Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What subwoofer for a Denon mini stereo?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

We have just revived our Denon UD-M31 stereo with SCM51 speakers.

The back of the stereo has a “subwoofer pre out”, the manual describes this as “PRE OUT terminal (SUB WOOFER). Connector jack for subwoofer with built in amplifier (super woofer), etc”.

Clearly I know nowt about these things, but if I have it right, Google is telling me I have need a passive subwoofer.

The connection on the back of the unit is a coaxial type connection (i think) and the Denon subwoofers I have seen on eBay have regular speaker connections, so I’m guessing are not compatible unless I get some kind of adapter?

Did Denon make a specific subwoofer compatible with our stereo?
    Any recommendations what would work with it?

I’m looking for a smaller sized subwoofer to be tucked away on the floor in the kitchen.

Cheers audio geeks.

stumpy01

No, if it’s a pre-out that is the signal only. So any sub you look at will require it’s own amplification, I think.

There are heaps of compact powered subs out there to choose from; depends how much you want to spend, but something from KEF or REL would probably be a good bet.

CountZero

Clearly I know nowt about these things, but if I have it right, Google is telling me I have need a passive subwoofer.

No. As stumpy says, you need an active, self-powered sub.

slowoldman

No. You need an active (built in power amp) not passive.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yup you need a powered sub, most are anyway. Second hand subs are pretty cheap. AVForums is a good place to look for sh gear/research. If it’s just music you’re interested in no need to worry about 18″ monsters, look for a 10 to 12 inch good suggestions above, Richer have a good range of inexpensive subs.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What’s your budget ?

You a somewhat decent subwoofer in that it has to have a sharp(ish) cutoff in its higher frequency response, ideally no higher than 100Hz, otherwise you can hear where it is.

These guys do good cheapish ones :

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

I have an old Audio Pro B1-45 you can have for free if you can pick it up from Horsell in Surrey, but it isn’t one of the really small ones (although you need to spend more the smaller they are really as they are fighting the laws of physics…)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My parents have that system, or at least a very similar one. A sub woofer would be complete over kill. There’s did come with Mission speakers though. Have you got the speakers placed very wrong?

qwerty
    Free Member

Ha, we have the Mission speakers wat iz well wikkid, love the sound, but was thinking a bit extra thud would be nice. In all honesty my budget is an eBay bargain!

stumpy01

FunkyDunc – Member
    My parents have that system, or at least a very similar one. A sub woofer would be complete over kill. There’s did come with Mission speakers though. Have you got the speakers placed very wrong?

How so? Surely this depends on all manner of things like size of the room, size of the speakers that it’s being used with, music tastes etc.

Subs that are set-up properly tend to blend in seamlessly and just add more bottom end that smaller speakers generally can’t deliver.
    Plenty of times I’ve heard music on systems with speakers that weren’t actually producing the deep bass notes present in the recording. Stick the same music through my half decent floor standers and there’s bass stuff there that you wouldn’t even be aware existed if you only ever heard it through speakers that couldn’t go that low (or only listened through some ipod headphones).
    And there’s probably plenty of notes that my floor standers either aren’t reaching or aren’t playing at their intended output that a decent REL would put right.

Subs aren’t all about bang, crash, wallop.

qwerty
    Free Member

Had my eyes opened to pukka audio by the Bose sound system in an Audi we used to own, I’d listen to well known tracks in that car and hear new sounds and depth that I’d never heard before. Didn’t need to be at volume either. The Berlingo stereo however is another story…..

michaelbowden

Turnerguy

If qwerty isn’t interested in the sub, I may well be. Happy to offer something for it.

Cheers

Mike

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Michael – I got the Audio Pro sub from an older gentleman I bought some LS3/5as from.

A shop named Thomas Heinitz in London used to sell loads of that combination with a little Denon lifestyle amp as it worked so well. I read an article in Sound-On-Sound when I was at the BBC about how its clever ACE-Bass system worked.

I assume that it is working as I have never actually tried it – if I want a sub I switch on one of my M&K MX70a subs.

It has a DIN plug on it for connection and I haven’t really investigated it further. I think it has the opposite DIN plug and some wiring from when he used it – I will have a look when I get home and check and maybe see if I can fire it up!

I doubt that qwerty will want it (shout if you do…) so you are welcome to it if you can pick it up.

Here’s a trouble shooting doc I have just googled :

http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Schemi/Audio%20Pro%20-%20Subwoofer%20attivo%20con%20Ace-Bass%20B1-45.pdf

qwerty
    Free Member

TG – thanks for the generous offer, but i’m not local, MB – be my guest.

michaelbowden

TG

My email is in my profile if you have a chance to check for the cable and it’s operation. I assume from that doc it’s line level input rather than speaker.

Thanks

Mike

renton
    Free Member

Bose stuff sounds crap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What subwoofer for a Denon mini stereo?’ is closed to new replies.