Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What super-ventilated XC/road helmet with a visor?
  • Burts
    Free Member

I already have a Giro Xen for trail riding, but my brain is boiling when I also use it for summer XC & road rides so I’d like something with much better ventilation. I’ve been looking at road helmets but I do find a visor really useful.

Any suggestions for a cool (literally) helmet with a visor?

spicypedro
    Free Member

I use a Catlike Kompact’o on road and off. Removable visor. Super venty.

crikey
    Free Member

I would call this a visor, I think you might mean a peak?

onewheelgood

Specialized S3

and I know there is no visor in the pic, but you do get one – it is easily attachable/removable.

parkesie
    Free Member

The spesh helmets are worth a punt i use mine for road and xc duties often leave the peak on for both.

djc1245
    Free Member

Mavic Espoir. Removable visor for road or XC

atlaz
    Free Member

why do you need a peak?

GrahamS

I was going to say Spesh S3 too.

Light and well vented – I got one recently and found it gave me a cold head!

kiwijohn

Bell Volt.
    I’m on my second.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Using a bell sweep here, visor off for road, back on for mtb……

tinybits
    Free Member

Bell sweep +1

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh Prevail.

jonathan
    Free Member

Another Spec S3* vote here – got one for road use in their recent helmet amnesty offer and it’s wonderfully cool. I actually traded in my last really well vented helmet for it – an ancient S1 that had been sitting gathering dust for years 🙂

* I’d have gone for the Prevail if the shop had had any in 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

Peak on a road helmet? Oh the shame.. 😉

GrahamS

I’d have gone for the Prevail if the shop had had any in

I compared the Prevail to the S3 in the shop – the differences were really pretty marginal for the extra cost.

(Think it is something like 15 grams lighter than the already-very-light S3)

Comparative review: http://www.theactivetimes.com/head-games-tale-two-helmets

lune
    Free Member

+1 for S3 looked at Prevail too and same as GrahamS, wasn’t worth the extra for me.

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair I’ve got two 2Ds and a Prevail, and find the 2Ds more comfy. IIRC the S3 is very similar, just does away with the dual density foam.

michaelbowden

Recently got an S3 to replace my aging S2. Great helment.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

My MET Valeno has always been super airy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My 2p, peaks are useless, they look ‘Moto’, but MXers have them to deflect flying rocks from the guy in front’s wheel. Rode without one for ages, got a new lid with a peak and realised how much I look through that area whilst cornering.

jonathan
    Free Member

Interesting reading. It was only a 25 quid difference on the deal I had (S3 was £60 and the Prevail was £85), but looks like that was 25 quid well saved 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Have a look at UVEX. I have one with a removable peak and it is the coolest helmet I’ve ever worn. The fit system keeps your forehead off the helmet. I’ll buy again.

Burts
    Free Member

why do you need a peak?

Keeping as much rain & sun out of my eyes as possible, I prefer not to wear glasses all the time. On my Xen, the peak is high enough that its not blocking my view of the trail. I understand the shame of having a peak on the road, but then I’m already riding a flat-bar hybrid so there’s little hope of salvation. 🙂

Sounds like the S3 is the front-runner. I think they’re fairly expensive here in Vancouver ($160 = 100GBP+) but I’ll take a closer look. Thanks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ll vote for the S3 too, don’t bother with the visor though

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Yet another +1 for the Specialized S3.

It is superb, excellent ventilation, light & comfy 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What super-ventilated XC/road helmet with a visor?’ is closed to new replies.