Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What sub 350g XC rim for c0cking up 6ft drops
  • FraserHughes
    Free Member

Would have survived if landed correctly, rather than coming up short 🙄

Fife-20121110-00154 by wintericemonkey, on Flickr

AM don’t sell individual rims so suggestions for a suitable replacement appreciated.

Must be white!!

Thanks.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d start with finding out the ERD of the AM rim, then finding what rims have same or very similar and go from there.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

350g?

Dont you mean 450g?

The stans 455 is a 455gram rim and thats one of the lighter one. I think the crest basically is the lightest rim at 440grams or something.

jimjam
    Free Member

As close as you’re gonna get.

Please case some landings and let me know how you get on.

footflaps

I think the crest basically is the lightest rim at 440grams or something.

Nope, Stans Podium MMX rims are sub 290g

glenh
    Free Member

How do you come up short on a drop? Did you land on something in mid air?

AlexSimon

scu98rkr – Member
    Dont you mean 450g?

The stans 455 is a 455gram rim and thats one of the lighter one. I think the crest basically is the lightest rim at 440grams or something.

I think you’ve got mixed up somewhere:

ZTR Crest 26″ – 32 Hole Black
    Size 26″ x 24.4mm
    Color Black
    Hole # 32
    Brakes Disc
    Weight 340g
    ISO 559 x 21
    ERD 541
    Tape Width 21 or 25mm

Edit: The white ones are 30g heavier 🙂

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Nope, Stans Podium MMX rims are sub 290g

But you’re not gonna want to ride too many 6′ drops on them!

D0NK

got a crest on the back of my hardtail, seems to be lasting OK and I’m normally quite abusive to back wheels, I use something a bit sturdier on full sus tho.

E13 how much? Scandium, hmm, so is that gonna be bombproof (for 372g) or is it just overpriced?

njee20
    Free Member

I sense the OP was being ironic and doesn’t actually expect any sub-350g rim to put up with bad landings on 6ft drops!

The 455 doesn’t exist… Stan’s did the ZTR 355, which was 355 grams and was replaced by the slightly lighter Crest, there’s the Alpine (replacing the Olympic) at c320g, and as said the Podium MMX, IIRC mine are 283g and 285g, seem plenty strong enough. Done 3 foot + drops on them, not 6 admittedly! They are a race wheel though.

AM don’t sell individual rims so suggestions for a suitable replacement appreciated.

Have you actually asked them? Just because they don’t sell after market doesn’t mean they won’t repair, in their interest to have one of their rims after all!

If not I’d get a white Crest or Alpine though.

On the uber lightweight Innolite do <250g clincher rims. Meant to be rather fragile!

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Have you actually asked them? Just because they don’t sell after market doesn’t mean they won’t repair, in their interest to have one of their rims after all!

They seem pretty clear about it, they only build/repair them themselves which involves send them to the USA:

http://www.amclassic.com/en/faq.php

Why doesn’t American Classic sell individual rims?

We are often asked this question. Our rims are lightweight and can be difficult to build. We handle all wheel rebuilds in-house because our experienced wheel builders maintain our quality standards. Sorry, we do not make exceptions to this rule.

I crashed my wheel and damaged my rim. Does American Classic offer a Wheel Rebuild Program?

American Classic offers service provided by our highly qualified Technical Staff and Wheel Builders. Services include wheel rebuilds, hub maintenance, hub cassette body and bearing changes, and general repairs. 90 day guarantee on all work. Call our sales department for price estimates on parts and service work. Our sales team will take your order and issue a return authorization (RA) number. American Classic does not sell individual rims.

Crests seem the sensible option tbh.

Northwind
    scu98rkr
    Free Member

yes ur right im confused

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve raced DH with Stans Alpine rims on Chris Bling hubs, 32 DT Supercomp spokes per wheel 3-cross lacing.
    The rims are 300-odd grams, entire wheelset 1,400ish.
    I am 10st2 though…
    [EDIT] Mine ar eblack, not sure if they do white? Stop being a tart and get one.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

My experience with podium MMX rims is rather good. I’ve put them through quite a bit, plenty of drops and smaller jumps and events that push all kit to the limit and they have been ace. Big thumbs up from me.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Weight you ask? Bin the rotor they weight a ton and as for the gloves………

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF I imagine many rims would have failed in that manner in these circumstances.

nosedive
    Free Member

“Edit: The white ones are 30g heavier”

just brilliant. Amazes me that people pay hundreds of pounds for a lightweight set of wheels but gladly accept a weight penalty so that the rims can be white

fathomer

nosedive – Member
    “Edit: The white ones are 30g heavier”

just brilliant. Amazes me that people pay hundreds of pounds for a lightweight set of wheels but gladly accept a weight penalty so that the rims can be whiteAnd usually look naff, in my opinion of course!

AlexSimon

Agreed – it’s a numpty tax 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just brilliant. Amazes me that people pay hundreds of pounds for a lightweight set of wheels but gladly accept a weight penalty so that the rims can be white

Amazes me people care enough about weight to spend tens of pounds on a rim then get it in a boring colour. 30g, forget taking a dump, a haircut would shed that weight, let alone the peak of most peoples helmets!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

This one still confuses me. How does taking a dump make your bike lighter?

slowrider
    Free Member

gravity-slave – Member
    This one still confuses me. How does taking a dump make your bike lighter?

POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

its your bike that takes the dump stupid!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

How do you come up short on a drop? Did you land on something in mid air?

😆

neilforrow

BOR / FRM 388 rims are 388g in weight, and they are eyeleted with off-set spokes.

Strongest rim by a long way for the weight.

andyrm
    Free Member

WTB i19 is the one. Light and mega strong, its the rim they use on the Stryker wheelset. Good enough for a savage like Mark Weir to race enduro on. That’s all the recommendation you need……

Rorschach
    Free Member

American classic do have an after market rim.the 101 at 329g (for black).

New 101-Series rims are their first standalone rim offered to anyone to build up with whatever hub and spokes you want.

Weights are a very respectable 329g (26?) – 357g (650B) – 381g (29er)

All three share the same extrusion, which uses thicker walls than their higher end rims on their wheelsets. This was done to make them “less finicky” for shop folks to build up. That said, they’re still really light. Some of that lightness comes from using about a 5mm shallower height that what you find on their XC and AM wheels. They’re 18mm tall and 21mm/25mm wide (inside/outside). That’s narrower than their wheelset rims, too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What sub 350g XC rim for c0cking up 6ft drops’ is closed to new replies.