Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What strong dh wheels?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got some Deemax (20mm front, 135mm rear non-convertible) at the moment but looks like any new frame I get will probably be 142mm rear.
    What would be a good replacement?
    Don’t use them too often, maybe 5/6 times a year but like having a spare set of wheels.
    Probably looking at around £3-400 New (or good 2nd hand)

SirHC

I’d recommend flow’s, been running them on my dh bike since March with no issues. They were a Hope factory build and have needed no attention at all with a spoke key, can run the tubeless as well. The Hope Pro2 Hubs can be converted with end caps which makes them future proof.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got Flows on my everyday wheels which are great. I prefer something a bit stronger/tougher for DH tho..

SirHC

2 uplift days at Stiniog, 1 at Forest of Dean and 170miles of DH riding in the alps, they’ve have more than proven themselves!
    Never lost any air and did here the rims contact rocks/roots on a handful of occasions.

deserter
    Free Member

deemax are mavic 823 rims I think, get something based around those, I’ve got 721’s on my dh bike and never had any trouble with hope hubs which as said are pretty versatile for all the different options available these days

Northwind

I’d go and beat up mavic for not making their wheels convertible, first.

I used Flows but no, they are not strong dh wheels, they are barely adequate dh wheels. Not a criticism, they hit way above their weight but it’s not what the OP wants.

Do you want tubeless? One step up from the Flow is the WTB Frequency i25- wider, more dent resistant, also seemed stronger from the limited amount I used mine (to replace a cracked Flow and a flattened Flow Ex!). Still a lighter end dh rim but I was impressed.

I cracked my old 721s all to buggery, at the eyelets… I don’t think it was anything I did, I reckon the eyelet fitting creates little stress risers in the rims ironically, it’s pretty commonplace on mavics. They were tough apart from that, if narrow.

stevied
    Free Member

I think these were made before there were 27 different rear hub combinations 🙄
    Good shout on the WTB’s, mate at work has some and is very impressed.
    Might see how much for a pair built up on some Polish DT 350’s..

zero-cool
    Free Member

521 or 721 on Hope Hubs will be bomb proof. But Stan’s Zflows will survive most things.

paul123
    Free Member

Wtb i-25’s are the same with ad Flow EX aren’t b they Northwind?

Where do Easton Arc 27′ fall against flow’s etc

paul123
    Free Member

That should have read width

Northwind

paul123 – Member

Wtb i-25’s are the same with ad Flow EX aren’t b they Northwind?

So they are! Wonder why I thought they were wider

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What strong dh wheels?’ is closed to new replies.