Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What sub-300 quid 29er Sus fork?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

I figure I can get a Reba SL Dual air from Jenson USA that works out at about 280 quid all in but would be a pain if I had to send them back?

Google is not my friend on this one, as I havnt found a better deal. Suntour Epicons have a few whispers but I am not sure about the brand (I know, I know)

What are your thoughts, STWers?

keavo
    Free Member

120mm minutes are £250 at crc now. maybe too long?

Dancake
    Free Member

Probably. There are going on a Scandal. I will probably go for 80s tbh. Dont have to be 9mm qr but it would help if I dont have to change my hub…

warpcow
    Free Member

A friend has RST air ones on his Diamondback. They've behaved well for the last 6 months. I've seen them around for about that price. Can't remember where though, sorry. I think there was a thread about them on here a while ago, or it might have been the Suntours.

MrTall
    Free Member

On One have 29er Toras at £180. Or did last time i looked….

I have the Epicons and have been happy with them so far although they are not finished as well as my Reba's (no shock there as they were £180).

How do you figure you'll only pay Jenson £280 – have you got a way to get around customs charging?

Some new 2011 Reba's due in at CRC but around the £400 mark.

Budget is either the Epicons or Manitou at the moment unless you can get lucky in the classifieds or on Ebay.

drofluf
    Free Member

Just tried to buy the Rebas from Jenson myself but no stock 🙁

Unless someone knows better!

Dancake
    Free Member

Recon golds are going to available from CRC from 9th sep. They come in at <4 lb and are £315. Worth a punt.

NB Thanks for the heads up on Import tax from Jensen! Figure 419 dollars (+vat/ import ) plus $30 delivery would come to about £350 Still good for Reba Sls though (if they were in stock)

Edit. Made my mind up. As soon as my 456 sells I am getting some recons (if they are in stock anywhere (free flow bikes have them on their site, but it is unclear if these are in stock. Ill get my email out. Wish me luck 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

Is a rough Rockshox hierarchy: Reba, Recon, Tora, Dart? Or is it more complicated so that some Toras may be better than some Recons for example?

Clink

NB Thanks for the heads up on Import tax from Jensen! Figure 419 dollars (+vat/ import ) plus $30 delivery would come to about £350 Still good for Reba Sls though (if they were in stock)

Don't forget ParcelForce handling fee…

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have had 2 rockshox 29er forks of this guy on ebay in the US i got him to put £30 on the box so no customs & got both sets in 3/4 days http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-RockShox-Recon-Gold-Solo-Air-29er-100mm-black-NEW-/150476380420?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

Dancake
    Free Member

Don't forget ParcelForce handling fee..

ARSE!

I have had 2 rockshox 29er forks of this guy on ebay in the US i got him to put £30 on the box so no customs & got both sets in 3/4 days http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-RockShox-Recon-Gold-Solo-Air-29er-100mm-black-NEW-/150476380420?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories

I considered this. Trouble is you wont get any money from insurance if they are lost or damaged?

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Yeh you never know its a risk i had a reba SL 29er & a reba XX 29er both came fine.

Dancake
    Free Member

Good review. I would have to buy a new front hub though…

drofluf
    Free Member

MrTall – Member
    On One have 29er Toras at £180. Or did last time i looked….

Good call thanks! They now have one less set in stock 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

did you get my email re the fox f29's?

cheers

drofluf
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

Was that to me? If so no???

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no dancake,

i have some fox f29's for sale, no reply to my email though

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member
    Dancake
    Free Member

cheers

sorry I didnt. Just checked my Junk email and it was there 😳

I am sorted now thank you. I went for Manitou Drakes with The Absolute+ Damper in the end (also ordered a remote lockout kit). Plus points are they are in stock , 9mm qr and Cheap enough (and 1900g which isnt a disaster). Minus points are that the web isnt awash with reviews so Ill have to find out for myself.

Clink

dirtyrider – I might be interested – ygm.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

replied to all interested

firestarter
    Free Member

Where did you get the Drakes out of interest

Dancake
    Free Member

CRC. 80mm out of stock so I took a punt at 100mm here

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers mate

collie
    Free Member

Looking forward to a review of the Drakes Dancake, hope they cut the mustard – could well be tempted by some myself.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ok. I have go the "order complete" bumph from CRC so they should be here Friday (Parcelfarce 48)

Ill let you know how I get on

tazzymtb

they are meant to be an ok budget fork, but a wee bit flexy if you are a big unit.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2009-forks/manitou/drake-29-super-absolute/PRD_426612_6513crx.aspx

Dancake
    Free Member

they are meant to be an ok budget fork, but a wee bit flexy if you are a big unit.

I read that. quote

weaknesses : "cheap. Sticky. Flexy. Struggles with multiple hits" (1 star)

and the next one down

" i am a 270 lb rider, this is the first fork that i have felt no flex in"

bottom line "best fork I have ever owned" (5 stars)

With only 5 reviews on this one, i thought I would take a punt and add my own. Wish me luck 🙂

keavo
    Free Member

nearly bought some drakes myself but got the 120mm minutes for the same price, to go on a salsa big mama. i doubt they will be flexy, i've had 26er 130mm minutes and they were very stiff for a light long travel fork. i've just fitted the 29er's, not really tested them off road yet but they look and feel like a quality fork.

feet
    Free Member

the-milkybar-kid…

Does he mean what I think he does by:
    "serial number had to removed"

Dancake
    Free Member

Well they are here.

Initial impressions.heavy with a sturdy feel and no defects. Similar to my Marzocci AM2s.

I bought the reomte lockout lever/ damper cartridge in the end (30 odd quid new) . The damper replaces the Platform cartridge supplied with the unit. (The platform has 7 positions, the lockout on or off.I could have used the Platform cartridge with the lever, but I you only get 1/2 travel with the lever meaning you would have had to sacrifice one extreme or the other.

Not too bothered. never bothered with the PP setting on my rear shock when I had it..

Once on the bike, I set sag at about 23mm at about 30 psi. Played around in the street and you could feel obvious bottoming out when going nuts. I have never felt this before so much; my fox F140 could be set really saggy but you would never feel the sharp stop of the end stops.

I have upped the air to 38 psi ish which gives a firmer feel, but stops the bottoming out. (at least outside) It may be a warning that I will have to play with the oil level later on.

The forks feel less flexy than my foxes and quite stable when braking. (I am 95kg)

pics. Ill get it out on the mud next week and see how it does. The "ride up a kerb" test is really encouraging..feels like there is loads of travel there….satisfying slurp from the rebound circuit too.

quick review as I am getting earache for not helping with dancake jnrs bath.. 🙂

The rebound adjuster is quite effective, even though it has less than 1 turn from one extreme to another

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What sub-300 quid 29er Sus fork?’ is closed to new replies.