Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • What summer/Sunday road bike?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Carbon (might do another material), disc, bit sporty, 1500 ish, happy to do last year’s model……

fatoldgit

Take a look at Spa Cycles sabbath aspire

Titanium,
    105 triple or double ( I asked in shop )
    £1090

Has to be worth a look, although it’s not disc

simondbarnes

Aspire hasn’t got discs

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

British summer?

Something that tales full mudguards. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mmmmm interesting. Bargain for somebody there, was thinkin more on the lines of a giant TCR or cube agree (if it wasn’t called ‘agree’ which is a super crap name)

djglover
    Free Member

The TCR is a great bike, once you have changed the stock alloy wheels. I hated mine at first, but now its running 25c tubeless semi deep carbon wheels its a dream to ride. Been up fleet moss on mine this month with rim brakes. Its racey rather than sporty though. My old back has taken some adjusting after moving from the winter bike.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Looking favourite so far, wheel’s are a bit naff though? PR2 s on the model I’m looking at

onandon
    Free Member

Shocker – bike rides better with decent wheels rather than alloy boat anchors.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Canyon and Rose have some great bikes if you fancy a punt at buying direct
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/endurace-al-disc-7-0.html
    I have a Rose GF team which is fantastic. Not disc though.

chakaping
    Free Member

On that budget I’d go for rim brakes on a summer bike, to get a better groupset and wheels.

juanghia
    Free Member

Summer bike – Discs – Why?

Road discs are only in V1.1. Personally I’d ignore the hype and buy rim brakes, they’re lighter, better and you get more groupset for your limited budget.

(I’d spend my money with Wilier something like the GTR Team)

IHN

Summer bike – Discs – Why?

+1 (and I am a disc convert for winter/commuting/touring)

In a traditional STW, not what you asked for but it’s what I’ve got and I love it, stylee:

Ritchey Road Logic, shop around and you can get Ultegra group and decent wheels for £1500ish.

Lovely, lovely, lovely bike.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

carbon for light weight, but then stick a kilo of discs and related re-engineering on it, and ride it as a summer bike where there is no benefit from discs as opposed to rim brakes?

I’m not anti-disc, I own road bikes with both, but for your budget they are adding cost and weight with no real benefit IMHO. You’ll get a nicer, lighter bike for the same money without discs (what chapaking said more succinctly).

Courtesy of Clare’s bike bargains on twitter this is hysterically good VFM

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cycle/forme-thorpe-compe-1-0-athena-carbon-road-bike-for45-1.html

(2013 old stock but 11 speed so current tech). You could spend the £600 saved on some carbon deep sections (Cosine from Wiggle) and have a lot of sunny sunday pimpy fun.

If you want Ti, the above link to Spa Cycles is worth a look. They have bought out Sabbath and have a large range, including discs.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nothing fun fits your spec and budget, they’ll all just be commuting wagons.

Off the peg new and rrp I would go for a Trek ALR but if youve got cash there will be reduced bargains knocking about.
    Forget disc’s.

mogrim

I’ve just ordered a new Canyon, a bit above your budget though – but from my time investigating I’ll echo what everyone else has said, you won’t get discs at that price.

Although I finally went with Canyon I was also thinking about Decathlon, my current bike is a BTwin and it’s done me proud over many years. This one looks great value with a full 105 groupset and Mavic wheels: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-cf-carbon-road-bike-105-id_8339667.html

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Discs why? Cos I don’t like wearing through my rims and just don’t like the feel of rims in the wet, cos as CFH pointed out it will get the odd soaking.

Happy with 105 from a group POV.

TCR still winning, leave the wheels on for 12 months and get some shiny ones next year. Sounds like a plan.

wilburt
    Free Member

If you have to ask on here about which bike to buy you dont know enough understand the pro’s and con’s or rim and disc brakes.

Take the advice thats given to you by those who do.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I didn’t have to ask, I wondered if people had any recommendations. Cheers for the sanctimonious condescension though, I’ll file you under “ignore”

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cos I don’t like wearing through my rims

so you ride enough to wear out road rims in a short timescale, even just in the summer? And why does wearing them out bother you when with the TCR you plan to

leave the wheels on for 12 months and get some shiny ones next year

I’ve just sold some 5yr old (summer bike use) Ultegra wheels. If I’d cleaned the brake tracks with alcohol they could have passed as new, with no measurable wear to the rim surfaces.

(edit) If you are set on discs then last years Cubes at Rutland or Pauls cycles are really good value spec-wise (carbon, hydro disc, 105 for your budget). They also have claimed weights closer to 9.0kg, whereas that money will get you a non-disc in the 7.somethings.

mcj78
    Free Member

I love the discs on my commuter but i’d echo the above re. discs on a summer “nice” bike, at that price you’d want hydraulics which, whilst not unattainable, will eat up a fair chunk of the budget – you’ll be able to pick up a cracking (non-disc) bargain for £1500 if you shop around.

There’s also a bit of a lack of reasonably priced, light-ish disc wheels to upgrade to at a later date if you do go the disc route, mate of mine has just bought a set of disc Zondas (£450) for his fancy arse carbon Di2 Cannondale but they’re still a couple of hundred grams heavier than the non-disc ones that I have on my “nice day” road bike… speaking of Cannondale – the CAAD12 disc at £1600 is around 20lbs & gets good reviews if you’re not adverse to aluminum.

But then I own 3 steel road bikes so am by definition some kind of pervert. 😆

juanghia
    Free Member

Cos I don’t like wearing through my rims

Maybe you need to brake less?

Carbon fibre rims still going strong in their second year with no discernible wear or degradation whatsoever.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Been riding fulcrum quattro’s for the last two years they’re ready for replacing, live in the lakes so may be a bit harder on rims up here than where you live? steeper, wetter, grittier, perhaps?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Been riding fulcrum quattro’s for the last two years they’re ready for replacing

😯

is that all-year-round or are Lakes summers really that bad?! If that’s your rim life then yeah, I can see why you’d be going disc but our Quattros have lasted longer than that on a winter bike that gets fitted with knobblies and used as a CX pit bike (power washing has taken the stickers off though!). Definitely a case of YMMV, I’ve happily gone full-carbon on my summer bike and, like my old alloy Ultegras, they still look brand new.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Stabiliser, I am up in the lakes too, a bike mad mate of mine is selling 2 bikes. One is his winter Kinesis
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kinesis-4s-full-bike-medium
    He is also selling his “good” bike ( but he wants 2.5k for that one)
    As mentioned above the Cube ticks a lot of your boxes. Cycleactive in Cockermouth had one in stock reduced. Maybe worth a call there.

juanghia
    Free Member

Been riding fulcrum quattro’s for the last two years they’re ready for replacing, live in the lakes so may be a bit harder on rims up here than where you live? steeper, wetter, grittier, perhaps?

Dartmoor and the South Devon Coast so pretty similar but I do weigh about under and around 70kg

djglover
    Free Member

Im also in the no discs on the summer bike camp and for 2 reasons

1: Weight, 700g on system weight unless you are getting Dura Ace
    2: You cant race them in road races under BC rules

When the BC allow them, and the current Dura Ace level of tech trickles down to Ultegra, adding 340g system weight, then I would consider them

TiRed

As above, you want a summer bike, you want it to be light (why else would you want carbon?). Ultegra dual pivot brakes are superb stoppers, if you are a fair weather rider, they will provide all the power you want. Even if you aren’t they will still do the same!

Do you want fast for zipping along those lanes, speed first? Comfort first? What riding do you do now. It is better to buy something that will cover most of what you do now but have the option for more, rather than pick a bike for what you might think you want to ride.

The Giant TCR is a fantastic bike, provided you buy the correct size. A real do it all 100-mile-all-day-comfortable, race-it-when-you-want-to bike. Highly recommended and always excellent value. You want the Advanced Pro as a minimum, preferably with Ultegra.

I’d save discs for the winter, heavy, mudguard laden wet weather beast. That bike you’ll take out when it looks miserable, and every ride on the nice bike will reward with a smile. There is a FOUR kilo difference between my winter (non-disc) bike and my nice bike. You notice that difference every time you ride it. It’s not hugely faster, just nicer.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe demo the kind of bike you’re thinking of, to see if you feel the extra weight is worth having discs at that level? Are Wheelbase doing a road bike demo day this year?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

save discs for the winter, heavy, mudguard laden wet weather beast. That bike you’ll take out when it looks miserable

Got one of them. Charge plug, riding a forum member would be luxury compared to that

iainc

on the disc/non disc front, I changed last year from a 2012 Defy Composite 1, with full Ultegra and rim brakes to a new Defy Advanced Pro 2, slight stiffer carbon, full Ultegra and discs. I definitely noticed it a little heavier, though main difference was stiffer front end. After first 10 mins it felt totally ‘normal’. It is my ‘good/summer’ bike, even has white tape 🙂 I do like the discs though, probably as all my other bikes have discs to though I guess. In the dry they are no better than the old Ultegra rim ones.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

2016 Kona shithouse looks nice, too. But that would be HEAVY (and the wheels are pants)

dragon
    Free Member

I’m also in the CF with calipers for a summer bike camp. So for £1500 you’d probably be getting a CF frame & forks, and 105. Chuck a extra £200-300 at the price and you’ll get an Ultegra upgrade.

If you want to let your heart rule your head then get a this:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nothing fun fits your spec and budget, they’ll all just be commuting wagons.

A bit harsh, with careful spending £1500 could get you under the UCI weight limit!

If you have to ask on here about which bike to buy you dont know enough understand the pro’s and con’s or rim and disc brakes.

Equally harsh, he knows the advantages of disk brakes, that appears to be why he want’s them!

I’m ambivalent about them for summer road use, but I live in the Chilterns not the Lake District and don’t have a problem treating rims as consumables.

onewheelgood

is confused. TCR doesn’t have discs. Defy has discs.

edit: ah, but the TCR Disc has discs. Sorry. As you were.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Weight, 700g on system weight unless you are getting Dura Ace

the groupset is only half the problem. Manufacturers are still at the stage of overbuilding frames and forks to deal with the different and extra stresses of discs rather than rim brakes, combined with heavier wheels for the same reasons (they’re getting better but they’re at the opposite end of the development curve) and you’re doubling that increase in some cases.

A bit harsh, with careful spending £1500 could get you under the UCI weight limit!

with discs? Go on then (genuinely interested, not being an internet warrior).

juanghia
    Free Member

I’m intrigued…

zilog6128

I would (and did!) go with whatever last-year Cannondale Paul’s are knocking out for a decent price (which would be a Supersix with OP’s budget). No discs, but I would add my name to those who can’t see the point for a summer bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

with discs? Go on then (genuinely interested, not being an internet warrior).

Without disks, but it should be fairly doable with any decent alloy framed bike at Pauls or similarly discounted, then just swap the easy wins.

OEM wheelsets to Novotec hubs, Stans alpha rims and Ti QR’s saved me about 750g for £250

OEM tyres and tubes for schwalble Ultremo + latex tubes Another 250g saved for £50

Then it’s just a mix of silly stuff and marginal gains, you can get a carbon saddle for £20 off ebay for a proper weight weenie budget build. But even a mid priced aftermatket saddle will be lighter than the OEM one because like wheels and tyres they’re speced right down because manufacturers know those that are serious about bikes will have their own to fit, or at least a preference.

Over time I think my road bike’s cost me £800 (started with a secondhand full bike) and just upgraded to the lightest/cheapest bits I could find as and when stuff wore out (so i’ve not even recouped the value of the old bits in that figure) and it’s now a new fork (still has an alloy steerer) away from being underweight.

fifeandy
    Free Member

but it should be fairly doable with any decent alloy framed bike

Please go ahead and show this on some calibrated scales.
    I have a hat ready for eating.

As regards the thread in general, another +1 for rim brakes on a summer only bike.
    My Ksyriums have got ~8k miles on them including a fair few wet days in the Dolomites/Alps and not worn out yet, so would question if rim wear is really a thing on a summer bike.

The best reason for discs on a summer bike would really be that they usually give a bit more clearance for some trendy fatter tyres, and with the UK’s roads falling apart they do make the ride more enjoyable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What summer/Sunday road bike?’ is closed to new replies.