Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What strings for drop C please….
  • stratobiker
    Free Member

My understanding is that, as a general rule of thumb, you go 1 thou for each semitone.

I normally play 10-46 so 12-xx I dunno.

Any advice?

TVM
    SB

Lifer
    Free Member

Newtone strings do special ‘Drop tuning’ sets which have a thicker core but are the same guage as a ‘normal’ set, basically means that when they’re drop tuned they have the same tension as a standard tuned set. Used their bass sets for a couple of years now, Drop C with a 105 guage (compared to the 130s/135s I was using before) is brilliant!

http://www.newtonestrings.com/

Handmade to order in the UK, usually takes a couple of weeks and slighty more expensive but definitely worth it imo.

EDIT – can see they do a Drop D set as standard would give them a ring, sure they could do it for you!

racefaceec90

is it c,g,c,f,e,d (low to high)am not too great with guitar theory.i think that rose of sharyn by killswitch engaged was tuned to dropped c.when i attempted to tune to that i was on 9-42’s .i reckon that 12’s would be bang on the money.

Lifer
    Free Member

Thicker guage may require some nut and bridge work – one reason the Newtones are so good!

stratobiker
    Free Member

@lifer – yes, tried some 11-52s against the nut on my guitar. It would need some work with a file. Will have a closer look at the newtones. Thanks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

elixers. still the newtone sound interesting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What strings for drop C please….’ is closed to new replies.