Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • what tabletesque type computery thingy to buy just for browsing the net..?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

I know jack all about i pads and nexus’s and kindle’s etc

but i fancy a tablet device just for browsing the net, what decent options are there?

my dad has just got a kindle fire which seems decent enough but screen size means having to constantly zoom in/out to read anything, the i pads have a better size screen but they seem quite expensive…is there a middle ground?

and any tips on which and where to buy?

cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

Go to a shop and have a look. They are all ok.

jam-bo

iPad wins for me. New apple store in drake circus to go and have a play.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Samsung.

tthew

Chromebook, as a left field suggestion.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ooh the apple store in town, i’d forgot about that, how much for an i pad and which one to get?

carlphillips
    Free Member

flashy, which samsung?
    and wil look at chromebook cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a Galaxy Tab (Ickle version) and my father has the full size version. Both are very impressive. Much better than my old Xoom.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Even for just browsing you will notice quality of screen, speed of processor, etc. Also weight of device in your hand varies hugely meaning there is probably no perfect device.

Having said all that I recommend ipad mini or Samsung note 8 as best all rounders. We have both in the house and argue about which is best…

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I got a nexus 7 and its good for the net/games. Gets updates first, easy to hold and handle. Was looking at a 10 inch, but too heavy, need two hands holding the device, which doesn’t work that well when trying to use. Currys are doing the nexus 7 for £189.99 with £20 voucher!

molgrips
    Free Member

iPads are quite a bit more expensive than the android ones, on the whole.

carlphillips
    Free Member

so kindle fire hd? any good?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, not bad.

carlphillips
    Free Member

seems cheap compared to the rest…

nexus looks good too.

ocrider

tthew – Member

Chromebook, as a left field suggestion.

Not a bad idea. Then there is the fence-sitting option of an Asus transformer.

Is it a tablet, is it a netbook? yes!

molgrips
    Free Member

Chromebook for sure if you want a keyboard on which to type, or want to stick it on your lap.

captain-slow
    Free Member

But nexus 7 has same screen size as kindle fire hd which op said was too small…

Not sure of maths, but 8 inch screen gives loads more surface area

Cletus

I quite fancy the Samsung Note 8 but it is very expensive next to the iPad Mini – especially the 3G version.

captain-slow
    Free Member

I am just about to sell kindle fire hd having got Samsung note 8. Great if you want to buy all your media from amazon and screen is best of all tablets, but I don’t rate the overall experience.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Cletus, you are right about the price, but ultimately it is about which ecosystem you want to use for all your devices

dannybgoode

Blackberry Playbook – £129 from PC World. 64gb storage, good browser and build quality up there with the rest of them.

Nice size to hold in the hand also.

Cheers

Danny B

captain-slow
    Free Member

Blackberry play book is a 7 inch screen – he said he wanted bigger than that

Ewan
    Free Member

Sprawled on the sofa with my nexus 10 as I type…. Very good!

Cougar

I’ll be selling an iPad 2 shortly if you’re happy with second hand.

stumpyjon

Stay away from Apple, very good but very expensive. Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 here, I like the 10″ screen, wouldn’t want to go smaller for browsing. About £240, 16Gb but also takes SD cards so mines 48Gb at the moment. Don’t bother with 3G, most places I use mine now have WiFi. Android is the most popular OS at the moment, so generally more apps.

carlphillips
    Free Member

galaxy tab 2 10.1 looks favourite so far..

crazy-legs

nexus looks good too.

Rumour is that Google will launch a new Nexus in the next 2-3 months so maybe you could find some of the older ones slightly discounted?

My Mum has a Nexus, she really likes it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have an Ipad, my son has a galaxy tab and I’ve just bought a Asus 7 inch tab for my youngest. Based on product development speeds and the fact that today’s top of the range tab is tomorrows shelfware I’d get the Asus because it’s cheap.

However there is no doubting that the ipad has the best screen (mainly as it’s bigger) fastest responses and is easiest to use but it’s almost 4 times the price.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m currently typing this on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, I’ve had it for a year or so and I’ve been very pleased with it. The Tab 2 appears to be a lower price and spec. My Tab was the same price as an iPad when I bought it.
    My daughter has a Galaxy Note 10.1 and that would be my current choice.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Android is the most popular OS at the moment, so generally more apps.

More apps on android? Is that true? ❓

Northwind

Is it to be as well as a proper computer? Tablets are great as far as they go but it’s the only application I can think of where people are convinced a smaller screen’s the way forward. I’d not buy one for general use any more than I’d buy a 14 inch monitor for my PC or a 20 inch TV for the living room.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wiring only us a lot easier if you have access to bt hotspots. Ironically I get free access to them with my Orange mobile broadband. Pretty shrewd bit of planning by Orange there!

jonnyrockymountain

Just bought a lenovo a2109 £169 from pc world very impressed 9″ screen

carlphillips
    Free Member

the lenovo looks ok.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘what tabletesque type computery thingy to buy just for browsing the net..?’ is closed to new replies.