). I’ve always had Hope until now and so have never had any issues in the darkest winter months. A week ago I was in the mountains playing in the fresh snow with the temperature at around -15 degs. Towards the end of the ride whenever I pulled on the brake the bite point was right at the beginning of the lever stroke and it felt wooden even though the brakes still stopped me. After putting the bike inside the lever was back to normal after an hour or so again as I like the bite point to be in the middle of the lever action. Is this caused by the oil starting to freeze? It happened a couple of times last week during cold night rides as well but at the weekend nothing as we have some milder weather again.

RoterStern
    Free Member

it’s lowest useful temperature is considered to be 10C (50F)

does that mean you can only use Shimano brakes in summer? 😮

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sweaman2
    Free Member

So I’m commuting in Canada; right now it’s about -18C. I tend to find issues below about -15C with the exact symptom you describe. In fact it’s got so bad occasionally that the brakes are half on the whole time. My first recommendation would be a re-bleed but I’m about to switch to avid cables for this very reason as it’s driving me nuts and a re-bleed didn’t help me much.

JoeG
    Free Member

Cold weather will affect any hydraulic brake; that’s why some of the riders in Alaska and such places prefer mechanical discs.

Low temperature not only affects the brake fluid, but the flexible seal on the caliper as well.

I rode my Sminano brakes last week at about 10F. So the 10C (50F) cited above is BS!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d have thought cables were worse? Water would get in and freeze.

I did wonder why shimano didnt get a mention when SRAM recalled the Red brakes at the end of last year, cold weather has always been their achiaellies heel.

JoeG
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I’d have thought cables were worse? Water would get in and freeze.

Those guys ride in conditions so far below freezing that liquid water isn’t an issue!

gwaelod
    Free Member

When I lived in morayshire my gear shifting used to go to pot below -8c as the cables contracted so much…when temps rose the shifting would go back to perfect. Never had a problem there with vbrakes dragging due to temperature contraction but it was before hydraulics were widespread.

seosamh77
    Free Member

10c? My brakes would be useless for about 75? of the year. I’d suggest someone’s googling skills need working on!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Don’t the oil manufactures put a temp range on the oil?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What temperature does mineral oil freeze at?’ is closed to new replies.